heave ho the old rotel?

Printable View

• 09-03-2006, 06:35 AM
    beck
    heave ho the old rotel?
    i need an amp or integrated to drive kef model 104/2 speakers---the rotel RB 2000 has one channel out and i wonder if i should have it repaired for the third time or go ahead and get something else, budget up to about $800....(also does anyone know of a reputable repair shop for the rotel?)

new or used is not an issue, also i live in a condo so i've got to keep the level reasonable....any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks beck
  • 09-03-2006, 06:48 AM
    bobsticks
    Really?
    Hey beck,
    I have an RMB-1066 that has been absolutely trouble free. OTH if I had not one but two breakdowns, I would probably be a bit leery about further investment in that particular unit.

You might want to look into the Cambridge Audio lines. They should be available within your price ranges. At $800.00US you may not be able to find a huge upgrade in quality but should certainly be able to find improved reliability.

I also wouldn't rule out a different Rotel unit, but I understand if yer feelin' snakebit. It sounds like you got a dud...

Cheers and good luck
  • 09-03-2006, 09:12 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Yes, I'd agree, if your unit has been repaired that many times, it's time for a change. Either unit has a serious flaw or the shop didn't fix the real cause of the problem.

I'm sure in your budget you should be able to find several good options on Audiogon. I don't have any particular recs. I have seen that Music Hall has a Class A integrated that www.spearitsound.com is selling around your price.

If you want to triple your budget I have a Krell 500i I am going to sell.
  • 09-03-2006, 09:51 AM
    beck
    thanks mr peabody, but that's beyond my reach---what do you think about used mcintosh?
  • 09-03-2006, 10:20 AM
    Mr Peabody
    If you can find a used Mac in your budget, go for it. I like Mac, it's just in their price range I tend to find gear I like better. The Mac would also be an upgrade from what you had.
  • 09-03-2006, 11:41 AM
    beck
    what gear in particular do you like better at the used mac price range? thanks beck