Thread: Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

I have been considering upgrading my receiver/amp and am wondering if it's worth it right now. I might need an extra amp for a workshop this fall and thought I could upgrade the home's and take my current one to the shop (which is overkill). I currently have a Panasonic SA-HE200 (I think that's it) 130w x 6 (1 year old). I use it in a 6.1 setup with with a Hsu Sub, CSW Newton M60's front and right, MC500 center and thier multipole surrounds for the sides and back. I can't really setup a 7.1 the way my back wall is. My current receiver had great ratings from Consumer Reports but I know it's a cheapie. The crossover only goes down to 100 which is a bit high for my speakers. I have a Denon 2200 Universal DVD Player and listen to a lot of SACD's and DVD-As as well as movies. I've looked at Yamaha and Denon and have heard good things about Harmon Kardon. The ones I looked at were in the $600.- $700.00 range. Is it worth it? Will I notice a difference in sound to make it worth it? I thought the 2 zone feature would be nice because I use it for outdoor speakers also but the salesman said that the Home Theater would have to be a dedicated 5.1 setup. Any suggestions? Oh, one more thing...Is Dolby Pro Logic 2X just a step up to a 7.1? I hope I don't sound too ignorant

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Hard Call

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmm
    I have been considering upgrading my receiver/amp and am wondering if it's worth it right now. I might need an extra amp for a workshop this fall and thought I could upgrade the home's and take my current one to the shop (which is overkill). I currently have a Panasonic SA-HE200 (I think that's it) 130w x 6 (1 year old). I use it in a 6.1 setup with with a Hsu Sub, CSW Newton M60's front and right, MC500 center and thier multipole surrounds for the sides and back. I can't really setup a 7.1 the way my back wall is. My current receiver had great ratings from Consumer Reports but I know it's a cheapie. The crossover only goes down to 100 which is a bit high for my speakers. I have a Denon 2200 Universal DVD Player and listen to a lot of SACD's and DVD-As as well as movies. I've looked at Yamaha and Denon and have heard good things about Harmon Kardon. The ones I looked at were in the $600.- $700.00 range. Is it worth it? Will I notice a difference in sound to make it worth it? I thought the 2 zone feature would be nice because I use it for outdoor speakers also but the salesman said that the Home Theater would have to be a dedicated 5.1 setup. Any suggestions? Oh, one more thing...Is Dolby Pro Logic 2X just a step up to a 7.1? I hope I don't sound too ignorant
    I don't know your receiver, but it's been my observation that the difference between mid priced receivers is not enough to justify a switch unless your upgrading to one with newer technology. Dolby EX, and DTS ES are a marked upgrade from the older technology, if your receiver doesn't have these then I would reccomend making the investment.

I run a very similar HT to your except for the mains, mine are the T500s. I would reccomend that you set your center speaker, the MC500 to LARGE, and no bother crossing it over. The M60's would sound better run full range too. You'll notice a larger, fuller soundstage with music, and the MC500 will really open up on movies being set to large. Both those speakers can easily take anything your receiver can dish out, so I wouldnt worry.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information