• 01-20-2004, 01:05 PM
    which dvd player for max 1200$
    Hello guys I am new in this audio waters and I would like to ask you if you could recommend me which dvd to buy.
    I have bought a Marantz av surround receiver model SR 7300 and Jamo 5.1 surround speakers. I am thinking about spending max 1200 $ on a DVD player so if you could say which :confused: Marantz DVD model would be the most apropriate for the above system. If you have a better idea of a marantz player say it, because I am open for new things.
    Thank you for your time :D
  • 01-20-2004, 11:40 PM
    F1
    $1200 for a DVD player??? To me that's waaay too expensive. I pair my SR 7300 with Panasonic RP82 and I'm happy with it. I paired with other budget DVD players from JVC, Toshiba and Pioneer and the results were good. Imo, any $200 DVD player in the market will give you very decent performance.
  • 01-21-2004, 03:33 PM
    poneal
    F1 is exactly right. Nowadays DVD players can be gotten for under $100. Maybe your talking about DVD-A/SACD players. Those units from higher end dealers are around the price your talking about.
  • 01-23-2004, 03:45 PM
    Waxxiemann
    Check out Rotel.

If I were to reccomend a DVD player I'd just say go all the way with a universal player from Marantz. The DV 8300 or 8400 are sweet :rolleyes:

Try and kill 2 birds with one stone and get a player that plays SACD and DVD audio. If you go this route, make sure to look for a player with deccent bass managment.

Onkyo and Denon both have nice new universal players as well.

Hope this helps :confused:
  • 01-25-2004, 09:11 PM
    PmR
    Panasonic is supposed to be producing a new line with Faroudja de-interlacers in the next month or so. The top end single-disc player will also play DVD-A. These are in essence updates to the very successful RP82/XP30/XP50 line. MSRP is supposed to be $299 and many have speculated a take-home price in the mid-200s.
  • 01-25-2004, 09:59 PM
    Norm Strong
    $1200 DVD player? That's like, "What car would you buy for $200,000?"
  • 01-26-2004, 11:07 AM
    some info missing
    Yes I know that for a player this price is absurde but I am looking for a dvd-a and SACD player, or let say a universal player.
    I've been looking and looking and landed on two models, so I ask for your advice.
    The two are:
    -Marantz DV6400 (if any one knows a review of this unit on the net, please send me a link)

-Denon DVD-2200 or DVD-2900

What do you think? :confused:
  • 01-26-2004, 02:34 PM
    PmR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luksan
    Yes I know that for a player this price is absurde but I am looking for a dvd-a and SACD player, or let say a universal player.
    I've been looking and looking and landed on two models, so I ask for your advice.
    The two are:
    -Marantz DV6400 (if any one knows a review of this unit on the net, please send me a link)

-Denon DVD-2200 or DVD-2900

What do you think? :confused:

I guess it depends on how much of an audiophile you are. The Denons will definitely give you a great picture. The 2900 will give you better audio play but I have heard complaints about bass management for both of these units. This could be dealt with by getting Odyssey's ICBM system as an add on.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Marantz in question.

If all you want is a decent progressive scan player that will allow you to play DVD-A and SACD than the Pioneer DV563A can be had for under $200. If you throw in the Odyssey bass management system you would have a pretty good solution for under $500.

I'm not sure that I believe your choice of receiver should make much a difference other than the aesthetics. The video is taken care of directly by the DVD player and audio will most likely run through the DACs and bass management system of the player you choose.