Forum Regular

Dont know what to do....

ok, Went looking at some recivers....Denon 1804, Onkyo Sr601 and Sony STR-DA1000ES....

Ok first off was between denon and onkyo, flat out i jsut liek the sound of the onkyo, then it was between the Onkyo and sony.....was there for 3 hours watching one sceen from a movie i brought with me and switching back and forth between the two, to me there was not that much sound difference at all.....

I ended up going with the sony because they had an open box, wich was just an opened box...reciver and everything still sealed..... and it was only 530.....plus the 5 year warranty looked good too....

Now i get it home and hook it up, set it up, and it sounds great.......Now i am hearing from some people i talked to, start to tell me bad choice....and start showing me links for a HK AVR330. Is the HK gonna be that much of a better reciver than the 1000ES?

I think that your gonna find that a lot of people on this forum dislike Sony. Even there high end stuff. IMO, for that price, I would have take the onkyo or HK, but thats just me. Let you own ears decide. Just remember, its your money and your ears. Next time come here first and ask before buying. I can say that almost all the people who post here have valid input.

Forum Regular
    Why the buyers remorse? There is always a better component out there. You liked the Sony, you bought the Sony, be happy. I have always found HK to be over priced, at least in the two channel world.

If I could give you one bit of advice: Next time expand your search to include more manufaturers. Be happy with the Sony, it sounds like a good deal!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toofastgtp
    ok, Went looking at some recivers....Denon 1804, Onkyo Sr601 and Sony STR-DA1000ES....

Ok first off was between denon and onkyo, flat out i jsut liek the sound of the onkyo, then it was between the Onkyo and sony.....was there for 3 hours watching one sceen from a movie i brought with me and switching back and forth between the two, to me there was not that much sound difference at all.....

I ended up going with the sony because they had an open box, wich was just an opened box...reciver and everything still sealed..... and it was only 530.....plus the 5 year warranty looked good too....

Now i get it home and hook it up, set it up, and it sounds great.......Now i am hearing from some people i talked to, start to tell me bad choice....and start showing me links for a HK AVR330. Is the HK gonna be that much of a better reciver than the 1000ES?
    I wouldn't loose a minute sleep if I were you. At thiss price point they are all pretty much the same quality. To get one that sounds much better your going to have to go up to the flagship models.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Suspended

You said it yourself

"I got it home and it sounds great" If you are happy, that is what counts. Sony is still in business so there are millions of people somewhere who agree with YOU. I am an Onkyo fan, if you thought they sounded close and it beat the Denon, I'd say the Sony must be pretty good. And it always helps to get a deal. Be confident in your decision and enjoy.

Forum Regular
    Well im really not worried, i can take this unit back i still got 28 days to decide......But the Problem is that if i was to go to see the HK i would not beable to listen to it cus it is not hooked up....Now what about upgrading to the 2000ES with digital drive or is that not gonan be that big of a difference?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Technically Sony is probably a weaker built product. That said receivers are a huge compromise in sound quality anyway so I would buy the one you can get the CHEAPEST that have the features you NEED. HK is overpriced to me. History of quality control problems and market some tripe they call High Current. Not High enough to a move a flea off your balls but whatever. At least Sony doesn't make ridiculous claims - well except their watt numbers...but they all do that. 5 year warranty is nice as well and I have found Sony to be strong in the customer service area.

Sony is a bit hit and miss - they make phenomonally good products for low money and at ridiculous price points and they make some less than good stuff. So do most companies. Sony receivers seem to do OK versus the competition. Indeed, themodels a few years ago were compared and the Sony 555ES on a pure SOUND quality rating did better than the Denon 3802 in the BLIND level matched listening panel ratings. Basically the SOny lost points because they were priced too high but still - check out the receivers - but look at the sound rating not just the overall - some 4 star ones are better than others etc. http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_l...category=MULTI

2fast,
    You are splitting hairs here. The HK won't sound that much better. The 2000es won't sound better at all. As Geoff said, everything at this price point is pretty well the same. You already have the Sony and love the sound. The only thing you need to do now is grab your tunes, a bottle of wine, beer, or other libation (pick one or mix and match to your own detriment) and enjoy the music. Quit reading so much and listen more. The only opinion that matters is yours.

Enjoy your new toys

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Toofastgtp
    Well im really not worried, i can take this unit back i still got 28 days to decide......But the Problem is that if i was to go to see the HK i would not beable to listen to it cus it is not hooked up....Now what about upgrading to the 2000ES with digital drive or is that not gonan be that big of a difference?

In reality even if you could hook that H/K up, you'd have to have both side by side, levels matched to very close levels, better than you could do by ear, yuk, or an spl meter much closer but no cigar, and, you'd have to implement some bias controls to compare so only use your ears, not your eyes in knowing which component is playing.

Too many audiophile don't really trust only their ears and select components on other than sound quality only. Them are the facts.

So, don't worry, be happy. The evidence is not there for competent amps to sound different within their design limits.
    mtrycrafts

Thread Information