Arrow HELP! Amplifier oozing out brown fluid!

Just now I was watching TV, I noticed that there's a puddle of brown fluid under my amp that looks like Pepsi, and it smells really weird...can't explain it. The amplifier(Proton D1200) was still making sound when this happened, but the side where the ooze came out of was not hook up, just idling while the other side plays. I shut it off and took the bottom plate off and it looks like the ooze is coming from one of the big capacitors...what the crap is going on? I'm scared to turn it back on.

A week ago I posted a topic about when to know my amps need to be checked up, I guess now it is a good time........

No mystery there.

Sounds like a cap died. Not that uncommon. Either fix it yourself or have a qualified tech do it. Oh, you might not want to use it for the time being.

Should I replace them in pairs or just the one that died? There's an identical cap right next to it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Weister42
    Should I replace them in pairs or just the one that died? There's an identical cap right next to it.

If they are not expensive, why not both? Make one trip in to repair
    mtrycrafts

I could do that...but the amp is made back in 1987 so I don't know if it's going to be cheap. Also there are other caps in the amp too, four bigger ones as 2 in each power supply(dual mono) and two smaller ones. They are about as big as a mini soda can and they seem to be built better than the one that died, and the small ones are as big as my thumb. Do I have to replace all the caps in the amp?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Weister42
    I could do that...but the amp is made back in 1987 so I don't know if it's going to be cheap. Also there are other caps in the amp too, four bigger ones as 2 in each power supply(dual mono) and two smaller ones. They are about as big as a mini soda can and they seem to be built better than the one that died, and the small ones are as big as my thumb. Do I have to replace all the caps in the amp?

No, you don't need to do all that. If you have four altogether and one failed, then just replace the one. If any of the others fail, you will know what to do
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

Proton D-1200 Good amp!

But caps are evil - I read it in Stereophile...

Laz

Forum Regular
    yeah you definetly need to replace that cap, and while your in there you could also change the other power supply caps. they probbly wont be too cheap though... no matter what happens dont use it anymore till you get it fixed up

Thread Information