Best amp for 3.6R Ribbon Tweeter?

I'm thinking about tri-amping my 3.6Rs.

Any opinions on good amps for the ribbon tweeters? Should I go with something like a Class A tube amp? Will that give me enough power?

If so, what are the well-regarded amps in this category, assuming a budget of about $2-3k or so?

thanks
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Mike, Mike, Mike ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson

Any opinions on good amps for the ribbon tweeters? Should I go with something like a Class A tube amp? Will that give me enough power?

If so, what are the well-regarded amps in this category, assuming a budget of about $2-3k or so?

thanks
    After the great reviews you've given you Musical Fidelity, one would suppose this latest tangent is somewhat frivolous.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    After the great reviews you've given you Musical Fidelity, one would suppose this latest tangent is somewhat frivolous.
    Feanor,

I think the MF is an awesome amp, particularly when I paired it with my 1.6QR, but I'm seriously thinking about bi-amping and tri-amping for a couple reasons:

1) It seems evident to me that the pure ribbon tweeter of the 3.6R results in a very different type of sound than you get out of the QR panels. I'm not sure the high-powered SS amp is the best way to do power them (see my review of the 3.6R speakers in the speaker section).

2) I want to be able to have total control over the EQ, including crossover curves and the phase response for each driver.

As great as the kw500 is, you're forced to use the passive crossovers, which compromises your ability to handle the EQ phases, and presents a number of other disadvantages. That's not a deficiency in the amp, that's just a result of the design - that it's an integrated amp.

I'm going to try out a DEQX unit to do this (a much fancier version of my Behringer DEQ2496, which I love), but you really get the full power of that approach only by using active crossovers.

So I'm looking into using a pair of Class D amps to drive the bass and mids panels, and possibly tri-amping with a smoother, Class A tube amp on the highs.

Of course all this will cost a lot more money than the kw500, and takes a lot more work and tweaking... Frivolous? Maybe. But hey, I'm having fun here!
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; 01-20-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Deqx

Feanor,

I think the MF is an awesome amp, particularly when I paired it with my 1.6QR, but I'm seriously thinking about bi-amping and tri-amping for a couple reasons:

1) It seems evident to me that the pure ribbon tweeter of the 3.6R results in a very different type of sound than you get out of the QR panels. I'm not sure the high-powered SS amp is the best way to do power them (see my review of the 3.6R speakers in the speaker section).

2) I want to be able to have total control over the EQ, including crossover curves and the phase response for each driver.
    I'm going to try out a DEQX unit to do this (a much fancier version of my Behringer DEQ2496, which I love), but you really get the full power of that approach only by using active crossovers.
    Of course all this will cost a lot more money than the kw500, and takes a lot more work and tweaking... Frivolous? Maybe. But hey, I'm having fun here!
    Triamping will be a fun project no doubt. The DEQX is a great idea. Something I'd like to consider if I had a lot more cash.

Something I note in the DEQX literature is their emphasis on near-field measurement to minimize room effects in order to obtain the most accurate phase and inherent response corrections for each driver. Room response recommend onl after these basic corrections are mode.

Personally, rather than tubes, I 'd look first to Class A solid state; maybe the likes of a Pass Aleph.

If you consider selling your Behringer DEQ2496, please send me a PM.

Triamping will be a fun project no doubt.
    As for the actual task itself, I sort of dread the idea of pulling the socks off my maggies and doing surgery on them. Also, it would likely entail putting the ribbons at greater risk (so whether there's a turn-on thump from the amp is a big consideration for me).

Something I note in the DEQX literature is their emphasis on near-field measurement to minimize room effects in order to obtain the most accurate phase and inherent response corrections for each driver. Room response recommend onl after these basic corrections are mode.
    Right, you do "speaker correction" first, then the "room correction". I'm really interested to hear what it sounds like to have totally coherent phase response -- everybody who uses this unit says it makes a fantastic difference in terms of realism and soundstage.

Personally, rather than tubes, I 'd look first to Class A solid state; maybe the likes of a Pass Aleph.
    I looked at some used ones on Audiogon. Is there anything about this amp that is particularly well suited to highs/ribbons?

If you consider selling your Behringer DEQ2496, please send me a PM.
    It's a cheap enough unit that I think I'm just going to hold onto it - if for nothing else, I like the RTA readout (which is something the DEQX doesn't have).

Pass Aleph

I looked at some used ones on Audiogon. Is there anything about this amp that is particularly well suited to highs/ribbons?
    I'm no expert on the Pass Alephs, however they enjoyed a wonderful reputation of tube-like sound without tube foibles -- although they have some of their own. They were pure Class A, MOSFET amps and run very hot. An interesting discussion about the technology plus operational info can be found in the owner's manual, still available at the Pass Labs site.

Perhaps of most interest for your application would be the Aleph 3 which puts 60 wt/ch into 2-4 ohms. I see they're going for $900 on Audiogon. I don't know about shut down thump. Check out the the owner's manual ...

Are you following this discussion?

thanks

Or is it you ...

^^^ Yep, that's me.

Thread Information