Forum Regular

Every tube amp owner needs one of these

Excessive heat build up is probably the most common cause of electronic failures. I have one of these tiny 4 inch Massey HV fans quietly cooling the hot tubes of my amp. Its on the same circuit as the amp but introduces no interference. Most tube amps aren't well ventilated and often times the case itself serves as the heat sink. My amp and tube life no doubt have been extended by this fan these last few years. Walmart sells these puppies for under $10. IMO the silver fan looks the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Massey-High-Ve.../dp/B0019QU4XM

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Thanks Poultry. I have had to relocate my amp on my rack, it now has a shelf over it. While I am not concerned about failure, it does indeed heat up the frame of my rack. I will take a visit to WalMart much to my wife's delight.

Chicago IL
    Good idea

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Yes, good ventilation is key to ANY component life span. None of my amps are in enclosed spaces, and the big tube amp stands alone with no components above or below it.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Geoffcin,

My SE amp stands alone as well but those hot tubes sure love a breeze. I have another Massey sitting on top of my Bada DC-222 tube hybrid angled to blow directly into the case vents where four 12AU7's reside.

Great idea indeed.

I've actually purchased the same fan to cool down my previous integrated amp, but I thought it was too noisy. I think Parasound used to sell a thin "Audiophile" approved fans, but I'm sure it was just a rip off.

Forum Regular
    My PC makes more noise than the Massey. Maybe you got one that was built on a Monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    My PC makes more noise than the Massey. Maybe you got one that was built on a Monday morning.
    Perhaps so.
    Does it stay in one place? My unit kept moving around and gave off much vibration to the rack. I didn't notice any additional noise from the tube amp due to the fan noise. Sounds like you got a solid fan, so your tubes/amp must be in heaven.

Have Fun,
    JRA

Forum Regular
    No vibration here and the rubber feet keeps it in place. At one point I had one fan suspended by wire hanging behind my rack and blowing directly on the amp vents but that was back when I was driving those insane 83 db Aerials.

Solid fan alright but I kinda miss frying eggs on the case, even though they were always too runny.

Thread Information