esc0bar
    Hesitating between 3 receivers..
    Hello,

I'm quite hesitant between 3 receivers.
    Prices in canadian dollars...

Pioneer VSX 9130 at 800$
    HK AVR354 at 900$
    Marentz SR5003 at 1000$

I also tried a Yamaha with the same speakers as the Marentz and prefered the Marentz... speakers were Focal 714V.

I first wanted to but the HK but the sellers both discouraged me. One even had the HK and the Pioneer and still pushed me towards the Pioneer. He said it had more features and would produce better video quality. The other seller did not sell the HK, but he looked at the specs and said it's overrated for the price, he showed me a Yamaha with similar specs with Paradigm and Focal speakers. It was alright. Then I tried the same Focal speakers with the Marentz and liked it.

My main problem is I have no idea which of these receivers is better and there's no way for me to lsiten to them side by side since none of the sellers have the 3 receivers. Looking at the specs... they seem quite similar.

Anyone has any experience and adive with these? I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks.
  • 08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
    blackraven
    1 Vote for the Marantz! Also consider the Onkyo 806.
  • 08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
    esc0bar
    The only store with the Onkyo, the owner didnt really want to sell the Onkyo. I first asked to lsiten to the HK, he then told me the pioneer was more quality for a lesser price. I asked for the Onkyo and he said it's good, but has a lot of bass and since I complaiend about the JBL speakers bass, he said it's not worth trying.
  • 08-04-2009, 06:52 PM
    frahengeo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by esc0bar
    The only store with the Onkyo, the owner didnt really want to sell the Onkyo. I first asked to lsiten to the HK, he then told me the pioneer was more quality for a lesser price. I asked for the Onkyo and he said it's good, but has a lot of bass and since I complaiend about the JBL speakers bass, he said it's not worth trying.

Sounds like the Sales Person has some ulterior motive for selling Pioneer. He or She may receive a more favorable commission for pushing a particular brand. You should be allowed to listen for yourself and make that determination.
    When you say "better", what features are you viewing. Power, Features, Ergonomics, Aesthetics, all of the above?
  • 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
    blackraven
    I think that salesman was trying to push Pioneer on you. Listen to the Onkyo. Its probably the best of the lot with the exception of maybe the Marantz.