Forum Regular

Subwoofer wiring with stereo integrated amplifier - help

Awhile back, I bought some cheap second-hand tower speakers and proceeded to buy an amplifier thereafter to connect to my PC. They work great, at the time I did not bother with the subwoofer that came with the speakers, but as I feel I am missing out on some valuable bass I want to connect it to my amplifier...but I'm having problems with the wiring.

The amplifier that I have gives options for 2 speakers, or two rows of 4 wire outputs. My tower speakers are wired into speakers-1 and work fine. When I add my subwoofer to speakers-2, it works, but I cannot get both speaker outputs to run at the same time. Is there something I am missing with the wiring? Or is my amp not capable of a subwoofer? - If so, can someone suggest a cheap-ish amplifier that will work?

Thank you.

My amplifier: Dual CV 6010 Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine

Suspended
    How many input wires to the sub? So your amp has for speakers an "A" & "B" setting but not A+B?

Is the sub set to where you can run speaker wires to the sub then from he sub to the speakers?

Did you try pushing in both the A and B speaker buttons at the same time? If this does not work then you can connect the subwoofer to the same speaker terminals that your speakers are connected too ( I am assuming that the subwoofer has speaker level inputs for standard speaker wire). I am also assuming that your subwoofer is powered and not a passive sub, meaning that the sub has it's own internal amplifier.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Sorry for getting back to this so late. I know what the problem is, or at least I have a pretty good idea, but I am not sure how to fix it or if it's something that can be fix at all.

If you can see in the picture, my left and right tower speakers are on the speakers 1 row. With my subwoofer on the row below(the one with the green circle around it, I've tried different wire arrangements on the row). Yes, I can select both rows to play, but when I do the only thing that will play is one of the tower speakers...which is then more quieter with more bass than usual. When I choose just the row below, only the subwoofer will play - as expected. So I'm guessing that the problem is the amplifier itself, as I read somewhere that subwoofers should work even if there isn't a dedicated sub output?

Any ideas on the wire arrangement perhaps? Or if there is something else I have missed? Any help is much appreciated

Subwoofer wiring with stereo integrated amplifier - help-wp_20150505_16_26_30_pro.jpg

Thank you in advance again, I should reply much quicker this time

If your picture shows the way you have your speakers connected they are not properly connected. Please read the manual for your system. All four of the connectors on the upper panel should have wires going to them. You need a red and black connection for each (left and right) speaker. The subwoofer probably has the same connections.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    If your picture shows the way you have your speakers connected they are not properly connected. Please read the manual for your system. All four of the connectors on the upper panel should have wires going to them. You need a red and black connection for each (left and right) speaker. The subwoofer probably has the same connections.
    All of the connectors on the upper panel are wired. Sorry if it might look like it doesn't, but I assure you they are(I'll take a side-on picture if you want). The wires I have for the speakers are both black, only the subwoofer is different with one white and one half-white.
    I guess if you look at the wire coming into the connectors, you'll see they're two stuck together and then they separate.

And to add, the speakers themselves work great.

The subwoofer connect is still wrong. All four terminals on number 2 should be connected to your sub.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    The subwoofer connect is still wrong. All four terminals on number 2 should be connected to your sub.
    I only have 2 wires(+ and - just like the speakers) for the subwoofer, am I suppose to have more? If there is, then there is no sign of any wires being removed or cut from the subwoofer that I have.

Charm Thai™
    I agree with JoeE. You should have both Left + and - as well as Right + and - connections from the subwoofer to row 2 of the integrated. Can you take a picture of the back of the subwoofer as well? The model and brand of your speaker package could help too.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    I agree with JoeE. You should have both Left + and - as well as Right + and - connections from the subwoofer to row 2 of the integrated. Can you take a picture of the back of the subwoofer as well? The model and brand of your speaker package could help too.
    Here, a picture of the back label on the subwoofer and the 2 wires that come out of it too.
    Subwoofer wiring with stereo integrated amplifier - help-wp_20150506_17_04_38_pro.jpgSubwoofer wiring with stereo integrated amplifier - help-wp_20150506_17_03_38_pro.jpg

The link below is for the manual. What you have are the speakers from an all in one system. You are going to continue to have problems connecting such stuff to "real" audio gear. My advice is, forget about the "sub" and buy a real subwoofer. However, you might want to upgrade your speakers first.

Jvc SP-WS3 Manuals

Thread Information