AR Newbie Registered Member

Integra 7.8 as a preamp

I am in the process of building my HT. I have compiled a decent set of Def Tech speakers BP 2002 fronts, CLR 2002 center, BP 1.2x surround and Studiomonitor 350 rears. I just finished building an infinite baffel sub (side note: totally worthwhile. I never knew...I never even saw it coming...) and finishing building my HT room.

At some point I will be using my Integra 7.8 receiver as a preamp (it has RCA preamp outs). It sounds real good for a receiver and has tons of connections/features etc. The question is can I just add a 2 channel amp to the fronts, and use the receiver amp for the other channels or do I need to wait and pull the plug for 7 channels of external amps all at the same time?

I am thinking of getting another Behringer for the fronts (ep1500). I doubt that I will even hook up the subs on the Def Tech BP2002s. They are nice, but the IB is a different ball game. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstertruck
    I am in the process of building my HT. I have compiled a decent set of Def Tech speakers BP 2002 fronts, CLR 2002 center, BP 1.2x surround and Studiomonitor 350 rears. I just finished building an infinite baffel sub (side note: totally worthwhile. I never knew...I never even saw it coming...) and finishing building my HT room.

At some point I will be using my Integra 7.8 receiver as a preamp (it has RCA preamp outs). It sounds real good for a receiver and has tons of connections/features etc. The question is can I just add a 2 channel amp to the fronts, and use the receiver amp for the other channels or do I need to wait and pull the plug for 7 channels of external amps all at the same time?

I am thinking of getting another Behringer for the fronts (ep1500). I doubt that I will even hook up the subs on the Def Tech BP2002s. They are nice, but the IB is a different ball game. Any other thoughts are appreciated.
    If your receiver has pre-outs, you can use it to power the surrounds. This is exactly what I do with my Yamaha right now. Usually pre-outs are only available on the mid-level and up receivers, so the pre-amp/processing stages are fairly good. You won't get quite the refinement of a dedicated processor where you'll notice slightly better 2-channel performance, but I think you'll notice a worthwhile improvement using external, quality amplification on the mains. In my case, the surround channels improved a bit in dynamics and clarity at higher volumes, and even some spaciousness, which I think all can be accounted for by the fact the receiver's amps are working less hard, while crosstalk is reduced. Integra's are decent receivers to begin with so I'm guessing it'll act as a great pre/pro.

I've heard mixed reviews on using that Behringer amp for driving loudspeakers, with people suggesting it an upgrade over a receiver, but perhaps not as good as other home audio or pro-amp options. Subwoofer use is perfect because our ears are far more forgiving to any shortcomings it might have. I don't own one myself so I can't comment personally, but if the specs are to your liking and conducive to decent stereo performance it should work. Does it have a fan? That could be a real downer, even the variable speed units can be a bit noisy.

Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by kexodusc; 04-26-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Whoooaahhh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monstertruck

Okay...now fess up, spew the beans. Whatcha got for the IB sub? Which drivers? How'd you do it? What'd ya use for a manifold? You driving it with the Behringer? pics?

I'm building a theater room and the IB sub is my next upgrade after I get an HDMI capable processor unit.

I've heard 3 IB setups, and they are "infinitely" superior IMO. There's nothing else like it.

Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure that I will go ahead and get an amp for the mains. I'll look around, but the sub $300 on the Behringer EP1500 is hard to beat.

For the IB sub, it is a small IB sub. 2 15" Tempest X in a wall mount manifold design. It is at the ceiling level just above the center. I have a Behringer EP2500 going to it. Like I said, it is very recently built. I haven't gotten it EQ'ed yet. However, it is the best thing to come to bass that I have heard. Super smooth, great integration, plenty of power and I haven't even started to push it. It can easily over power my mains and make everything sound bassy, but that is just because it has much more power than the rest of the receiver driven system...thus the inquiry about upgrading amps.
    I'll get back when I spend a little more time with it. Honestly I still haven't even painted or put trim up in the room yet.

Sorry couple of details: The manifold is 3/4" MDF inside layer, 3/4" plywood outer. Front opening is 14.5" x 17". Wired at 8 ohms (voice coils series, drivers parallel.)

I have the amp(s) in the same room as the sub, insulated by 3.5" fiberglass, 1" styrofoam and drywall. I don't hear the fan. The fan would be intolerable if in the listening room.

Thread Information