Deathcore for life Freewillisdead112's Avatar

Dynaco tube preamp and amps!

being offered a set of 2 monoblock tube amps and a tube pre from dynaco.

everything works. just wondering if its worth picking it up, there in okay shape and seem sweet

price is good i think

mark 3 amps, pas 3 pre amp

do any of you have access to any blue books to tell me what they are worth?

any input would be sweet

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Freewillisdead112
    being offered a set of 2 monoblock tube amps and a tube pre from dynaco.

everything works. just wondering if its worth picking it up, there in okay shape and seem sweet

price is good i think

mark 3 amps, pas 3 pre amp

do any of you have access to any blue books to tell me what they are worth?

any input would be sweet

thanks!
    I'd love to pick up a PAS 3 and pair of Mk III's. They are a highly respected design and there's a pretty fair industry built up around repairing and upgrading them -- they do benefit from being upgraded with the higher quality components available today.

Check out Dynaco Doctor for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'd love to pick up a PAS 3 and pair of Mk III's. They are a highly respected design and there's a pretty fair industry built up around repairing and upgrading them -- they do benefit from being upgraded with the higher quality components available today.

Check out Dynaco Doctor for example.
    how much would you pay for the set?

Forum Regular
    I'm very familiar with Dynaco equipment. I've rebuilt quite a bit of it including these models. (I used a set of Mk III monoblocks as my main amps for a couple of years.)

The Mk IIIs are the real gems in this deal. If they are completely original (but functional) the pair of amps might be worth $500 to $700. Overall condition and tube quality can vary quite a bit.

The catch is the original can cap almost certainly needs replacing if it hasn't already been, and there are some much better power supply capacitor board upgrades that I'd highly recommend. If you put them in yourself you'd be adding $150 to the cost.

I sold a completely gut refurbed pair of Mk IIIs for about $900 about two or three years ago. This included relatively new tubes, upgraded power supply cap boards and brand new driver boards.

The Dynaco preamps have never been their best product in my opinion. I think they are just so-so and wouldn't be interested myself in spending more that $150 or so. It is unlikely I'd keep the unit.

well he says everything is working still and ima ask him the lowest he will take and try and make it a day!

it could be fun to tinker around with.

how bad are they if there all original and still work, or is it impossible for them to be original?

Here's a link to Van Alstine Audio which offers upgrades to Dynaco amps and preamps

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipmen...mp_rebuild.htm

Very reputable company.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    It is certainly not "impossible" for them to be original. However as noted, the electrolytic capacitor in the power supply (the silver can standing up on the amp) and two other capacitors inside the amp are very unlikely to be in satisfactory condition if they are truly original parts. They have been replaced on a lot of the units since the original production date of these amps is roughly 45 to 50 years ago.

You'll need a soldering iron and appropriate skills to replace them yourself. It also helps to have some electronic knowledge and some test equipment. These amps have 500 volts at various points in the circuit so there is a serious shock hazard and fire potential if you don't know what you're doing.

If you send these to someone else for repair or upgrade the labor costs can turn a very good deal into a poor financial one quite quickly.

Thread Information