AR Newbie Registered Member

hybrid vs all tube ??

I am very interested in switching to tube components.
    However, primarily because of cost considerations, I might first try the "hybrid" way..
    In order to get most of the benefits of the "tube experience", which component should be tube powered : preamp or amp ?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    The conventional wisdom is putting a tubed pre in your audio chain is the best single place to start.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Suspended
    Most like the midrange and warmth of tubes but like to maintain the bass control and punch, so tube pre and SS power.

Personally, once I started down the path I wasn't satisfied until I had all tube. I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for but I knew when I found it.

The earlier the tubes are in the amplification chain the more of the tube sound you will get. If you are using a receiver or preamp that has no phono stage a tube phono preamp will make vinyl sound even better than it already does. Next best for that "tube" sound is a tube preamp. I'm with Mr Peabody. The more tube stages you have the better the sound. Although I use SS for my sub woofers tube power amps are what make my ESL's really sing.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction..
    Although my ultimate goal would be to go with tubes for every stage, a tube preamp combined with a solid state power amp might be the most cost efficient way to proceed.

Thread Information