Forum Regular

New to Separates... need advice

I'm new to the world of separates, but considering I want to eventually upgrade to an entry level hi-fi system, that's the way to go, especially since I can keep the same amps every time a receiver breaks or I want to upgrade to new technology.
    I won't be buying this all at once, but I need to upgrade into it slowly. I made an earlier post about my Yamaha RX-V2095 being broken, and the pre-amp section works fine, but the power amp (for the main left channel) is not functioning properly. So I'll definitely need to replace that ASAP with a 2 channel amp of 100wpc or more.
    Right now I have Polk RTi series bookshelf main speakers, but I'll replace them with Definitive Tech Power Monitor 500's. I'll most likely buy a Denon DVD-2200 that has 24-bit Burr Brown DAC's and connect it directly to the receiver's 5.1 input.

So my question is what amp to buy? Someone suggested NAD, but I'm not familiar with them (or anyone else). I'm just familiar with Yamaha receivers, and know that it sounds better than Sony receivers, and is in the same league as Denon. I'd like to go a step or more up from that. I'd like to eventually be able to get 7 channels of the same type of amp, so I could have consistent sound. I'm looking for a sound that'll definitely not be rolloed off, but also not harsh or too bright. I'm looking for a very natural sound that'll be clear on classical/acoustic and be very much on time and dynamic with electronic music, and be excellent for home theater. I'll eventually be looking in the total $3000-$5000 range for the entire pre-amp/processor/ 7 channels amp range, and would like to find a good 2 channel amp (guess $1000 or less would be proportionate to that price range) to go with the Def Tech's. I'm also not sure what pre-amp's are good.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Quick!

Quote Originally Posted by stevos2005
    I'm new to the world of separates, but considering I want to eventually upgrade to an entry level hi-fi system, that's the way to go, especially since I can keep the same amps every time a receiver breaks or I want to upgrade to new technology.
    I won't be buying this all at once, but I need to upgrade into it slowly. I made an earlier post about my Yamaha RX-V2095 being broken, and the pre-amp section works fine, but the power amp (for the main left channel) is not functioning properly. So I'll definitely need to replace that ASAP with a 2 channel amp of 100wpc or more.
    Right now I have Polk RTi series bookshelf main speakers, but I'll replace them with Definitive Tech Power Monitor 500's. I'll most likely buy a Denon DVD-2200 that has 24-bit Burr Brown DAC's and connect it directly to the receiver's 5.1 input.

So my question is what amp to buy? Someone suggested NAD, but I'm not familiar with them (or anyone else). I'm just familiar with Yamaha receivers, and know that it sounds better than Sony receivers, and is in the same league as Denon. I'd like to go a step or more up from that. I'd like to eventually be able to get 7 channels of the same type of amp, so I could have consistent sound. I'm looking for a sound that'll definitely not be rolloed off, but also not harsh or too bright. I'm looking for a very natural sound that'll be clear on classical/acoustic and be very much on time and dynamic with electronic music, and be excellent for home theater. I'll eventually be looking in the total $3000-$5000 range for the entire pre-amp/processor/ 7 channels amp range, and would like to find a good 2 channel amp (guess $1000 or less would be proportionate to that price range) to go with the Def Tech's. I'm also not sure what pre-amp's are good.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Get yourself a used power amp from AudiogoN.com. This way you have music now.
    I coudn't imagine being without music for an extended period of time. Adcom makes some good ones you can pick up cheap. The GFA-555 is 200wpc and can usually be had for less than $400.

You have a long road ahead of you, and some serious audio decisions to make. At least you'll have some music while your making them.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

For a 100 w/ch amp, you cannot really go wrong with the following names: Bryston, ATI, Arcam, Creek, B&K, Rotel, NAD, Adcom (545II or 555II), Cambridge audio. I would rate them in that order, generally, and would expect to pay $200-500 used for a good condition model. Your sound will improve in a big way, they are all very good amplifiers for the money. Read reviews regarding specific models, they do vary a bit.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Get yourself a used power amp from AudiogoN.com. This way you have music now.
    I coudn't imagine being without music for an extended period of time. Adcom makes some good ones you can pick up cheap. The GFA-555 is 200wpc and can usually be had for less than $400.

You have a long road ahead of you, and some serious audio decisions to make. At least you'll have some music while your making them.

The adcom gfa 555 is a great amp and have seen them for less than $400. The gfa 5500 runs for $1200 thats the 555 replacement. You can pick up a new adcom gfa5400 wich is 125wpc and lists for $600. Also if you can find a GFA555II its less harsh, and a little better amp than orginal. Go to stereophile.com look up archive reviews of 555 and 555II . Plus there is a comparison of these amps with the NAD amps and some listed in other replies. The adcoms are better then comparable models, Thats their view though, not yours.
    note:
    The adcom 555's can be bridged and used as mono blocks ( 600 wpc 8 ohms) Go crazy buy two.

AR Newbie Registered Member

I agree with everything that's been said thus far. I especially like the www.audiogon.com suggestion for a cheaper solution.

