What does class A, B, or A/B mean?

I've been reading threads and I'm wondering what does class A, B or A/B mean. Just curious.

Thanks

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I've been reading threads and I'm wondering what does class A, B or A/B mean. Just curious.

Thanks
    See the following link for an explanation of amplifier operating classes. Although it describes the operation of tube amplification, the principles are identical for solid state devices.
    http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/ampclasses.html

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Hmm think of it like a letter grade rating

Class A is the best (usually the best but occassionally bested by A/B on a good day when the moon is blue)
    A/B is not quite an A so it's next best (some pretty good ones)
    Class B is in last place and is worst. (Enter most Receivers and Naim)
    Class D is lousy
    Class T is marketing drivel

Generally speaking as silly as the above is stated -- in my epxerience it holds true of most of the stuff I have heard..

If you can put SE after the class A you're (Super Excellent)

And if you can put SEP after the class A you're (Super Excellent Posh)

And if you can put SET after the class A you're (Super Excellent To-the-max)

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/25e.htm

And from the Class A SET guru's perspective http://www.triodeandco.com/levelsystem.html

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA

Class A is the best (usually the best but occassionally bested by A/B on a good day when the moon is blue)
    Class D is lousy

Generally speaking as silly as the above is stated -- in my epxerience it holds true of most of the stuff I have heard..

And from the Class A SET guru's perspective http://www.triodeandco.com/levelsystem.html
    You really need to listen to a lot more amplifiers, your SET guru is simply trying sell product like every other bloke/gal, the blurb is marketing hot air, it is called market differentiation.

A Class A topology simply consumes more power, it has been demonstrated again and again that well designed Class AB amplifiers are as good. It is simply impossible to build good Class A amp with reasonable power (5Wpch SS amps anyone) as cheaply as an equivalent Class A/AB, as a result the entry point of Class A amplifiers is much higher, you are not going to see a Class A amplifier at NAD320BEE prices or Rotel RA-01 prices, it ain't gonna happen and those cost savings are reflected in the sound, there is no free lunch.

Class D amplifiers is making inroads because they generally handle adverse loads better than the more traditional topologies at a more modest cost, hence their increasing popularity amongst planar speaker owners.

The sound of an amplifier is largely determined by its load handling xteristics ( impedance, disortion spectrum etc.).

Sounds like the old you, RGA

Class D is lousy

Our guy askes what A, B, A/B mean: you tell him which sounds best -- in your own opinion, of course.

Speaking of opinions, mine is that my "Class T", (Tripath) amps sounds great. Tripath is a proprietary technology that is a significant variant on the established PWM, (pulse width modulation), approach. Just "marketing drivel", no! Better than others? Not necessarily, but like I said ...

Oh, and I thought SET meant ...

"Stupid, expired technology" ...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Don't waste time on him

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Our guy askes what A, B, A/B mean: you tell him which sounds best -- in your own opinion, of course.

Speaking of opinions, mine is that my "Class T", (Tripath) amps sounds great. Tripath is a proprietary technology that is a significant variant on the established PWM, (pulse width modulation), approach. Just "marketing drivel", no! Better than others? Not necessarily, but like I said ...
    He's already proven beyond a doubt that his opinion is worthless when it comes to amps or speakers.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the links and replies. I will have to give the articles a couple of more go overs to get a better since of it.

So from what I could grasp. The class A seems to be on top when it comes to sound, I believe the words no distortion and highest fidelity were used, but the least efficient.

So how important is efficiency?

Thanks
    Class A amplifier - Class A operation is where both devices conduct continuously for the entire cycle of signal swing, or the bias current flows in the output devices at all times. The key ingredient of class A operation is that both devices are always on. There is no condition where one or the other is turned off. Because of this, class A amplifiers are single-ended designs with only one type polarity output devices. Class A is the most inefficient of all power amplifier designs, averaging only around 20%. Because of this, class A amplifiers are large, heavy and run very hot. All this is due to the amplifier constantly operating at full power. The positive effect of all this is that class A designs are inherently the most linear, with the least amount of distortion.

Class B amplifier - Class B operation is the opposite of class A. Both output devices are never allowed to be on at the same time, or the bias is set so that current flow in a specific output device is zero when not stimulated with an input signal, i.e., the current in a specific output flows for one half cycle. Thus each output device is on for exactly one half of a complete sinusoidal signal cycle. Due to this operation, class B designs show high efficiency but poor linearity around the crossover region. This is due to the time it takes to turn one device off and the other device on, which translates into extreme crossover distortion. Thus restricting class B designs to power consumption critical applications, e.g., battery operated equipment, such as 2-way radio and other communications audio.

