AR Newbie Registered Member

Help - Problems with my Sherwood AX-4050R Amp

Hi everyone.

I need some advice regarding my Sherwood AX-4050R Amplifier.

To be fair, it is a few years old now, and has served me very well, but recently it has been unable to play at anything other than extremely quiet. Whenever I play a CD, unless the volume is very low, the amp simply cuts out, and returns itself to standby. You can hear it clicking off.

I run a Cambridge Audio D300 SE CD deck through it, and have had a TV running through the AUX channel via a 3.5mm - Phono cable from time to time. The speakers are Gale gold monitors.

I had noticed this problem occurring before, but only when the top of the amp had been covered, but at the moment it is on the top of the stack (and not covered by anything), and by a window that is open - so I cant see that overheating is a problem.

I have taken the cover off and blown all the dust out with some compressed air, and I have also changed the speaker cables (just in case!) but to no avail. The problem is the same whether I run the CD player through the CD channel or any other channel.

Oh, I also tried running the sound out through both the A and B speaker circuits, but with the same problem!

Is the amp dead, or is there something else that I am missing or can do to sort the problem out??

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that you can give me!!

Ed

The amp is dead, it's tripping the protection circuit, and or blowing the fuse. If the
    amp has value to you, my advise is fork over the $50 shop fee, and have it check
    by a repair shop, it's fixable.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hello,

First and only post I'm afraid. My Sherwood AX-4050R doesn't work on either of the A or B Left channels. Right is still fine. Tried all the different permutations. Is it worth fixing? Or just too old? Thanks for your time. Kara Mia

I agree that it is dead. I would only pay to fix it if it has some sort of sentimental value to you or you just don't want to try something else in your system. I would say that the money you would spend to fix it you could get you another amp that would be as good or better especially if you shopped used on sites like Audiogon

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information