AR Newbie Registered Member

Need help with NAD 2200

Hello,

I just brought a used NAD 2200 amp, brought home and plug in and I accidently turn the pream volume all the way up when turn on the amp and triggled the "protection" LED light on the front panel and amp appear to be dead now. I remove the cover and try to see what is going on I see several fuses not sure if anyone of them is burned. I don't have owner's manual so I cannot really tell what is going on, can someone give some leads where to check or how to restore the amp? There are several 250v 10amp cermic fuses inside could it possiablely I blow one of them?

happy holidays

lkkla
    Last edited by lkkla; 12-10-2006 at 05:55 PM.

I'm not a tech, nor do I play one on TV, but here's what I would do.

First, unplug the unit.

Then, since you seem to have located the fuses, gently remove them and do a continunity test on 'em. Any cheapo VOM should allow you to do this. You check for zero ohms.

If they don't read zero ohms, replace them. If they blow again, there's a deeper problem than you can deal with. It's time to find a good tech.

P.S.. you're sure there are no shorts in the speaker wires, aren't you?

FWIW, I strongly doubt having your gain on the preamp maxed out caused this.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    First, unplug the unit.

Then, since you seem to have located the fuses, gently remove them and do a continunity test on 'em. Any cheapo VOM should allow you to do this. You check for zero ohms.

If they don't read zero ohms, replace them. If they blow again, there's a deeper problem than you can deal with. It's time to find a good tech.

P.S.. you're sure there are no shorts in the speaker wires, aren't you?

FWIW, I strongly doubt having your gain on the preamp maxed out caused this.
    Mark,

Thanks for replying. The red protection led is on even when there is no speakers wires connected to it. I am not sure how it happened. I connect my CD(with variable out) to D/A then my NAD amp, I didn't get any sound comming out speaker then I realized in order to use the variable out put I have bypass the D/A in between, then I switched the digital out to off position in the back of CD player(transport) without turning off the amp first , then i heard a loud noise come from my left channel speaker, immidately I turn off the amp, luckly the speakers(apogee Stage) are ok. But after that amp has the red protection light on, unplug and plug the power cord back would not solve the problem, amp is dead. I talk to the NAD Service Center Tech. and mention about the fuses but he told me the fuses are more for power supply, he really doubt it is where the source of the problem. I did however find a local audio shop that will do the estimate for free, I will drop by and have them take a look, then I go from there.....unforturne day for me.

spyddie

Thread Information