• 12-02-2010, 04:23 AM
    Poultrygeist
    Emotiva BPA-1 = Dayton APA150
    These two amps appear to be the same. I picked the Dayton up on P.E.'s BF sale and it's quite the little power house. It's heavy and about the same size as a small loaf of bread. I was surprised at it's clear and powerful sound in stereo and eventually plan to use it to drive two big Eminence Alpha's bass drivers in open baffles. What makes it great for this application is it's cross over control. It's got a big cooling fan which never came on while playing it. I believe there are some other reviews here on the Emo/Dayton.

As inexpensive mono-blocks the Dayton could kick serious butt with it's impressive 200 watt bridged power.

http://www.emotiva.com/bpa1.html

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...pa%20150%20amp
  • 12-02-2010, 04:31 AM
    Ajani
    Yep, that's the same amp... Same distinctive cosmetics, features, measurements and even price...

So now you have your first taste of an Emotiva amplifier...

Can you do me a favour and try it with the Omens??? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that combo, especially compared to the miniwatt driving the Omens...
  • 12-02-2010, 04:42 AM
    Hyfi
    So who rebranded who?

The Dayton has a different Pass knob and has multi power settings.
  • 12-02-2010, 04:59 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi
    So who rebranded who?

The Dayton has a different Pass knob and has multi power settings.

I believe Dayton did the rebranding... Emotiva does OEM for several manufacturers, that's what they started off doing before launching their own brand...

Also the fact that Emo discontinued that BPA-1 a long time ago and Dayton appears to have only got it relatively recently, then I'd say that it was Dayton that rebranded...
  • 12-02-2010, 05:24 AM
    Poultrygeist
    Emotiva was selling it first until Parts Express picked it up under the Dayton rebadge. I downloaded the Emo 15 page manual as the Dayton came with one page of instructions.

I didn't realize that the original distributor for the BPA was the ill fated av123. I always enjoyed that forum and their products.

Ajani, I'll try it with the Omens and report back. Yesterday I tried a ancient Rotel/Martel single ended tube receiver ( I'll discuss in another post ) with the Omens and the sound was smooth as a baby's butt. Everything sounds nice with these puppies and no doubt the Emo will as well.
  • 12-02-2010, 05:32 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    Emotiva was selling it first until Parts Express picked it up under the Dayton rebadge. I downloaded the Emo 15 page manual as the Dayton came with one page of instructions.

I didn't realize that the original distributor for the BPA was the ill fated av123. I always enjoyed that forum and their products.

Ajani, I'll try it with the Omens and report back. Yesterday I tried a ancient Rotel/Martel single ended tube receiver ( I'll discuss in another post ) with the Omens and the sound was smooth as a baby's butt. Everything sounds nice with these puppies and no doubt the Emo will as well.

Yep, Emotiva started out being distributed by AV123, but for obvious reasons they severed that relationship...

Also, since I still haven't decided on speakers yet, the Omens are a possibility if they sound good with Emo gear...
  • 12-02-2010, 03:26 PM
    harley .guy07
    I don't know about Emotiva but I do know that dayton rebadges its electronics and Emo has a manufacturing plant in china under a different name making their stuff and some of the other stuff for other manufacturers. I have heard that this is a killer little amp for the price and can drive some difficult loads. Would be great for a second system driving a pair of towers in my living room and keeping things hidden due to the small nature of these amps and I would run audio out of my laptop through a dac to run them.