Forum Regular

heave ho the old rotel?

i need an amp or integrated to drive kef model 104/2 speakers---the rotel RB 2000 has one channel out and i wonder if i should have it repaired for the third time or go ahead and get something else, budget up to about $800....(also does anyone know of a reputable repair shop for the rotel?)

new or used is not an issue, also i live in a condo so i've got to keep the level reasonable....any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks beck

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Really?

Hey beck,
    I have an RMB-1066 that has been absolutely trouble free. OTH if I had not one but two breakdowns, I would probably be a bit leery about further investment in that particular unit.

You might want to look into the Cambridge Audio lines. They should be available within your price ranges. At $800.00US you may not be able to find a huge upgrade in quality but should certainly be able to find improved reliability.

I also wouldn't rule out a different Rotel unit, but I understand if yer feelin' snakebit. It sounds like you got a dud...

Cheers and good luck
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Yes, I'd agree, if your unit has been repaired that many times, it's time for a change. Either unit has a serious flaw or the shop didn't fix the real cause of the problem.

I'm sure in your budget you should be able to find several good options on Audiogon. I don't have any particular recs. I have seen that Music Hall has a Class A integrated that www.spearitsound.com is selling around your price.

If you want to triple your budget I have a Krell 500i I am going to sell.

Forum Regular
    thanks mr peabody, but that's beyond my reach---what do you think about used mcintosh?

Suspended
    If you can find a used Mac in your budget, go for it. I like Mac, it's just in their price range I tend to find gear I like better. The Mac would also be an upgrade from what you had.

Forum Regular
    what gear in particular do you like better at the used mac price range? thanks beck

Thread Information