Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Emotiva Great Prices! What to do? Emotiva PreAmp Umc1 or Similar Price Receiver?

Hello All! I could use your help. I have a Proceed Amp 5 that I'm going to upgrade to the Emotiva XPA-5 From a 125watts to 200watts then maybe later add the XPA-2 or 1 mono-blocks for the Front.
    I know Separates is the way to go. I have a B&K Ref50 Its out dated(no HDMI), not paying that kind of money for a Preamp Again(unless the dollars roll in like that). I use to have the Denon 5805 in shop now(not sure if worth saving). I end up using the Receiver Yamaha RX V863 as a Preamp. Now I'm thinking of getting the Emotiva Preamp Because the price is Great. I'm concern about the Technology now that 3D is out, I'm thinking of getting a 3D TV(another story). The Receivers are always ahead of Technology or you going to pay a high price on the up to date Preamp and or they late to getting into the new tech game. I'm Looking and doing my Research to get the best for my money. The Emotiva Preamp is $699 What to Do? Let me know what you think. Thank you!

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

Peace, Love and Oneness!
    Stephen
    "SATYAM"

Going from 120 Watts to 200 is less than a 3dB change. IMO that's not enough to change amps.
    You could do what I and others do. Have a good two channel system with a preamp that has an HT bypass. Use that for all two channel sources. Go to bypass mode for MC source matériel. All MC sources go through the MC processor. The front outs go to the preamp and are active in bypass mode. A stereo preamp in bypass mode is just wire and two switch contacts.
    Of course, this requires a separate MC pre-pro. IMO this approach gives the best of both worlds when you have one system in one room.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenMH
    Hello All! I could use your help. I have a Proceed Amp 5 that I'm going to upgrade to the Emotiva XPA-5 From a 125watts to 200watts then maybe later add the XPA-2 or 1 mono-blocks for the Front.
    I know Separates is the way to go. I have a B&K Ref50 Its out dated(no HDMI), not paying that kind of money for a Preamp Again(unless the dollars roll in like that). I use to have the Denon 5805 in shop now(not sure if worth saving). I end up using the Receiver Yamaha RX V863 as a Preamp. Now I'm thinking of getting the Emotiva Preamp Because the price is Great. I'm concern about the Technology now that 3D is out, I'm thinking of getting a 3D TV(another story). The Receivers are always ahead of Technology or you going to pay a high price on the up to date Preamp and or they late to getting into the new tech game. I'm Looking and doing my Research to get the best for my money. The Emotiva Preamp is $699 What to Do? Let me know what you think. Thank you!

Peace, Love and Oneness!
    Stephen
    "SATYAM"
    Here are follow-up questions to Stephen's that definitely fall under the newbie category. Can good HT sound come from a single amp or pre-amp/amp (Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-5)? Is there a set-up that enables the listener to easily switch from 2 channel stereo to HT? Why is it necessary/best to have separate amps for the fronts from the other speakers?
    TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Going from 120 Watts to 200 is less than a 3dB change. IMO that's not enough to change amps.
    You could do what I and others do. Have a good two channel system with a preamp that has an HT bypass. Use that for all two channel sources. Go to bypass mode for MC source matériel. All MC sources go through the MC processor. The front outs go to the preamp and are active in bypass mode. A stereo preamp in bypass mode is just wire and two switch contacts.
    Of course, this requires a separate MC pre-pro. IMO this approach gives the best of both worlds when you have one system in one room.
    Thank You for your Info its Great! Seem like what you're saying is that exchanging for more wattage or RMS is not going to be that much of a difference.

My setup is similar to what you're saying. Its a little different if I'm reading it right. I have all my stereo components going to my McIntosh Preamp C39 although its Pro-logic(using it as a Stereo, I love the Sound Quality and the way its look. Its going into my Receiver(Yamaha RX V863) as another component. When I play my Music or XM Radio or anything Stereo I turn the Receiver to Pure Direct(what a Difference). I have the Surround going into Proceed Amp5 from the Yamaha. The main Front from the Receiver to either the B&K ST140 X 2(one per Speaker), Odyssey Stratos Extreme Mono Block and the Jolida JD801A(Which I have them hooked up now). I do Like the Thing about Variety is the Spice of Life

