Harman Kardon PT2300

Printable View

• 04-25-2005, 03:11 PM
    vr6ofpain
    Harman Kardon PT2300
    Anyone have any experience with this preamp?

I got it pretty cheap off ebay. Keeping in mind this is for a 2 channel system, purely for music(no video monitors hooked up to it). I liked the features:

Stereo only (no surround junk).
    Dual preamp outputs, with a selection switch for A, B, A+B, off (headphones)
    L&R sub outputs....could be fun to mess around with 'stereo subs', with level control.
    Very functional remote
    Headphone jack

Since it is from the early 90's I believe, it seems to be built pretty well. Not like some of the newer cheap stuff HK offers(though they do still make some nice stuff I assume).
    Both the preamp and remote are Made in Japan. Surprising to see stuff like that today....
  • 04-25-2005, 11:06 PM
    vr6ofpain
    http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/d9/dc/b6_1_b.JPG
    *image from auction

So far so good, but I swear the highs are stronger with this thing compared to my CP-3 it is replacing. Not sure if I like it or not. I mean it sounds more full, but maybe almost bright for my tastes.

The reason I didn't like the CP-3 was mainly because I don't have a remote for it (so I cannot adjust the volume from my listening position, and I cannot adjust any of its parameters). Though I wondered about how 'clean' its sound could be considering it takes all the analog signals, brings them to the digital realm, makes its adjustments to them, the brings them back to analog for the outputs. Not very 'straight foward' or simple. Everyone talks about keeping the signal path as simple as possible. With the CP-3, you throw that notion out the door!