But, I like to add that if you have any decent audio shops/dealers *note* (Other than Best Buy\CC) in your area to go pay them a visit first. Pack a small case of CD's And Dvd's. Ask to listen to a few set-ups with-in and a couple notches above your set budget. Spend at least a couple hours at a few different stores if possible. Once you find that "Magical Sound" (That perfect sound to your ears), then break out the pen a notepad. Write down everything you see that is producing the Music and Theater efx. From the "Room" (Size of, any room treatments?) to the "Source" (CD\DVD Model#) to the "Volume Controler" (Preamp\AV Pre\Pro) to the "Amps" (Brand Model #) (Too Pricey??? Ask to hear a smaller version of the amp in the same set-up if possible) to the "Speakers" (Brand Model # \Distance apart\Toe in\Distance from the wall\) and finally make note of the power conditioners, IC's and speaker wire being used. If you can afford a piece or two (amp) from the above set-up than by all means buy it right then and there. At least buying from a good dealer should net you a return policy or warranty in case you get a lemon. If not, then to www.audiogon.com we will go. But, always remember the other peices of the puzzle and buy those later on.

Swew got a bit winded there.....But, the point I guess trying to make is get out and get familiar with a type of sound your looking for and what it's gonna take to get you there.Can We Say System Matching, Boys And Girls???After hearing My "Magical Sound" a few years back. I've wasted several thousand dollars and have amps, speakers, cd players and preamps everywhere. Looks like a darn Electronics Show around here. None of this stuff sounds like I want it to. The Problem Is I only bought a couple of pieces from my dream set-up and then drifted off on the the "Best Bang" this or "Giant Killer" That.

I'm now saving my pennies and will by the "Whole Damn System" next trip to the dealers.
    At Least it will net me 92.5 percent of the sound i'm looking for.

Anyone need some electronics?

Hope this helps....and good luck,
    J

Suspended
    Do you have $3k to $5k or is that what you will be building up to? Certainly making use of the old Yamaha makes sense and just adding a 2 channel amp will be the most cost effective but you will still be limited by the quality of the receivers preamp section. A couple of non-separate suggestions first. The Arcam AVR 300 will do everything you are looking for at about $2k. Very high quality music reproduction, all the latest surround decoding and 7 channels of high quality amplification. There is also a very good integrated surround amp from Primare that costs about $4k. This Primare piece will easily compete with any separates in it's price, actually for $4k I don't think you will find anything to beat it. If you have to do this in steps you have already been given some good brands to look at. I would suggest listening before you buy though. Some of the mentioned brands, although recognized as good quality, still have a different sound than others. For instance, I find Arcam & Creek fast and dynamic, where Rotel seems to be very layed back in comparison. I do not like NAD, I find their sound watered down or thin. Then you have amps like Bryston or Krell that I call "beauty in the beast" because they have excellent sound while being able to deliver it with brute force. Amps like this would probably be over kill for Def Tech but I wouldn't shy away from a good deal on one. For $3k to $5k for a total preamp/pro/pwr package you will have to stick with Rotel, Adcom or maybe B&K. The other brands will get out of your price range when going with separates. Anthem may be another option. Their preamp is about $3k but their amps are pretty reasonable. They also have 2 levels of amps, one being better than the other.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Just another alternative for you - I've been really impressed with the few Outlaw Audio systems I've listened too as well...prices are pretty good. Those M-Blocks they sell are great for building in stages.
    But yeah, audiogon.com or even ebay is probably the most cost-effective way to start out. Generally people take good care of their equipment.
    NAD, Rotel, and Adcom are very good (but very different) and can always be found for sale 2nd hand at a decent price.
    The best part about building in stages with 2nd hand equipment, is you can usually re-sell the stuff for about what you paid for it as you continue to upgrade.
    Cheers!

You have posted 3 or so threads on this board...

You need to get and audition, in this price range there is no clear winner... all have strengths and maybe a few weaknesses, none of us have had all amps in this range side by side, all we can do is make suggestions based on our partial opinions...everyone is going to have their favorite, but it really boils down to what you like.

Forum Regular
    You guys are absolutely right about going out and auditioning. Def Tech's sound great for home theater, but I found them a little lacking in music, compared to B&W. I really like the B&W sound, and found it very detailed. My listening/HT room is relatively small (14' x 14') so the Def Tech's powered subs would be overkill.

I also got a Denon DVD-2900 for the price of a DVD-2200, with 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC's (with on board Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-A, SACD) that I'm planning to hook up to the Yamaha's directe 6 channel discrete input, so basically the Yamaha won't degrade the sound that much.

I'll probably try to find a used pair of B&W CDM series speakers for now, and then upgrade to the B&W 700 series as I'm able to.

The $3 - $5k is what I'm eventually planning to spend for 7 channels of amplification and a pre-amp/processor (with all the Digital 7.1 formats and preferably DCDi and component video upconversion). I would be willing to go a little higher if it were worth it.

So I'm looking for an amp that will work wonderfully (by that I mean a precise, clear, true to life, but not harsh or tinny sound) with B&W CDM's and B&W 700s. People have suggested Rotel gear for B&W. I haven't heard any Rotel amps though. I wouldn't mind a warm sound, just as long as it's not rolled off. How are NAD's, ATI's, Rotels, or anything you care to comment on with B&W speakers? I appreciate your help. Listening for myself made a big difference.

Thanks!

Forum Regular
    NAD is good....!!!

Thread Information