I'm guessing now. What do you mean by "MC" processor, "MC" pre-pro and IMO? This will complete my Brain. Thank you Again for your input Good Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky
    Here are follow-up questions to Stephen's that definitely fall under the newbie category. Can good HT sound come from a single amp or pre-amp/amp (Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-5)? Is there a set-up that enables the listener to easily switch from 2 channel stereo to HT? Why is it necessary/best to have separate amps for the fronts from the other speakers?
    TIA.
    Thank You for More Simplicity, thinking and Clarity! I do have it where I can switch back and forth from stereo to HomeTheatre. It would nice to know if there any Big Difference. I do know that certain Amp have certain characters of sounds that their usually known for. That is one of the reasons I have a varieties of Amps; solid state and tubes. It seems to be about matching up the synergy with the Receiver, Preamp, Amp and Speaker than with Power of Wattage and RMS. I do know that its best to go with RMS in the Measurement in Amp. Its so much to Learn and Experience that's Life! Its nice having Fun!

Suspended
    One of the members here who used a Yamaha receiver for surround bought the UMC-1 and says the sound quality was definitely improved, especially 2-channel.

"MC" = multichannel.

Your arrangement is a bit backward if I understand what you are doing. The Yamaha is more current on surround function, right? I doubt the Mac has a theater bypass but you could run from the Yamaha front main (L/R) preamp output into the Mac's tape monitor loop for surround and when listening to stereo just use the Mac straight to an amp. When using surround you'd have to have the Mac on and set to the tape monitor so the front channels will flow through to the power amp that is driving the front left/right speakers.

A dedicated power amp will sound better and give more headroom than your receiver's built in amp. An amp's power supply is everything. The outboard amp will have more power and a dedicated power supply. "Headroom" means there is power in reserve for peak demands. If no power in reserve and a demand is placed on the amp you get distortion. You can't neglect other components in the chain though, so upgrading the power amp will help but source, preamp and speakers need to be taken into account. For instance, a power amp will have a more noticeable effect when paired with a dedicated preamp than a $300.00 receiver. There is only so much that can go into one box and keep the cost down. Another reason outboard amps are usually a nice improvement. Another example is why put money into an external power amp if you have those tiny cube speakers, unless you plan to upgrade in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    One of the members here who used a Yamaha receiver for surround bought the UMC-1 and says the sound quality was definitely improved, especially 2-channel.

"MC" = multichannel.

Your arrangement is a bit backward if I understand what you are doing. The Yamaha is more current on surround function, right? I doubt the Mac has a theater bypass but you could run from the Yamaha front main (L/R) preamp output into the Mac's tape monitor loop for surround and when listening to stereo just use the Mac straight to an amp. When using surround you'd have to have the Mac on and set to the tape monitor so the front channels will flow through to the power amp that is driving the front left/right speakers.

A dedicated power amp will sound better and give more headroom than your receiver's built in amp. An amp's power supply is everything. The outboard amp will have more power and a dedicated power supply. "Headroom" means there is power in reserve for peak demands. If no power in reserve and a demand is placed on the amp you get distortion. You can't neglect other components in the chain though, so upgrading the power amp will help but source, preamp and speakers need to be taken into account. For instance, a power amp will have a more noticeable effect when paired with a dedicated preamp than a $300.00 receiver. There is only so much that can go into one box and keep the cost down. Another reason outboard amps are usually a nice improvement. Another example is why put money into an external power amp if you have those tiny cube speakers, unless you plan to upgrade in the near future.
    This is Great You're Deep Brother Man!
    Again Thanks for the Info from the Bottom and or the Top of my Heart!

Just to be Clear are you saying that the Emotiva UMC-1 sound better than the Yamaha receiver. Just curious, do you remember or heard whats the model number of the Yamaha? The Preamp Emotiva UMC-1 cost less than what I paid for my Yamaha RX V863. The Emotiva Preamp sound like a great Deal.

A few years back I have tried something like that before I cannot remember exactly how I did it. I think it was a pain because I had to switch the receiver and the Mac C39 Preamp. When a commercial comes on the TV, I like to turn on my XM satellite Radio or any music that's already on the Mac Preamp. When you say the tape monitor Loop is that in or out and if its in does it have to be the tape I'm already using them with my Nikamitshi DR-8 Cassette player and Polk audio XM Satellite not sure got so much hooked up. Is there a reason to hooking up the Tape Loop, question weather in or out?

The Receiver is hook up to a Proceed Amp5 to Center, Left, right Surround Speakers and Left, Right Back Speakers. At this moment The Left, Right Front to the Tube Jolida JD801A to Floor Model Speakers Von Schweikert Research VR4 jr.

