AR Newbie Registered Member

Sound on a budget

Hi everyone this is my first post hope it's in the right place etc!

OK here's what I'd love some feedback on - I have a nice panasonic 42" viera (non HD ready) which is amazing, but I have no budget left for sound. What I have a at the moment is a NAD 310 (i've had since I was 20 - ten years!) and a set of sony speakers from a hifi. Atthe moment I have the tv sound out going into the back of the hifi which is providing as much bass and punch as I'll ever need, but it looks a bit stupid beside the slick tv. I'm really just looking for a very simple amp for £100 - £200 that I can hook up to my existing speakers, the only feature I need is a remote! so should I look for dts or pro logic or any particular brand?

that's it!

thanks,
    Paul

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    helvetica-

This is a pretty confusing post (for me anyway). What's a hifi? If it's just that it looks silly where its at, get some longer cables and move it where you want?

dts and prologic are formats that are processed/decoded by either the TV (pro logic) or a A/V receiver (all), or the DVD player. None are handled by a plain old amp. Isn't the NAD an integrated AMP anyway? Why replace it? If you're taking the audio signal from from the TV L/R outs there isn't any processing left to do anyway.

If you're using the sound outs fromt the TV you can run the volume from that. L/R outs to the NAD, NAD to speakers. Whats missing?

it sounds great but looks funny?

Here's a news flash... the styling has not changed drastically since the time your amp was made, particularly where integrated amps are concerned. Even moreso with NAD. They are still utt bugly but sound great..

Thanks Mark W, I thought the nad was just fine allright, unfortunately it's broken at the moment, might look into a repair now though. Alternatively, would you recommend a similarly functional system with a remote?

Noddy - you can google the meaning of hi-fi, it's an abbreviation of high-fidelity, here's a picture of one .

so to take advantage of surround sound I need a compatible amp plugged directly into the source (i.e. dvd player), it that correct? Am I not missing out a little with my existing amp? what difference does an integrated amp make?

thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    helvetica-

This is a pretty confusing post (for me anyway). What's a hifi? If it's just that it looks silly where its at, get some longer cables and move it where you want?

dts and prologic are formats that are processed/decoded by either the TV (pro logic) or a A/V receiver (all), or the DVD player. None are handled by a plain old amp. Isn't the NAD an integrated AMP anyway? Why replace it? If you're taking the audio signal from from the TV L/R outs there isn't any processing left to do anyway.

If you're using the sound outs fromt the TV you can run the volume from that. L/R outs to the NAD, NAD to speakers. Whats missing?

To take advantage of surround sound...

...you'll need, along with a multi-channel amplifier/receiver, at least three additional speakers to go with your existing two speakers. Also, a subwoofer is not mandatory but very, very highly recommended in order to avail yourself of the dynamic visceral effects that sells HT to the masses.

As for an integrated amp vs. a receiver, well, a receiver is simply an integrated amp (simply a preamp/power amp on one chassis) with a tuner thrown in the mix.

As to what's available in your price range, I may not be much help. I'm in the US and from the pound sterling sign you use, I assume you are in one of the British countries. There's a whole lot we have access to that you don't, and vise versa.

From what I gather from reading What HiFi? years ago youse guys seem to have more of an interest in mid level "stereo" than most people (and marketers) here in the states. If you choose to stay in hte two channel world, I believe this can work towards your advantage.

So, which way do you want to go? Multi-channel or simply replace the amp/receiver with a two channel unit?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helvetica
    Noddy - you can google the meaning of hi-fi, it's an abbreviation of high-fidelity, here's a picture of one .

so to take advantage of surround sound I need a compatible amp plugged directly into the source (i.e. dvd player), it that correct? Am I not missing out a little with my existing amp? what difference does an integrated amp make?

thanks for the feedback
    Yes, I know what hifi means...but it doesn't indicate an all-in-on unit component like the picture in US usage, so I didn't know what you were talking about. But, yes, first make sure the DVD player has multi-channel analog outs. Then the DVD player will decode the multi-channel information an output it to a suitable amp. What you're missing out on with your current amp, as markw said, is the multiple channels of amplification to multiple speakers that would give true 5 channel surround sound. 2-channel surround exists (2 channel Dolby) but its basically stereo that is processed to give the impression of a center channel. This would work with your current NAD, and may currently work if your TV processes 2 channel Dolby.

ok thanks for all the feedback lads, v useful

Thread Information