H/K or Onkyo?

Printable View

• 08-24-2007, 03:57 PM
    KaneIsRaw13
    H/K or Onkyo?
    Should i get the H/K AVR247 or the Onkyo TX-SR605? The onkyo has everything i need and more, But the Harman kardon is only 50watts per channel, which seems pretty weak.
  • 08-24-2007, 06:00 PM
    musicman1999
    Onkyo and H/K measure their watts in a different manner,don't be concerned by 50 watts per side.It is likely stronger than the Onkyo's 90 per.I would say that if stereo is your first love go with the H/K.

bill
  • 08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
    dogorman
    ...And I would respectfully disagree. I've owned both an Onkyo integrated amp and a Harmon Kardon integrated amp, and I thought the Onkyo was more controlled, had better detail, and sounded more musical. Are these receivers? If so, why are we buying a receiver instead of an integrated amp? Is it for the tuner, or the surround processing?
  • 08-24-2007, 09:10 PM
    royphil345
    If you're going to go with HK or Onkyo... and there's nothing wrong with either of them, just go somewhere to actually listen to them and pick what sounds best to you... You might as well get a receiver or a HT receiver for convenience. There's not going to be much difference between a receiver and an integrated amp at that level... If surround sound isn't important to you... You could look at stereo integrated amps from some higher-end brand names for little more than a full-featured surround receiver costs...

In my experience, HKs power ratings are very conservative. The HK tends to sound a little more lively and the Onkyo a little more laid back... all a matter of taste. I'm sure there are models from both brands that don't follow this generalization.
  • 08-24-2007, 09:17 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KaneIsRaw13
    Should i get the H/K AVR247 or the Onkyo TX-SR605? The onkyo has everything i need and more, But the Harman kardon is only 50watts per channel, which seems pretty weak.

Is there any particular reason that you have settled on these two? Just curious.
  • 08-25-2007, 06:06 AM
    thekid
    Kanels-For what it is worth I picked up a copy of the July/August issue of S&V to read on the flight home yesterday and they had a quick-favorable blurb on the Onkyo.

Good luck
  • 08-26-2007, 06:16 AM
    KaneIsRaw13
    The H/K sounds really good, and it has everything i need, Component, HDMI and 7.1, But i havent heard the onkyo, But i read alot of good stuff about the onkyo
  • 08-26-2007, 07:58 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KaneIsRaw13
    The H/K sounds really good, and it has everything i need, Component, HDMI and 7.1, But i havent heard the onkyo, But i read alot of good stuff about the onkyo

Both units should be easily available. I would spend a couple of weeks with each unit before making a decision.
  • 08-26-2007, 03:30 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    I am sure that both units will accommodate all of your needs just fine, although I wouldn't limit myself between just those two units, shop around a bit and see what else is out there.