Thank You again for the Info this is Great!
    Stephen

Suspended

Just to be Clear are you saying that the Emotiva UMC-1 sound better than the Yamaha receiver. Just curious, do you remember or heard whats the model number of the Yamaha? The Preamp Emotiva UMC-1 cost less than what I paid for my Yamaha RX V863. The Emotiva Preamp sound like a great Deal.

* Yes, the Emo sounded better is what was reported. I can't remember the model, Kexodus is the member who made the switch, we'd talked about it recently but I can't even remember which thread.

A few years back I have tried something like that before I cannot remember exactly how I did it. I think it was a pain because I had to switch the receiver and the Mac C39 Preamp. When a commercial comes on the TV, I like to turn on my XM satellite Radio or any music that's already on the Mac Preamp. When you say the tape monitor Loop is that in or out and if its in does it have to be the tape I'm already using them with my Nikamitshi DR-8 Cassette player and Polk audio XM Satellite not sure got so much hooked up. Is there a reason to hooking up the Tape Loop, question weather in or out?

* You would use "tape in" so the volume of the receiver would control the overall volume when watching a movie. Using the tape loop bypasses volume on the Mac.

The Receiver is hook up to a Proceed Amp5 to Center, Left, right Surround Speakers and Left, Right Back Speakers. At this moment The Left, Right Front to the Tube Jolida JD801A to Floor Model Speakers Von Schweikert Research VR4 jr.

Why not just hook everything to the receiver as the Mac connected to the receiver still sends the signal there any way? See what I mean, if the signal goes through the receiver any way then there is really no reason to use the Mac. By setting it up the way I showed you the signal would go from Mac straight to amp bypassing any possible effect of going through the receiver. I guess your Mac wouldn't happen to have two tape loops would it?

Stephen
    You are welcome

You know what I do is have two complete separate systems but they both use my main left/right speakers. What I do is to plug in the speaker cable from which ever system I plan to use. It's not hard with banana plugs and easy access.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Stephen
    Hi Stephen MH,

Mr. P may have been referring to me. I upgraded from an RX-V1500 model Yamaha. This would be a step up in size on the RX-V863 unit you have. I noticed an improvement in sound quality and video quality too when switching to the UMC-1. Especially analog sources (2-channel stereo and 5.1 multi-channel audio). There are some things I don't like about the UMC-1 compared to my Yamaha, but these deal with the user interface and menus, not sound quality. I owned Yamaha receivers since 2001 so I guess I grew use to the way they do things.

I can't imagine the Yamaha RX-V863 sounding better than the UMC-1. For processor/pre-amp duties, I think it is a much better option than using receivers.
    You might also look at Integra. They run a lot more money but also sound very good and would be a step up from a receiver. I wrote some comments on my UMC-1 experience here in this thread if you follow the conversation:
    Emotiva Ultra 12, 1st impressions

What is it you are hoping to accomplish exactly? Improve your sound for movie playback? Do you listen to SACDs or DVD-A?

You are welcome

You know what I do is have two complete separate systems but they both use my main left/right speakers. What I do is to plug in the speaker cable from which ever system I plan to use. It's not hard with banana plugs and easy access.
    Thank You! Mr P.

On My Mac C39 I do have two tape input they are both filled. I can change it around if need be. Is there any reason for putting Preout to Tape in and what if I put it in another component input?

When You say Tape Loop can you elaborate on that some more please? Is that the Tape out Record?

I'm curious, Why would I want the Yamaha AV to bypass the Volume sound thru the Mac?

If I remember right awhile back I had the Receiver AV going to the Mac In component and the Mac Main Preout going into the Amp.

Now getting to the two separate setup completed, do you mean switching the Banana Plug Speaker wires out of the Yamaha AV then switch the wires to the Mac?

That mean I could not switch back and forth listening to music while the commercial is on the TV. Just putting forth an effort to be clear or maybe I miss something. Picking the easiest route to go, at the same time getting the Best Sound for the Money, Ergonomic and Practicality ...etc

The Hardest part for me is Thinking this out.

Again Thank You I Appreciate your support and Help!
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hi Stephen MH,

Mr. P may have been referring to me. I upgraded from an RX-V1500 model Yamaha. This would be a step up in size on the RX-V863 unit you have. I noticed an improvement in sound quality and video quality too when switching to the UMC-1. Especially analog sources (2-channel stereo and 5.1 multi-channel audio). There are some things I don't like about the UMC-1 compared to my Yamaha, but these deal with the user interface and menus, not sound quality. I owned Yamaha receivers since 2001 so I guess I grew use to the way they do things.