Class AB amplifier - Class AB operation allows both devices to be on at the same time (like in class A), but just barely. The output bias is set so that current flows in a specific output device appreciably more than a half cycle but less than the entire cycle. That is, only a small amount of current is allowed to flow through both devices, unlike the complete load current of class A designs, but enough to keep each device operating so they respond instantly to input voltage demands. Thus the inherent non-linearity of class B designs is eliminated, without the gross inefficiencies of the class A design. It is this combination of good efficiency (around 50%) with excellent linearity that makes class AB the most popular audio amplifier design.

Class AB plus B amplifier - Class AB plus B design involves two pairs of output devices: one pair operates class AB while the other (slave) pair operates class B.

Class D amplifier - Class D operation is switching, hence the term switching power amplifier. Here the output devices are rapidly switched on and off at least twice for each cycle. Since the output devices are either completely on or completely off they do not theoretically dissipate any power. Consequently class D operation is theoretically 100% efficient, but this requires zero on-impedance switches with infinitely fast switching times -- a product we're still waiting for; meanwhile designs do exist with true efficiencies approaching 90%.

Class G amplifier - Class G operation involves changing the power supply voltage from a lower level to a higher level when larger output swings are required. There have been several ways to do this. The simplest involves a single class AB output stage that is connected to two power supply rails by a diode, or a transistor switch. The design is such that for most musical program material, the output stage is connected to the lower supply voltage, and automatically switches to the higher rails for large signal peaks. Another approach uses two class AB output stages, each connected to a different power supply voltage, with the magnitude of the input signal determining the signal path. Using two power supplies improves efficiency enough to allow significantly more power for a given size and weight. Class G is becoming common for pro audio designs.

Class H amplifier - Class H operation takes the class G design one step further and actually modulates the higher power supply voltage by the input signal. This allows the power supply to track the audio input and provide just enough voltage for optimum operation of the output devices. The efficiency of class H is comparable to class G designs.

http://www.audiolab.com/glossary/#C

My QSC SRA 6322 is a class H
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    He's already proven beyond a doubt that his opinion is worthless when it comes to amps or speakers.
    Really You've proven that. Man when one posts humour you guys are just so one track minded -- everything is an attack on yor penis. LOL. Not there is much there it seems.

It's just a hobby
    Really You've proven that. Man when one posts humour you guys are just so one track minded -- everything is an attack on yor penis. LOL. Not there is much there it seems.
    The problem with a lot of "so called" humour is that it is at another's expense, as for your "humorous" post, it read very much like the marketing blurb link you posted, so much for your lame attempt at humour.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Actually I think Peter 's negative levels are pretty humorous as well and meant as such to stir the pot. After listening to all the gear I have over the last 15 years -- the industry needs a stirring.

Like I said which no one reads (usually the best but occassionally bested by A/B on a good day when the moon is blue)...sure being heavey handed but ime this has held true at least when like dollars are considered. Sure you won;t get a good very cheap Class A amplifier (Though the AQ1003DT isn't expensive and it's quite good) but then I have yet to hear a good cheap amp of any design. The Nad 320Bee is possibly the worst amplifier I have ever heard in all my years listening to new non receivers -- maybe a defect in the batch we heard but -- shudder - I would buy a receiver at the same retail price from anybody over what I heard out of that thing and when it can make my Marantz receiver sound good in comparison then I know that NAD has issues. No doubt the rags eat it up as some budget integrated saviour of the world.

Ohh not a fact just my opinion based of what I heard directly against another SS amp of about the same money in the Rotel. I have never owned a Rotel product in my life and don;t like them all that much -- I own an NAD. Just so people know there is no favortism.

I have listened to amplifiers from Naim, Rotel, YBA, Classe, Bryston, Krell, Mark Levinson, Copland, ASL, AN, Jolida, Pioneer Elite, Arcam, NAD, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sugden, Sim Audio, Cyrus, Meridian, EAD, Musical Fidelity, Nuvista, Audio Refinement, McIntosh, Linn, Rega, Jadis, Sony ES, Adcom, Odyssey, Panasonic, Nakamichi, Anthem, BAT, Audio Research, Roksan, Parasound

Granted I would like to hear more than this list and the above is off the top of my head so perhaps I do need to hear something that would be considered cutting edge class B designs or A/B...and some of what I have heard from the above I have liked...still prefer those of the class A department within reasonable price ranges..
    Last edited by RGA; 10-07-2005 at 11:55 PM.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for the links and replies. I will have to give the articles a couple of more go overs to get a better since of it.

