• 06-27-2005, 09:11 AM
    m500
    I know I shouldn't be doing it but How do I hook up Center to my NAD 352?
    Saw an incredible deal on an liquidation on MB Quart QLS330BE Center for only $119.00 plus tax/Shipping from MSRT $599.00. Even thought I only have a stereo Integrated Amp NAD C352. I just could not let the deal go. Now I'm stuck with it and don't know what to do? I like to put it to use any suggestions.
  • 06-27-2005, 09:36 AM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by m500
    Saw an incredible deal on an liquidation on MB Quart QLS330BE Center for only $119.00 plus tax/Shipping from MSRT $599.00. Even thought I only have a stereo Integrated Amp NAD C352. I just could not let the deal go. Now I'm stuck with it and don't know what to do? I like to put it to use any suggestions.

This is a suggestion from the depths of my early audio memories. I think I read about this in Stereo Review and I even tried it for awhile. It suggested that if your main speakers had to be a distance apart and you lacked center fill you could hook up a speaker using the positive run from your right and the positive run from the left speaker terminals to the plus and minus of the center speaker. This was from the amps terminals you are already using for your right and left speaker. So you would have speaker cables to your right speaker from the right out put, you would have speaker cables to your left speaker from the left out put and speaker cable from both the positives to your center speaker. Whenever you try anything like this make sure your volume is all the way down and slowly raise it up and listen for distortion. If the amp sounds like it is in distress it probably is. Also David Haffler used to make a circuit that you could add a second set of speakers for a pseudo surround sound effect.
    To continue RL's line We have no bananas today
  • 06-27-2005, 10:19 AM
    Resident Loser
    The Hafler hookup...
    ...which is basically what you are referring to, will provide only out-of-phase info to that center speaker(as it does in the rear "Dyna-quad" application) and will probably muddy any derived front image....ALSO...and this is a big also, from what I understand, it only works with amps that have a common ground...I don't know if the NAD falls in that category...

jimHJJ(...I'd suggest the poster ask NAD before trying it...)

P.S. This fella has no luck or so it would seem...hate to find out the hard way...

P.P.S. The only info I can find on that model number(MBQ QLS330BE) is at the ubid site...usually there is SOMETHING if it's of recent vintage...gray market? Mfr. discontinued? If so, there is nary a mention at the MBQ site...possibly counterfeit?
  • 06-27-2005, 01:03 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...which is basically what you are referring to, will provide only out-of-phase info to that center speaker(as it does in the rear "Dyna-quad" application) and will probably muddy any derived front image....ALSO...and this is a big also, from what I understand, it only works with amps that have a common ground...I don't know if the NAD falls in that category...

jimHJJ(...I'd suggest the poster ask NAD before trying it...)

P.S. This fella has no luck or so it would seem...hate to find out the hard way...

P.P.S. The only info I can find on that model number is at the ubid site...usually there is SOMETHING if it's of recent vintage...gray market? Mfr. discontinued? If so, there is nary a mention at the MBQ site...possibly counterfeit?

RL
    Good advice, thanks for covering my back on this one. lol
  • 06-27-2005, 02:54 PM
    markw
    Yo, Jim!
    'ere ya go, mate.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...52_framset.htm

On the whole, unless he's feeling really froggy, I wouldn't try to hook up a center channel to this. At best it'll sound like Shiite. At worst, it won't sound like anything ...and neither will the R/L speakers.

A bargain is really only a bargain if you can use it. Wanna buy a bumper from a '62 Sunbeam Alpine?
  • 06-28-2005, 04:23 AM
    m500
    I guess now it give myself an excuse to look for a home theater receiver. Anyone wants to take over my 2 month old NAD C352 for $450.00
  • 07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
    hermanv
    1 Attachment(s)
    Speaker summing circuit
    I used this for years to have a mono speaker in the kitchen from our stereo living room system.

1. The transformer secondary should be ~24V AC center tapped with a VA rating the same as the power amp. Do not let the primary wires shortout!!!!

2. The power amp must be of the common ground type of design.

3. The speaker will be probably be louder than the right and left if it has the same sensitivity so a resistor (probably 10 to 25 Watts) needs to be in series.

How does it work? A signal from the right channel only gets divided by 2 by the transformer and applied to the speaker. Ditto a signal form the left channel only a signal from both channels simultaneously does not get divided by 2.