• 09-18-2005, 03:21 PM
    JonW
    How to add a tuner to a pre-pro? Use a cheap receiver?
    I’m probably going to get myself a preamp-processor. The Audio Refinement Pre2-DSP is currently at the top of the list. Anyways, I will want to listen to some radio, so I need to get a tuner of some sort. Most of my radio listening is talk (National Public Radio) on AM (horrors!- it’s all we’ve got out here). So sound quality is going to be awful, no matter what I do. No need to spend tons on some audiophile tuner. So do I just buy a really cheap ($100) receiver and use that for radio, plugged into the pre pro somehow? Or is it not that simple? Are there other ways I should do this? Thanks.
  • 09-19-2005, 09:57 AM
    sam9
    If all you want is NPR, get a small portable AM/FM unit. Then get a cable that that has the 3.5mm mico phono jack on one end and a pair of RCAs on the other. Connect it to AUX. I have one that cost me $10. It sounds like it is either mono or nearly zip separation, but who care for "Car Talk"? The shocking part is how good it sounds when the tiny internal amp and 25 cent speaker are bypassed. The FM part is probably just a standard IC that is also found in a lot of recievers. Also the telescope antena seems to pull in stuff as well as some fancy powered antenas.

Give it try. You will be out $20 max. If it does what need why bother with more.
  • 09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
    JonW
    Excellent idea! That's super. Really, there's no need to be more complicated than that.

Now I just have to find a cheap radio to look OK on the stereo equipment rack. :cool:

Car Talk is great! I love those guys. Turns out I spent 4 years living just around the corner from their garage. I was a poor student then, so I didn't have a car or listen to their show. But they're really great. I'm becoming more of an NPR junkie as I get older. this stereo system should be good for getting me back into real music. It's all fun. :)
  • 09-19-2005, 02:33 PM
    eBay?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JonW
    I’m probably going to get myself a preamp-processor. The Audio Refinement Pre2-DSP is currently at the top of the list. Anyways, I will want to listen to some radio, so I need to get a tuner of some sort. Most of my radio listening is talk (National Public Radio) on AM (horrors!- it’s all we’ve got out here). So sound quality is going to be awful, no matter what I do. No need to spend tons on some audiophile tuner. So do I just buy a really cheap ($100) receiver and use that for radio, plugged into the pre pro somehow? Or is it not that simple? Are there other ways I should do this? Thanks.

You might also want to check out the many FM tuners that are available second-hand on eBay. Start with http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ to find one that has the features you like and then hunt for it on eBay. The suggested prices listed on fmtunerinfo.com are fairly accurate to what you can expect to pay, although the site does not delve too deep into the many late 80's and 90's tuners that are available and some of these are quite decent for the money. I bought a very clean yamaha tuner (not listed on the site) for $8 and it has worked just fine. I think it was $125 new, so this was a bargain. Since you're not looking for high sound quality, look for one that has AM and FM presets and you should be ready to go.

Most of the tuners you'll find on eBay will connect to your preamp with a standard RCA cable. As a matter of fact most preamps will have a dedicated "tuner" RCA input, although I don't know if your AR does (not familiar with it), although you should be able to use any of the RCA inputs for your tuner.

And yes, you could also find an inexpensive receiver to do this, and you would use the same RCA link to connect it to your preamp. But you'd be adding more than you need. .

Hope this helps.
  • 09-19-2005, 03:47 PM
    JonW
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    You might also want to check out the many FM tuners that are available second-hand on eBay. Start with http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ to find one that has the features you like and then hunt for it on eBay. The suggested prices listed on fmtunerinfo.com are fairly accurate to what you can expect to pay, although the site does not delve too deep into the many late 80's and 90's tuners that are available and some of these are quite decent for the money. I bought a very clean yamaha tuner (not listed on the site) for $8 and it has worked just fine. I think it was $125 new, so this was a bargain. Since you're not looking for high sound quality, look for one that has AM and FM presets and you should be ready to go.

Most of the tuners you'll find on eBay will connect to your preamp with a standard RCA cable. As a matter of fact most preamps will have a dedicated "tuner" RCA input, although I don't know if your AR does (not familiar with it), although you should be able to use any of the RCA inputs for your tuner.

And yes, you could also find an inexpensive receiver to do this, and you would use the same RCA link to connect it to your preamp. But you'd be adding more than you need. .

Hope this helps.

Another super idea- thanks!

Just picking a tuner from ebay, essentially blind, would be silly. But that link is a wonderful resource- didn't know about it. And I wouldn't have guessed you can land a decent tuner so cheaply. Perfect.
  • 09-19-2005, 04:54 PM
    StanleyMuso
    Also, don't forget
    second hand shops and pawn shops. I picked up a cheap tuner once in a pawn shop which did the job quite well until I could afford something better.