So from what I could grasp. The class A seems to be on top when it comes to sound, I believe the words no distortion and highest fidelity were used, but the least efficient.

So how important is efficiency?
    Well efficiency is how easy it is for the amp to drive a speaker. This is a speaker issue not an amp issue when it comes to driving the stereo system. Class A amps run full on all the time and convert unnused energy into heat (thus class A amps tend to get very hot compared to other designs and they also tend to have fewer watts. But then so what - none of that negatively impacts anything - unless you have speakers that require a ton of watts...and generally speakers that require a tone of watts are not that great. Rarely do I comne across ineficient speakers that are any good...and the ones that are good are still beaten by something else of higher efficiency (which doesn't mean higher sensitivity necessarily).

The Energy are quite good and a highly competant design offerring very nice value for the money and they are relatively efficient and sensitive which means you do not have to spend $10,000.00 on big Krell to get a remotely decent volume level. Energy would be happy with a good quality 25 watter such as the Sugden A21a class A SE amplifier. But don't take my word for it - take the amp home for a weekend from a dealer and give it a listen -- or the ASL AQ 1003DT which is cooler looking cheaper and a tube amp and has a remote - it should be more than plenty with your speakers. But tube amps do require work from you to "tune up" now and then but offers a fun aspect that is worth investigating in its own right

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_r...slaq1003dt.htm

The Audio Refinemnt "Complete" would be one of the better non pure class a designs. The Complete is basically a YBA integre (well in between a YBA integre and a YBA Integre DT - DT means double transformer which the first Integre did not have)) - many of the same parts in the YBA are in the Audio Refinements - But instead of being $2500.00 built in France the complete is $995 and built in the Far East.

It's not quite as good but then it's close enough http://www.audiorefinement.com/ It has more watts than the other amps but you would want to listen as many of these more watt amps tend to sound leaner than say the Sugden. The Sugden has a more vivid full sensation with real body and texture - an organic sound - which the AR doesn't really attain - but then the Sugden costs a fair chunk more and it damn well should be better. I'd go used anyway for most of this. Defintely try before you buy as the combination of your speakers the amp and your ears is what counts here.

It's just a hobby
    I have listened to amplifiers from Naim, Rotel, YBA, Classe, Bryston, Krell, Mark Levinson, Copland, ASL, AN, Jolida, Pioneer Elite, Arcam, NAD, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sugden, Sim Audio, Cyrus, Meridian, EAD, Musical Fidelity, Nuvista, Audio Refinement, McIntosh, Linn, Rega, Jadis, Sony ES, Adcom, Odyssey, Panasonic, Nakamichi, Anthem, BAT, Audio Research, Roksan, Parasound.
    How many have you listened to in your system? Or with systems that you are intimately familiar with? all the difference in the world.

It's just a hobby

Efficiency

Well efficiency is how easy it is for the amp to drive a speaker.
    Wrong context, efficiency here refers to how efficiently does the amplifier convert input power to output power. And in this context Class A is the least efficient and Class D the most efficient, the rest are in between.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Wrong context, efficiency here refers to how efficiently does the amplifier convert input power to output power. And in this context Class A is the least efficient and Class D the most efficient, the rest are in between.
    Did I not say that? "Class A amps run full on all the time and convert unnused energy into heat (thus class A amps tend to get very hot compared to other designs and they also tend to have fewer watts). But then so what - none of that negatively impacts anything - unless you have speakers that require a ton of watts

I suppose I could have said it is least efficienct because it runs full on all the time and thus converts energy into heat rather than having it sent to the speaker - but surely you could have put the two together since it is together.

I have listened to many amps on the same systems not all on AN speakers of course but then the only review magazine that does that is UHF and then that does not necessarily mean you would agree with their reference speaker or that it was a good match.

If you are trying to say that system synergy is important and maybe a a given Classe amp that I have not been impressed with driving B&W or Martin Logan would work better on say a Von Sweikert or an Elac and that I might like system like this -- then I certainnly would concede that point to you - wow an RGA and TAH consensus maybe on a point that maybe system synergy counts a damn for something -- what do you say have we finally maybe even got close to almost agreeing on something I have been impressed with Bryston/PMC -- so don't take my tube only stance literally -- I am NOT a tube is better than transistor person -- I go by what I've heard so far and I'm open minded enough to change my mind if someone can convince me in the listening. PMC with my amp for example I'm betting would be a disaster - maybe not but I would not expect much.

Thread Information