AR Newbie Registered Member

Arrow help selecting amp to connect 10.2 Bose floorstanders to my PC

Hello --

I've been gifted with two 3' high Bose 10.2 floorstanders, and I would like to hook them up to my PC's sound card.

I've learned that this is possible by acquiring an amplifier which has PC-like inputs. I have no idea how to go about buying this amplifier.

Here's what I know:
    The Bose 10.2 floorstanders have an impedance of 4 ohms. Means nothing to me though.
    Wattage is not listed on the metal stamp of the 10.2 speakers.

Now, my dream would be to be able to integrate these 10.2 speakers into my existing 5.1 sound PC desktop speakers. In other words, I am wondering if such an amplifier exists such that of my 5.1 sound ...
    (a) FL/FR/Center could be routed to my existing PC desktop speakers.
    (b) RL/RR could be routed to the Bose 10.2 speakers.

This implies that the amplifier would have both PC-like outputs and also old stereo wire outputs.

Does such an amplifier exist? Can you make suggestions to make/model? How does impedance affect what I purchase?

Thanks very much for any help!!

Welcome, graffen

Quote Originally Posted by graffen
    Hello --

I've been gifted with two 3' high Bose 10.2 floorstanders, and I would like to hook them up to my PC's sound card.

Thanks very much for any help!!
    What amplfier are you using now to power those Bose? Changes are you can continue to use it, once you have hooked it up to your computer.

This topic could quickly become fairly complicated, but the simplest thing to do would be to connect your sound card's output, probably a 3.5mm miniplug, to a miniplug-to-RCA stereo adaptor, then connect to your current amp with a pair RCA interconnect cables. Normal amplier stereo input is, of course, a pair RCA connectors.

The adaptor I refer to looks like this ...
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-294

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Feanor wrote . . .

What amplfier are you using now to power those Bose? Changes are you can continue to use it, once you have hooked it up to your computer.

This topic could quickly become fairly complicated, but the simplest thing to do would be to connect your sound card's output, probably a 3.5mm miniplug, to a miniplug-to-RCA stereo adaptor, then connect to your current amp with a pair RCA interconnect cables. Normal amplier stereo input is, of course, a pair RCA connectors.

The adaptor I refer to looks like this ...
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-294
    Thank you for replying. I have only the Bose 10.2 speakers -- and nothing else. I have never owned an amplifier or a receiver. This is good, in a sense, because I get to start fresh and (hopefully) purchase the one piece of equipment (an amp, I guess?) which does the trick.

Thank you for the mention of the piece of equipment and description. As I understand what you have written, it would provide only 2 channels of audio, but that might do the trick given that I only want the Bose 10.2s to be my Rear Right and Read Left.

Please doublecheck me here on what I am going to try to pull off is a 5.1 sound, as follows:

(1) From the green sound card output --> existing desktop PC speaker

(2) From the yellow sound card output --> existing desktop PC speaker FL & FR

(3) From the black sound card output --> a miniplug-to-RCA adapter --> pair of RCA interconnect cables --> an amplifier --> traditional stereo speaker wire --> into Bose 10.2s

What do you think? I accept all corrections because I am simply piecing my learning together!

Thanks!

Yep, pretty much

Thank you for the mention of the piece of equipment and description. As I understand what you have written, it would provide only 2 channels of audio, but that might do the trick given that I only want the Bose 10.2s to be my Rear Right and Read Left.

Please doublecheck me here on what I am going to try to pull off is a 5.1 sound, as follows:

(1) From the green sound card output --> existing desktop PC speaker

(2) From the yellow sound card output --> existing desktop PC speaker FL & FR

(3) From the black sound card output --> a miniplug-to-RCA adapter --> pair of RCA interconnect cables --> an amplifier --> traditional stereo speaker wire --> into Bose 10.2s

What do you think? I accept all corrections because I am simply piecing my learning together!

Thanks!
    OK, that's fills me in a little better. As for item (3), above, yes, this is exactly what I suggested. There are other alternatives of course.

