dr bud

would a rotel rmb1090 make a big differance

i have the rmb 1095(200x5)it is fine for home theatre,but in 2 channel mode my fronts could definatly use more power.i have heard them with 500 watts pumped through each and was amazed.i see alot of people here use the rmb1090 for there fronts and am wondering if it would make a big differance compared to using the 1095 for the fronts.on paper the stats look like it should.in stereo listening when i want to crank up some korn or tool and just rock out for a while the 1095 will get to hot and shut down in about a half hour.and of course i would like it to play louder.any help would be great.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    A larger amp will give your more headroom. What's the make, model and sensitivity of your front speakers ? Room size ?

dr bud
    they are def tech bp2000tl.they are rated at 91 for sensitivity.even though the subs are powered by there own amp these speakers are not as efficient as people mite think.room 12 by 20.as i said i know these speakers are capable of more volume than i can do with the rmb1095.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    By all means get the 1090. It should have more than enough power for your needs.

rockin with infinity Registered Member
    By all means I would have to agree with Glen. I have a rotel rb1090 running my infinity ren 90's and all I can say is the power is to die for and the sound is silky smooth. I would not trade my amp for any thing else(anything that compares would cost 5 to 10 times as much). Korn, Pantera, Tool and any other CHUNKY music with great dynamics never causes any issues with heat. I have played it cranked for many hours and the amp never gets beyond warm to the touch! Try alice in chains unpluged if you are looking for a supreme recording-Its one of the BEST recordings I have found to date! Hope this helps you out.

Greg S

Oh I also run the amp @ 4ohm load and it loves it.

dr bud
    thanks guys.i find it very annoying when my amp shuts down from heat in a half hour of cranking it.there is no distortion or hint that its working to hard.that should not b.i will have to keep my eyes open for a good used rb1090.Oh by the way Alice and chains "rooster" the live version sounds great loud also!

Forum Regular
    For what its worth, I picked up a RB1090 to power my Paradigm Studio Ref 100's in a HT setup downstairs. It works very well when I switch to 2 channel. Their worth the money, if you can find one.(out of production). I have the 1095 powering Studio 60's. The 1095 did pretty well with the fronts too, but I seem to get better imaging with the 1090. Def Tech's may be a different animal, I've listen to them in shop, but never owned a pair. I usually skate by them to the B&W's. Maybe I should take a closer look.

dr bud
    B&W makes nice speakers no doubt.Pricey though for me.their overall sound might be a little better than the def techs esp the tweeter.For my listening tastes i like the def techs more for their ability to play loud and dynamic!Almost rivaling some klipsch in that department.but they need a lot more juice to do it and the sound is not as fatiging.i would definatly take a pair of 800d's if someone gave them to me

Thread Information