Yes, I am an idiot...

...who knows nothing about audio equipment, and who wants to set up a mid-fi rig for <$1,000.

However, I do know how to recognize good advice. Hope you all can help:

I'm looking for a 2-channel amp/preamp setup (or integrated amp) for less than $400 (used is OK). I'm looking for the best bang for the buck I can get. I was looking at the Harmon/Kardon 3480 receiver, but after further research it looks like I really want an amp.

I've already decided on the Magnepan MMG's, so my amp needs enough juice to drive them. My room is about 15' width X 20' length X 8' height. I don't plan to blast the rig up to concert-level decibles (my tinnitus is bad enough already), but I to want to turn it up on occasion. I like a wide variety of music, including rock, jazz, blues, classical and electronica, so I need versatility. I realize the MMG's are light on the <70hz bass, but that's OK for now.

From what I've read on this site so far, it looks like a Rotel amp might be what I'm looking for. Can you help me find one (and a preamp to go with it)? Links to Audiogon, EBay etc. are appreciated. I'm open to other suggestions too, not married to Rotel.

Thanks much,
    Mike

Welcome to the board Mike,

At your price point, I think you'd be best served by an integrated amp. This is a pre-amp and amp combined in one chassis. The main advantages to an integrated are that it takes up less space and you don't have to worry as much about synergy between the pre and amp. Trust me, the latter is harder than it sounds. You'll need to get a tuner if you listen to the radio, but they're cheap and it seems like most people are getting Sirius or XM modules instead.

If you want to go new, the usual suspects are the Rotel RA01, NAD c320bee, and Cambridge Audio Azur 540a. I use the CA and drive 4 ohm speakers all day long without a hint of strain or overheating so it has plenty of juice for the MMG, a speaker that isn't all that hard to drive. The other two are also worthy contenders. Audition each and decide which is best for you. Fair warning: If you want the remote for the Rotel, it's a $100(!) option.

If you don't mind used, I'd check out audiogon.com and see if you can find a nice Creek or Roksan integrated. For giggles, you might consider tubes from Jolida or possibly ASL (if they're going that cheap). Make sure you verify the tubes can properly drive the Maggies before you make any commitment.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I'm looking at integrated amps at this point (primarily Rotel). I've been watching the classifieds (e.g. an RA-971), but a remote is definitely a plus so I may end up biting the bullet and going new. Plus, although I know there are good values to be had in the used market, I'm a little uncertain about my own ability to do so (e.g. what's a good deal, what to watch out for, etc.)

I am going to a dealer to check out the RA-02 today. I'm only worried about getting sucked into the RA-1062!

Re the tuner, it's not an issue. I listen to the radio, but not so much for good audio. I'm going to be going out of my computer into a DAC for 95% of my sound source, if that matters.

As I mentioned, links to good deals are much appreciated. Integrated amp w/remote is preferred.

thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Yes, I'm looking at integrated amps at this point (primarily Rotel). I've been watching the classifieds (e.g. an RA-971), but a remote is definitely a plus so I may end up biting the bullet and going new. Plus, although I know there are good values to be had in the used market, I'm a little uncertain about my own ability to do so (e.g. what's a good deal, what to watch out for, etc.)

I am going to a dealer to check out the RA-02 today. I'm only worried about getting sucked into the RA-1062!

Re the tuner, it's not an issue. I listen to the radio, but not so much for good audio. I'm going to be going out of my computer into a DAC for 95% of my sound source, if that matters.

As I mentioned, links to good deals are much appreciated. Integrated amp w/remote is preferred.

thanks,
    Mike
    This site has good deals from time to time. It's worth looking at their clearance link.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/ca...1&CategoryID=3
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Musical Fidelity A3.2

I have a chance to by a used MF A3.2 for $699. Sounds like a great deal. (I'm looking to power MMGs). I haven't had much time to research it though, and there's only two reviews on this site (both are quite good).

Opinions?

Thanks,
    Mike

I just got a chance to buy a usede Musical Fidelity A3.2 for $699. It's a little more than I was willing to spend, but it sounds like a great value - should I jump on it?

I just got a chance to buy a usede Musical Fidelity A3.2 for $699. It's a little more than I was willing to spend, but it sounds like a great value - should I jump on it?
    I have never heard one but it has some great reviews.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

MF, like anthing else, has as many advocates as detractors. Never, ever, believe the reviews, especially ones on sites such as this. The simple fact is that these are reviews being written by folks who have already made their purchase. I don't know about you, but I don't know many people that are willing own up to making a mistake for all the world to read about. There's going to be just a bit of bias involved, believe it or not.

As with anything, you're going to need to audition it for yourself and make come to your own conclusions. MF is a reputable company, but that doesn't mean their products will be music to your ears.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    MF is a reputable company, but that doesn't mean their products will be music to your ears.
    No pun intended?

