feedback on 2 amps?

Printable View

• 06-05-2007, 02:59 PM
    enrique
    feedback on 2 amps?
    Looking for some feedback on either the PS Audio Trio A100 or Rotel RB1072.Both these amps are low profile and cool running which is what i want.Unfortunately not many reviews atleast with the rotel.The amp would be used w/rotel rsx1056 and 4-8ohm 90db speakers.thanks
  • 06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
    likeitloud
    I used an RB990 loaned from a friend, and was very impressed, great build quality, ran
    cool, very detailed. Rotel seems to be the entry brand to "High" end amps, but at hundreds
    of dollar's less. The RB1071 is half the output, but should be excellent. Used with that
    preamp, and pretty efficient speakers, it should be a great combo. Good luck.
  • 06-06-2007, 04:54 AM
    Feanor
    How do they compare?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enrique
    Looking for some feedback on either the PS Audio Trio A100 or Rotel RB1072.Both these amps are low profile and cool running which is what i want.Unfortunately not many reviews atleast with the rotel.The amp would be used w/rotel rsx1056 and 4-8ohm 90db speakers.thanks

Both of these are new, "digital" amplifiers. The PS Audio is a bit more powerful at 150 vs. 100 watts into 8 ohms; the PS doubles output into 4 ohms, but Rotel gives no spec for that impedance. The PS has balanced inputs which the Rotel does not: this will be a potential advantage if you ever get a preamp with balanced outputs.

How do they compare in price? For equal bucks I'd be inclined to to with the PS Audio. That is, unless I got to listen to both in my system at home and could make a definitive judgement based on the sounds.
  • 06-06-2007, 01:08 PM
    enrique
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    Both of these are new, "digital" amplifiers. The PS Audio is a bit more powerful at 150 vs. 100 watts into 8 ohms; the PS doubles output into 4 ohms, but Rotel gives no spec for that impedance. The PS has balanced inputs which the Rotel does not: this will be a potential advantage if you ever get a preamp with balanced outputs.

How do they compare in price? For equal bucks I'd be inclined to to with the PS Audio. That is, unless I got to listen to both in my system at home and could make a definitive judgement based on the sounds.

The specs in the rb1072 manual states 100 into 8ohm and 190 into 4ohms.
  • 06-06-2007, 03:57 PM
    I've had my eye on the PS Audio amp for some time. It's also half the width of standard components so theoretically you could put a pair of these into a 1U rack space, for a pretty killer bi-amp configuration. All this in a cool-running component that won't mind too much being cramped into a tight rack. And because the amp can work in both stereo and bi-amp configuration, I could buy one and build up to to the second one as finances allow. I also like the XLR inputs and the fact that PS Audio has a whole set of components with the same form factor. Of course, the Rotel already has four speaker posts, but that is out of a single 190W enclosure.

The one thing I can't find is if the PS Audio has a 12v trigger which for me would be a bit of a drawback compared to the Rotel. This would not have been difficult or expensive for PS Audio to include, in my opinion. Can anyone confirm this?
  • 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM
    enrique
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    I've had my eye on the PS Audio amp for some time. It's also half the width of standard components so theoretically you could put a pair of these into a 1U rack space, for a pretty killer bi-amp configuration. All this in a cool-running component that won't mind too much being cramped into a tight rack. And because the amp can work in both stereo and bi-amp configuration, I could buy one and build up to to the second one as finances allow. I also like the XLR inputs and the fact that PS Audio has a whole set of components with the same form factor. Of course, the Rotel already has four speaker posts, but that is out of a single 190W enclosure.

The one thing I can't find is if the PS Audio has a 12v trigger which for me would be a bit of a drawback compared to the Rotel. This would not have been difficult or expensive for PS Audio to include, in my opinion. Can anyone confirm this?

I have the manual,the ps audio does not have the 12v trigger.Supposedly it's made to stay on all the time.I dont know if it matters but i think i may opt for the rotel.Same mfg. appeals to me since i have the rotel reciever.