Emotiva UPA-2 vs XPA-2

Printable View

• 01-01-2010, 07:10 PM
    manlystanley
    Emotiva UPA-2 vs XPA-2
    I got my XPA-2 in yesterday. As soon as I hooked it up to my B&W 684's and heard 5 seconds of it, I knew it was a huge improvement. The music sounded full, rich and bass was deep. It is still not as warm as my old H/K 655, but it sounds good. I'm very pleased that I upgraded.

I read on the Emotiva site how people were saying that the XPA-2 is just a UPA-2 with more power and people like me are "imagining any difference between the two amps"...... We'll I'm happily living in fantasy land......

Best Regards,
    Stan
  • 01-01-2010, 07:53 PM
    blackraven
    Glad to hear you like it Stan. Will you be using it with the 1.6's?
  • 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
    manlystanley
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
    Glad to hear you like it Stan. Will you be using it with the 1.6's?

Yep... I wrote up a review on the 1.6's in the Planer speaker section. The 1.6's are tremendous speakers!
  • 01-01-2010, 11:29 PM
    harley .guy07
    I am glad that you are happy with your amp. It is a very powerful amplifier that has a price that is very affordable for the amount of power you get and the sound quality that is there. I am glad that someone found an amp that will work well with these speakers and is also affordable. Very cool
  • 01-02-2010, 10:14 AM
    frahengeo
    Congrats on the new acquisition. If I wasn't already set for Amps, I would've considered the Emo Amps. The recent sale they had was really enticing.
  • 01-15-2010, 01:26 AM
    javamark
    I got an XPA-2 delivered from Emotiva to Oz last month.

Big heavy sucker, sounds fabulous and incredible value. I reckon it looks great too.:)
  • 02-11-2010, 11:48 AM
    Time_Lord
    javamark, the unit you got, you didn't need a stepdown transformer or anything? the unit will work fine with the australian power supply. AS I am deciding on whether to get the XPA 5 or UPA 5

Thanks
  • 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I am seriously looking at the Emotiva UMC-1 pre-amp and the UPA-7 amp, does anyone have any experience with these two audio pieces? Just trying to get some basic opinions before I purchase these for my kids new system.
  • 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I am seriously looking at the Emotiva UMC-1 pre-amp and the UPA-7 amp, does anyone have any experience with these two audio pieces? Just trying to get some basic opinions before I purchase these for my kids new system.

I have the 7-channel amp, it is an incredible value. It easily outperforms my Adcom/Rotel/NAD stuff...I was using 2 Adcom's and a Rotel amp prior to purchasing and I have been very impressed. It is not the end all be all in refinement, and isn't quite as bright as my Adcom stuff was (which I tend to prefer just a tad) but not as dull as NAD either. Way better than any receiver amps.

The early UMC-1 reviews are mixed. It's been out a month or so, sound quality/video quality are said to be good, but several minor bugs prompted the first firmware upgrade. Probably needs a couple months to get through initial issues before a proper review can be done.
  • 02-12-2010, 11:34 AM
    BRANDONH
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Time_Lord
    javamark, the unit you got, you didn't need a stepdown transformer or anything? the unit will work fine with the australian power supply. AS I am deciding on whether to get the XPA 5 or UPA 5

Thanks

I know the XPA-5 automatically detects the voltage of 120 or 230.
    Is Australia 230 volt?
    If so you should not need a converter.
    * IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable

X-Series Amplifier Manual (PDF)
  • 02-19-2010, 08:20 AM
    BRANDONH
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manlystanley
    I got my XPA-2 in yesterday. As soon as I hooked it up to my B&W 684's and heard 5 seconds of it, I knew it was a huge improvement. The music sounded full, rich and bass was deep. It is still not as warm as my old H/K 655, but it sounds good. I'm very pleased that I upgraded.

I read on the Emotiva site how people were saying that the XPA-2 is just a UPA-2 with more power and people like me are "imagining any difference between the two amps"...... We'll I'm happily living in fantasy land......

Best Regards,
    Stan

I got the XPA-5 (for center & surround) and was impressed with it.
    I recommended the XPA-2 to a friend (from another forum)
    Any further musings you want to share that I can pass on to him?
  • 07-09-2012, 07:03 AM
    Rebos12367
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BRANDONH View Post
    I know the XPA-5 automatically detects the voltage of 120 or 230.
    Is Australia 230 volt?
    If so you should not need a converter.
    * IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable

X-Series Amplifier Manual (PDF)

I'd call a local electrician I live in the states and had a great chance to pick up a Whompus Cat Rotel Amp. It was 230 v though. I though no big deal I'll poke a hole through the wall and plug it into our Dryer outlet. I was told yep that will work, for a bit. The damage will happen because of the 50 htz vs 60 htz difference not the voltage.
    Again call someone who understands electricity
    Cheers,
    Bruce