Talking Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    No pun intended?
    no...

My recommendation goes for the Cambridge Audio C500 and P500 combo. That combo drove even my 1.6 and would be a very good match for the MMG. They are right in your price range too, or check out the Cambridge Azur 540R. Stay away from the NAD320, it is not strong enough. I had it on my .5's and it was a missmatch.

Enjoy and welcome in the planar world

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have to vote for Cambridge Audio. I own the Azur 640 A and am more impressed each time I listen to it considering the purchase price. I prefer it to my older Rotel integrated of the same power.
    Flo it's nice to see you out of the steel cage and giving advice.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I have to vote for Cambridge Audio. I own the Azur 640 A and am more impressed each time I listen to it considering the purchase price. I prefer it to my older Rotel integrated of the same power.
    Flo it's nice to see you out of the steel cage and giving advice.
    It seems like i am compatible to other humans afterall

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    It seems like i am compatible to other humans afterall
    You have your moments.

How dare you be human!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You have your moments.

How dare you be human!
    This new unit in my head is messing with my self serving character device. Darn Scientists always messing with my head and crossing the line humans were not ment to cross. Oh well, lets have another beer.

Oops, I spoke too soon. This explains a lot.

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    www.audioadvisor.com
    www.hififarm.com

Used:

www.audiogon.com

And always check eBay .

Happy shopping!
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

Well I took the plunge and scooped up the used MF A3.2 for $699. All the reviews I read were very positive, and seemed to be backed up when I listened to the piece (with my untrained ears, anyway). To me, it sounded wonderful, even with a somewhat mediocre CD player through somewhat mediocre speakers. (Unfortunately they didn't have any MMGs I could put it through.)

In any case, the price was very right, so if I decide it doesn't work with the MMGs I could probably turn it around and get my money back no problem.

Oh, and it has a remote, which is a big plus. It's in great condition and it's built like a TANK; I love that.

Well I took the plunge and scooped up the used MF A3.2 for $699. All the reviews I read were very positive, and seemed to be backed up when I listened to the piece (with my untrained ears, anyway). To me, it sounded wonderful, even with a somewhat mediocre CD player through somewhat mediocre speakers. (Unfortunately they didn't have any MMGs I could put it through.)

In any case, the price was very right, so if I decide it doesn't work with the MMGs I could probably turn it around and get my money back no problem.

Oh, and it has a remote, which is a big plus. It's in great condition and it's built like a TANK; I love that.
    I am soooooo jealous!
    Congratulations.

I just looked at the specs and it will drive the MMG's very nicely. Congrats!

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    Oh man

MMG's+ anything Musical Fidelity = godlike

Hats off to you .
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

Your on a great way buddy! Lets have a picture when you have it all setup, if you need planar speaker placment help gimme a shout i had many planar systems and Maggies

^^ Thanks all!

I couldn't wait for the Maggies to get here (next week), so I went ahead and hooked it up to my crappy old college-era speakers. It actually sounds not too bad, and MAN It is LOUD!

Funny thing is, I had it cranked way up and didn't even know it was so loud, because it just didn't *sound* that loud to my ears -- e.g. my ears weren't strained or hurting in the least (besides which the volume knob was only at 9 pm or so; I guess my crappy 8 ohm speakers really don't take much juice).

But then my wife walked in the room and I realized I couldn't hear a word she was shouting!

This is funny too: I was going through my old CD collection and putting on various discs just to see what they'd sound like. I wanted to hear some good old rock and roll, so I plopped in Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti in and cranked up disk 2.

My young gentleman of a neighbor was outside and heard it, so he comes over to my deck, and says: "Man, that sounds crazy! Who is that??"

Man, I've never felt so old...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    ^^ Thanks all!

I couldn't wait for the Maggies to get here (next week), so I went ahead and hooked it up to my crappy old college-era speakers. It actually sounds not too bad, and MAN It is LOUD!

Funny thing is, I had it cranked way up and didn't even know it was so loud, because it just didn't *sound* that loud to my ears -- e.g. my ears weren't strained or hurting in the least (besides which the volume knob was only at 9 pm or so; I guess my crappy 8 ohm speakers really don't take much juice).

But then my wife walked in the room and I realized I couldn't hear a word she was shouting!

This is funny too: I was going through my old CD collection and putting on various discs just to see what they'd sound like. I wanted to hear some good old rock and roll, so I plopped in Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti in and cranked up disk 2.

My young gentleman of a neighbor was outside and heard it, so he comes over to my deck, and says: "Man, that sounds crazy! Who is that??"

Man, I've never felt so old...
    Or at my age blasting Modest Mouse or System Of A Down in the car and several young people pull up beside me. I am not sure if it is a look of shock or disgust or just the thought of hey that's our music.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

fan of rotel

i strongly recomend the rotel product, event the rc02 amp.this is the amp that easy go with any type of speakers

Thread Information