I can't imagine the Yamaha RX-V863 sounding better than the UMC-1. For processor/pre-amp duties, I think it is a much better option than using receivers.
    You might also look at Integra. They run a lot more money but also sound very good and would be a step up from a receiver. I wrote some comments on my UMC-1 experience here in this thread if you follow the conversation:
    Emotiva Ultra 12, 1st impressions

What is it you are hoping to accomplish exactly? Improve your sound for movie playback? Do you listen to SACDs or DVD-A?
    Thank You for Reply!

A little while back was checking out the Yamaha RX V1500 in the stores and online. Just curious what brand name amp or multi channel did you use? When you played your music did you use the Pure Direct button on the Yamaha, if so where there any or big differences?

I'm into Music and Movies alot. I'm really into sound effect in movies and well recorded in both. I read for Reference Quality Movies in Widescreen Magazines and other Mags that I get. Also what little I can find out on Well Recorded Music. Yes I do have both SACDs and DVD-A including Vinyl records.

My Goal is Getting the Best for my money like a lot of Budget Challenge Folks. I like banking on Creating, Miracles, Luck, Magic and the Knowingness somehow the Best is going to Manifest and you all helping with info!

That is one of the Reason I was checking out Emotiva's Amps and AV Preamp.

Hopfully that gives you a ideal what I'm going toward. Again Thank You for the Reply and support!
    Stephen

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Thank You for Reply!

A little while back was checking out the Yamaha RX V1500 in the stores and online. Just curious what brand name amp or multi channel did you use? When you played your music did you use the Pure Direct button on the Yamaha, if so where there any or big differences?

I'm into Music and Movies alot. I'm really into sound effect in movies and well recorded in both. I read for Reference Quality Movies in Widescreen Magazines and other Mags that I get. Also what little I can find out on Well Recorded Music. Yes I do have both SACDs and DVD-A including Vinyl records.

My Goal is Getting the Best for my money like a lot of Budget Challenge Folks. I like banking on Creating, Miracles, Luck, Magic and the Knowingness somehow the Best is going to Manifest and you all helping with info!

That is one of the Reason I was checking out Emotiva's Amps and AV Preamp.

Hopfully that gives you a ideal what I'm going toward. Again Thank You for the Reply and support!
    Stephen
    When I had the Yamaha originally it was connected to 3 amps. Primarily 2 Adcom GFA-535II's and a Rotel RB-980. Sometimes I put in a NAD 2200 or an AudioSource Amp-One for giggles, but mostly the 2 Adcoms and Rotel. One of my Adcom's finally died and repair was going to be a couple hundred bucks so after listening to a friend's Emotiva amp I bought their 7-channel amp. Decent improvement over the Rotel/Adcoms in this config. My main 2-channel system uses a Rotel RA-1070 integrated. I also have a NAD 3020 and 3140, and have owned a few other NAD and Arcam amps in my time.

Now I use the UMC-1 with the Emotiva amp.

I did notice some difference with Pure Direct, but not a huge difference - it never sounded as pure as my Rotel. My UMC-1 is very clean by comparison. Very quiet. The Yamaha was fine, I liked it for what it was but it had its limitations. I think I may even try the XPA-2 in that system next, I like my home theater rig so much I'm listening to more 2-channel music on it now than ever (it's in a more comfortable room than my stereo).

If you plan on using analog inputs into the processor, the UMC-1 is a very good performer.

Suspended
    Steven, when watching a movie you want to control everything from the Yamaha. So going from Yamaha front preamp output into the Mac "tape in" the signal just passes through the Mac and goes straight to the power amp driving the front left/right speakers. If you use a regular input the volume on the Mac would always have to be in the same position or the speaker set up of the Yamaha would be off from the original set up.

In my room I have a set of cables from my CJ amp running to the back of the speakers and another set of speaker cables coming from my Linn amp up to the back of the speakers. When wanting 2-channel i will plug in the CJ and with movies I plug in the Linn.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Hindsight is 20:20, but I think it's best to wait on getting the UMC-1. In theory it's a great deal, but some users are starting to really feel like beta testers and starting to bail on the product. I'd think it's best to wait for UMC-1.1 or UMC-2. I'd think that in 3-6 months they'll have the kinks worked out.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

I know Separates is the way to go.

