Suspended

Ever compare the Emotiva stereo preamp to anything else?

I was browsing the Emotiva website just checking out their gear, I noticed the stereo preamp had a sub out with built in crossover and thought that was a dandy feature and would work nice in my second system being now that I am using Y adaptors from the pre to run an old sub. I'm now using an Adcom gtp-450 and wondered if the Emo would provide any gain in sound quality. The pre is only $399.00 and they offer their return policy but if any one has heard one the feedback would be appreciated. I also really want to get my hands on a piece of their gear.

They are a online direct dealer so they probably have a try out period and at this price heck I would try it just to see for yourself. If you don't like it send it back. All the talk I have heard about this brand have been good but the talk is mostly about their amps not their preamps.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

It sure looks like a lot for $399. I've heard only good things about their power amps. I've heard next to nothing about their preamp.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I was browsing the Emotiva website just checking out their gear, I noticed the stereo preamp had a sub out with built in crossover and thought that was a dandy feature and would work nice in my second system being now that I am using Y adaptors from the pre to run an old sub. I'm now using an Adcom gtp-450 and wondered if the Emo would provide any gain in sound quality. The pre is only $399.00 and they offer their return policy but if any one has heard one the feedback would be appreciated. I also really want to get my hands on a piece of their gear.
    Oh my God, I soitanly hope Mr. Peabody doesn't turn into an Emotiva fan boy!

You might be interested in this review on the Emotiva USP-1.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/pream...amplifier.html

RR6

Suspended
    I'm pretty much convinced to try the USP, the sub out feature is very cool and it should sound at least as good as the Adcom I'm using now in that system. If not, it will go back despite the cool sub out feature.

Thanks for the review. Whether I become a fan boy is yet to be seen but I want to see and try a piece to see if it lives up to it's hype and the stereo preamp with the sub out is something I can put to good use.

I'm also looking at the ERC but the NAD pieces, even for more money, are very tempting, c545/565..

I read the review on the Emo preamp and it seems to be one heck of a unit for the money. In fact the only thing that they seen that would separate this unit from a much higher priced "high end" piece was a slight raise in frequency response in the upper treble range and that the built in phono preamp did not have the adjust ability of the outboard unit. But these are small factors for the price of the unit. In fact seeing the equipment he was using to test it, and the reviewer being that impressed with the Emo I would say its a winner in my book. And to boot I loved the HT bypass so you can use your home theater receiver or processor with it and it will not get in the way of the signal but when you want the pure sound of a stand alone preamp you have it there as well. Very cool option and one I think was well thought out. Mr. Peabody I would give it a shot from what I can tell you might be surprised at what your 400 bucks bought you. enjoy

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

if you decide to try this unit please give use your thoughts on it. from what i am hearing from the reviews and people who are using this brand of equipment it sounds like Emo is like Adcom was in the late 80's and through the 90's. Very good quality equipment at sane prices. let us know because this preamp interests me as well.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Thread Information