AR Newbie Registered Member

Marantz 2270 Sound Issue.

Well, I searched, albeit not very long. Hopefully this isn't some super common problem and I'm just pissing everyone off.

Anyways, I'm a new member, and recently I've been having some trouble with my Marantz 2270. When it works, it sounds amazing, as all older Marantz's do. Seems to be almost the perfect fit with my Klipsch KG3.5 floor standings for movies. Bass is outstanding, everything is great.

However, one of the channels seems to crackle. I've tried using better RCA cables, tried switching speaker wires, and I always get the same result. It's not constant, only occasional, and it'll only happen for a few seconds at a time.

Any ideas on what this is? Is it fixable? And if so, how much money am I looking to spend to get it fixed? I absolutely love the sound of the 2270 and don't want to get rid of it. Help please!

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    That's pretty "vintage", innit? It's probably just finally beginning to die. Take it to a tech and have it tuned up -- the thing it probably needs the most is to be recapped (and not all techs will do this, as it's a lot of work), but I don't know what else.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    That's pretty "vintage", innit? It's probably just finally beginning to die. Take it to a tech and have it tuned up -- the thing it probably needs the most is to be recapped (and not all techs will do this, as it's a lot of work), but I don't know what else.
    sounds like a job for EchoWars at audiokarma I don't know him but everyone speaks highly of him,

Hey, why don't all you techs start a thread with expeirence on what stuff for the vintage folks!!

process of elimination is key!

I am just curious as to how certain you are that the issue is the Marantz...? I am guessing that you are quite certain, but I know that when I have certain technical issues with my gear or with other systems...sometimes the 'problem' is not what I initial thought or it's a compound problem with a variety of things. It always helps when you can narrow down and really get specific so that if you do need to take something to a technician they are able to get a precise diagnosis from you. Just a tip!

Thread Information