Peace, Love and Oneness!
    Stephen
    "SATYAM"
    Stephen,
    Not sure about your direction here, but i seriously doubt any Emotiva amp is an upgrade over a Proceed. Keep the Proceed and work on the HT processor side of the equation. Proceed, when produced, made some great sounding amps. Keep it!

I would keep the Proceed.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    I thought the excuse for the UMC taking so long to hit the market was they were "working the bugs out". To be fair though it's not the first time a product hit the market with issues to be resolved.

I thought the excuse for the UMC taking so long to hit the market was they were "working the bugs out". To be fair though it's not the first time a product hit the market with issues to be resolved.

As a software test engineer of 10 years...there should be folks who find these bugs before they hit the public. The fact they released their product with that many bugs tells me they didn't pay extra for testing (China) or were over confidant in their design.

Trust me, most companies feel they will catch defects and choose not to spend the money on testing, but the reality is any bug found by the consumer costs them at least twice as much as finding it during production.

Maybe a jab here, but I purchase used vs. their gear. There is no excuse for their amount of bugs, period!

Suspended
    I haven't kept up with the extent of issues on the UMC. I'm not disagreeing but remembering all the issues with HDMI compliance and other Blu-ray player issues and these are products from companies much much larger than Emotiva, I can't get overly worked up about Emo having one product not perfect.

I actually agree that no company should have a product hit the market before it is ready. But I thought I was the only one in the world. You should have seen my thread some time back when I complained about BDP's having to have firmware upgrades all the time, boy, the fanboys were all over me. They even denied the importance of the updates.

My point is though if people are willing to accept these types of issues from the likes of Sony and Panasonic they have no room to be upset with Emo.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I actually agree that no company should have a product hit the market before it is ready. But I thought I was the only one in the world. You should have seen my thread some time back when I complained about BDP's having to have firmware upgrades all the time, boy, the fanboys were all over me. They even denied the importance of the updates.
    It is not that we didn't think they were important, it is just that we thought you were making a big deal about nothing really. Most of us had the PS3, and updating them was a snap, and in my case completely hands off. When an update came, my playing downloaded it without any interaction from me. I know having a non wireless player creates more hassle, and I also know that the player you owned had numerous issues, but most of us PS3 guys didn't have those kinds of problems and didn't think firmware updates were a big deal. When you were having trouble with your BR player, we were getting updates that had actual goodies in them, not problem solving updates. I have a extremely expensive processor/switcher that has updates done to it at least once a week to improve something or another. It is hooked up to a network, and it also done without my interaction. I guess I am far less concerned about upgrades because they are not a hassle to me, and require nothing from me.

My point is though if people are willing to accept these types of issues from the likes of Sony and Panasonic they have no room to be upset with Emo.
    I am far from upset with Emotiva, and just want to test their pre-pro, and if I like it I would buy it. I think we can accept this from Sony and Panasonic because they make it easier for us to do it. It is not a hassle. I just got an update to my PS3 last week, I can't even remember which day it was, or if it was even last week!!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    As a software test engineer of 10 years...there should be folks who find these bugs before they hit the public. The fact they released their product with that many bugs tells me they didn't pay extra for testing (China) or were over confidant in their design.

Trust me, most companies feel they will catch defects and choose not to spend the money on testing, but the reality is any bug found by the consumer costs them at least twice as much as finding it during production.

Maybe a jab here, but I purchase used vs. their gear. There is no excuse for their amount of bugs, period!
    Being a software test engineer, you know often fixes are not always reliable. Sometimes making one fix causes other problems. It's a long, costly process, resulting many times in the need for "on-site engineering", or in this case on-line support. Salesmen are often the cause by making unrealistic promises to customers as far as dates and features.

When it comes to consumer products manufacturers, because of economics, or to hit a price point, don't always follow the rules causing incompatibilities. I ran into this problem a few years ago with DVD copy-protection.

Because we have to be compatible will all DVD players, we test our major protection version in our media test centers in Japan, USA and Austria on up to as many as 500 players of all costs.

Since copy-protection has to stay ahead of the rippers, changes are made often. Once after releasing one protection version we discovered problems with several cheap ($30-$60) and some DVD player/recorders. This resulted in boot-up issues with about ten titles.

As a result we now test not only in our facilities, but also use many outside testing facilities and test on as many players as possible. Now we won't release a new version unless every players from every facility plays a set of specific test discs. Usually a movie disc and several series titles with multiple chapters/features.

