AR Newbie Registered Member

Enthusiastic beginer needs help for choosing Amp.

Would anyone of you have any idea what Integrated Amp. should I get for the price of around $1500? My speakers are Monitor Audio Radius 270 (8 ohms, power handling single 120W, recommended Amp Requirements 40-140W) + Radius 360 sub.

(I was looking at Musical Fidelity A3.2 but it does not have a headphone output which I badly need

How about Rotel RA1070 or Arcam DiVA A80 or NAD C372???

P.S. I live in a loft, so my room for listening is a huge one!

Many thanks

Forum Regular

That''s what I did

I own a Musical Fidelity A3.2. Its a very good integrated amp. It runs Monitor Audio S6 speakers. I would highly recommend this integrated. It has plenty of power, runs cool, is a dual-mono design, has a home theater input (to use its amplifier section via another processor's pre output), excellent build quality, and has a remote control. The sound is very detailed. I'm in love with this thing. I think that for the price you can't go wrong. I was looking at Krell Kav-400xi and the Primare A30.1. Both $1,000 more. The Krell has more power than all of them. I just can't justify $1,000 for 85 watts more. I personally liked the sound of the Musical Fidelity better than the others. You won't go wrong with this amp!!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Andy13, thanks for your reply!

I could imagine how much you enjoy your Musical Fidelity Amp. with these Monitor Audio speakers (all reviews are with you too), but I can't be without a headphone output. I live in a loft and since it is an open space I need something to make me quiet when others are sleeping.

Unfortunately, Krell is a bit over my budget.

Would you mind telling me what would be your second choice?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Several companies make outboard headphone amps for $250 - $400. Musical Fidelity, Creek and Antique Sound Lab come to mind. The MF and ASL models are tubed. They might be worth a listen and you can probably find an integrated and a headphone amp within your budget. I'm with you, I need a headphone amp too. I sacrificed performance, however, to get a preamp with headphone amp (and phono) all in one box. With your budget, you should be able to find an excellent integrated and a good headphone amp.

Tuna Lover
    For $1000 give the Musical Fidelity X-150 a listen...very compact size and great sound...and if you add their Tube buffer (for about $350), it will make the Monitor Audio's even more listenable...it adds a touch of warmth.

Thread Information