Driving older speakers

Printable View

• 04-01-2004, 07:29 PM
    mitchbrowne
    Driving older speakers
    I just picked up a pair of Pioneer HPM-100s, (en route from NY currently). What is the best way to drive these speakers? I either want to do it really cheap, or save a bit and do it right. My primary concern is getting enough power to let these guys really sing.

Thanks for you help, and currently I would be running this pair in Stereo, not part of a surround sound...would a receiver be the way to go, or an amp, pre-amp set up be preferable.

Thanks
  • 04-02-2004, 12:19 AM
    If you want to go cheap...really cheap...You can always go to a Church sale or garage sale. Usually you can get receivers or integrated amps from years ago for maybe 20 bux. If you have never been to these type of sales, remember never to pay the price they give. If they say 40, you give them 20. Even with LPs. They say 2 for a buck, I say 2 for 50 cents or 75 cents. Dont forget you are buying someone elses junk.
    Or you can be like one of my lucky friends. He got a panasonic receiver (10-15yrs old) + a CD player for only 25 bux off a friend. I checked it out myself and the receiver/cd player looks decent. The receiver even has mm phono and subouts. For 25 bux its a steal. (canadian dollars BTW)