The more complex the product the more opportunity for problems. I've read many magazine reviews where the review component didn't sounds as expected, only to read later in the review or a follow-up, something wasn't quite right with the review component. It's unrealistic to believe a complex piece of hardware/software will hit the market perfect. Buy used gear over Emotiva if you like, but chances are the used gear had issues in its time as well.

The real point here is Emotiva is aware of the issues and they're addressing them. For your sake, I hope the manufacturer of the used gear did as well.

Suspended
    I dropped the USP-1 into my main system tonight for a short listen. It's a very good preamp. The sound stage is as large as any of the high end preamps I've used. The bass plays very low. It seems the mid bass may be a bit light and perhaps this is to accentuate the midrange and allow more detail to shine through. The kick drums are tight and hit, the region I'm talking about is more in the electric bass area. The highs to me do not seem to be extended, but maybe a bit pronounced in the 10k area as to not tip some one off. The overall sound I'd say was neutral, bass varied from recording to recording and the preamp was not forgiving on bad recordings. The sound reminds me a lot of the ERC-1 except the USP-1 has a strong bottom octave and maybe a bit more musical. Certain cymbals didn't sound natural and I'm fixing to play those CD's through my CJ preamp when it warms up to see if it's the recording or the USP-1. I hope I don't sound overly critical, my comments were as comparing to a high end preamp. Trust me, when I say the USP-1 is an excellent value.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    I dropped the USP-1 into my main system tonight for a short listen. It's a very good preamp. The sound stage is as large as any of the high end preamps I've used. The bass plays very low. It seems the mid bass may be a bit light and perhaps this is to accentuate the midrange and allow more detail to shine through. The kick drums are tight and hit, the region I'm talking about is more in the electric bass area. The highs to me do not seem to be extended, but maybe a bit pronounced in the 10k area as to not tip some one off. The overall sound I'd say was neutral, bass varied from recording to recording and the preamp was not forgiving on bad recordings. The sound reminds me a lot of the ERC-1 except the USP-1 has a strong bottom octave and maybe a bit more musical. Certain cymbals didn't sound natural and I'm fixing to play those CD's through my CJ preamp when it warms up to see if it's the recording or the USP-1. I hope I don't sound overly critical, my comments were as comparing to a high end preamp. Trust me, when I say the USP-1 is an excellent value.
    Mr. P.,
    Great initial review! I'll be waiting for your further thoughts on it.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Steven, when watching a movie you want to control everything from the Yamaha. So going from Yamaha front preamp output into the Mac "tape in" the signal just passes through the Mac and goes straight to the power amp driving the front left/right speakers. If you use a regular input the volume on the Mac would always have to be in the same position or the speaker set up of the Yamaha would be off from the original set up.

In my room I have a set of cables from my CJ amp running to the back of the speakers and another set of speaker cables coming from my Linn amp up to the back of the speakers. When wanting 2-channel i will plug in the CJ and with movies I plug in the Linn.
    Hello Partner!
    Thank you for the Info. I tried it on my Mac. C39 it was acting crazy. I had no control over the volume; the Yamaha or the Mac. Then I left the Mac hooked up to the Amp. I could not hear much of a difference. Plus it was a hassle to mute on the Yamaha while a commercial was on TV. Then use the separate volume on the Mac. Its probably not working right any how. I use the Mac remote and I use the Harmony One remote. It act the same way on both sometime it work and sometimes not. So I switch back this time instead of going back to my Jolida JD801a tube amp, I hooked back my Odyssey Strata Extreme Mono block amp. It was like having new equipment and new sound! Also it was great using just one remote for volume on everything. Again Thank you for your help!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Hindsight is 20:20, but I think it's best to wait on getting the UMC-1. In theory it's a great deal, but some users are starting to really feel like beta testers and starting to bail on the product. I'd think it's best to wait for UMC-1.1 or UMC-2. I'd think that in 3-6 months they'll have the kinks worked out.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Thanks Stan,

I went to their web site, look at there video seen what all ya had to go thru to upgrade the software on the Preamp. I agree with you. Plus I got a new Mitsubishi 3D TV. Three things one; either wait till they get a new version that include the 3D(also get rid of the bugs)Two; do my homework on a sleeper Receiver 3D that's really good around the same price or under a thousand but get it close to half the price and third; get a 3D Blu ray player that has two HDMI out, one to the receiver or preamp and one to the TV, Panasonic has a model.

Thanks alot
    Stephen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information