AR Newbie Registered Member

Denon AVR 887/ EQ

I'm re-setting up with a new amp. I have many questions but I'll do one thing at a time to keep it easy on myself. I recently purchased a Denon AVR 887, I have it hooked up with only two main speakers (I hope thats ok). All inputs work as they should (haven't tried a cassette, so far I have no video equip. hooked up). The sound is good and strong yet I would like to refine it further. I've tried hooking up my EQ (Yamaha EQ-70) to no avail. I can't seem to get any equalized sound at all. I have it hooked up in what I believe is called the "tape loop" by all you experts, and the tape player hooked into the EQ. Heres a link to the amp info http://usa.denon.com/AVR-887Lit.pdf ,I Can't supply supply more info on the EQ other than the model #. It basically has an in, out , and the tape player hook ups. Any help would be great. I have already e-maile Denon, but have yet to gat a response. Thanks in advance. Billy

I just answered a similar question here.

Equalizers

If you want to see if a receiver really has a tape monitor loop, first, locate the "tape monitor" switch on the front panel. The lack of this pretty much assures you do not have the necessary tape monitor loop.

With nothing connected to he outputs and inputs, press the "tape monitor" switch. The sound should disappear and reappear when you press it again.

Now, simply jumper the tape outputs and inputs with a plain old audio interconnect. Then, when you press the "tape monitor" button on the front panel the signal should still be there. Now, simply insert the equalizer and you'll be in business.,
    Last edited by markw; 12-22-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Ok, I'm fallowing what your telling me. Now, I dont have an actual "tape monitor" button on the amp. I have to switch between zone 2 & record. That I believe should turn on the loop. Correct? On the EQ I have a monitor button. Shouldn't that allow me to hear the eqalized sound? All this was so much easier with my old Pioneer. Any how am I on the right track or totally wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Hstar
    Ok, I'm fallowing what your telling me.
    Not quite.
    Now, I dont have an actual "tape monitor" button on the amp.
    Then you're boned. Game over. I thought I made this pretty clear within the first two lines of my last post.

I have to switch between zone 2 & record. That I believe should turn on the loop. Correct?
    No. The only way to activate a tape monitor loop in the receiver (which the receiver lacks) is with the "tape monitor" switch on the receiver, which you don't have.

On the EQ I have a monitor button. Shouldn't that allow me to hear the eqalized sound?
    You need that button on the receiver, not the equalizer. All the one on the equalizer does is to replace the inputs and outputs on the receiver that the eq took up.

All this was so much easier with my old Pioneer
    Yep. they don't incorporate this feature in the new fangle ones. The Poineer has a tape monitor switch I'll bet.

Any how am I on the right track or totally wrong?
    I think you're getting there. Reread my posts again. But, essentially. this is one of those "You can't get there from here" situations.
    Last edited by markw; 12-22-2006 at 09:05 AM.

From what you and the other guy on the other site said I need another amp to make this thing sound decent. Any suggestions? Pretty slick monitoring both sites Nothing personal. Just more opinions neve hurt.
    Billy

if my amp has a 6ch input on it can i hook up a eqalizer if so how

Quote Originally Posted by goodman
    if my amp has a 6ch input on it can i hook up a eqalizer if so how
    You would connect the analog output of the source to the eq's input, and the eq's output to the amp's inputs.

For all six channels you would need six channels of eq, or three stereo eq's, and they would only work for that one source.

Sound Fanatic
    Do you have something against the built-in equalizer?

Thread Information