I'm not personally familiar with the Bose 10.2's; how do they compare in quality to you other speakers? If they're better than the others, maybe you ought to make them your FL & FR speakers. For the rear speakers you also have the option of a pair of self-powered computer speakers or active, near-field monitors. That way you'd replaced the Bose instead of buying an amplfier.

But a nice amp for non-self-powered speakers would be this one ...
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-958
    It accepts a 3.5mm stereo miniplug directly -- no need for the adaptor I mentioned earlier.

Feanor wrote ...

OK, that's fills me in a little better. As for item (3), above, yes, this is exactly what I suggested. There are other alternatives of course.
    Thank you for confirming my scheme above. You've been hugely helpful. I totally understand what you are saying regarding speaker quality versus Front and Rear decisions. However, this particular setup is ruled by physical object space. So then -- just to recap -- from my one PC sound card I could (as I understand) pull all of this off on a 5.1 sound output basis. As I sit looking at the monitor, the green and yellow plugs from my sound card will provide my desktop speakers with front left, front right, and center.
    And, several feet behind me will be these large floorstanders -- they will go through the black plug on my sound card, into the amp you recommended, and out via speaker wire to those Bose 10.2 speakers. Does this sound good to you?

Feanor wrote ...

For the rear speakers you also have the option of a pair of self-powered computer speakers or active, near-field monitors. That way you'd replaced the Bose instead of buying an amplifier.
    This is another good idea. In this case, I really want to try the Bose speakers, as the guy who gave them to me assures me the experience is worth it. I am willing to spend the $60 on the amp you mentioned to make it happen, so long as my plan is sound. (no pun intended)

Feanor wrote ...

But a nice amp for non-self-powered speakers would be this one ...
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-958
    It accepts a 3.5mm stereo miniplug directly -- no need for the adaptor I mentioned earlier.
    And just to confirm, this particular amp is OK with my 4 ohm Bose speakers, yes? The guy who gave the speakers to me said, "You do need a pretty heavy
    receiver to run them. They will burn out a 8 Ohm output system if not
    fused properly-but then you cannot get their true out put."
    Heck I don't even know what he is talking about there. I will get his help for the fusing part, but the amp specs must match his "avoid burn out" status that he mentions above. I would appreciate help knowing if the amp you recommended is good for that disaster.

Again, thank you !!!

And, several feet behind me will be these large floorstanders -- they will go through the black plug on my sound card, into the amp you recommended, and out via speaker wire to those Bose 10.2 speakers. Does this sound good to you?
    And just to confirm, this particular amp is OK with my 4 ohm Bose speakers, yes? The guy who gave the speakers to me said, "You do need a pretty heavy receiver to run them. They will burn out a 8 Ohm output system if not fused properly-but then you cannot get their true out put."

Again, thank you !!!
    Graffen, I guess I missed the point the Bose 10.2 are "large floorstanders" and to be several feet behind. The setup you're talking about is unsual but could work fine.

Your advisor is right to caution you about the low, 4 ohm impedance issue. The amp I mentioned is rated for 4 ohm, (i.e. can handle relatively low impedance and high current draw), but is not very powerful -- depending on the "sensitivity" of the 10.2's and the distance behind you, that amp might not have enough power. If the distance is greater than say 3-4 feet and if the Bose' sensitivity is less than 88dB, you might be better with an amp that produces 30+ watts at 4 ohms.

Any such amp will work even though you'll have to use a stereo miniplug to RCA adaptor for most.

OK, I think you have helped me to prepare for a buying decision. Just one more tweak below, which has me asking you to recommend a different model (or perhaps make and model) than the amp you recommended already earlier in this thread.

Since the stereo wire from amp to Bose 10.2 speakers will be 5-6 feet, I need a recommendation for an amp which: (you will notice a wattage change below)
    1) is rated for impedance of 4 ohms
    2) provides 30 watts (or more) per channel at full volume, at that impedance
    3) has the appropriate inputs (PC like, or RCA in combo with the adapter you mention)
    4) has the appropriate speaker wire type outputs

Thank you and I'm ready to buy when you can make a recommendation.
    Again, you've been awesome!!

Thread Information