AR Newbie Registered Member

Can a separate power amplifier get along with the receiver?

I have owned a Yamaha RX-V365 AV Receiver lately along with the Polk Audio speakers: two of the Monitor 70, one CS1, two Monitor 30 Series II, and a subwoofer PSW505. I also have a Hafler DH-200 power amplifier that I purchased it 25 years ago. Can I use the DH-200 work with the Receiver RX-V365 together? How do I hook them up?

Quote Originally Posted by EH "King Crab"
    I have owned a Yamaha RX-V365 AV Receiver lately along with the Polk Audio speakers: two of the Monitor 70, one CS1, two Monitor 30 Series II, and a subwoofer PSW505. I also have a Hafler DH-200 power amplifier that I purchased it 25 years ago. Can I use the DH-200 work with the Receiver RX-V365 together? How do I hook them up?
    Hi, Crab; welcome to AR Forums.

I'm not specifically familiar with your particular Yammy receiver, however if it has "Preamp Out" RCA connections (at least for the L+R front channels), and some way to adjust the relative volume of the various channels, then YES! it's quite possible to use your Hafler to power your front speakers.

Disconnect your front speakers from your Yammy; run RCA interconnects to the Hafler; connect your speakers to the Hafler; rebalance the channel volumes from the Yammy. And you're in business.

Sorry, I don't see pre-outs on your model. Take a look on your unit though. Mistakes do happen.
    Here is where I looked. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Chicago IL
    There are no pre out on the back. Since you have a power amp, if you have a preamp, you can use the tape record output to get signal to the preamp and from the pramp to the power amp. There will be one inconvenience that the volume for the front speakers will be controlled from the preamp and not from the Yamaha!

No.

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    you can use the tape record output to get signal to the preamp and from the pramp to the power amp.
    Well, maybe, ...if he wants to run the Hafler full blast all the time, but I doubt that's the case.

Tape outs are before volume controls and that power amp has no level controls.

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Well, maybe, ...if he wants to run the Hafler full blast all the time, but I doubt that's the case.

Tape outs are before volume controls and that power amp has no level controls.
    I know mark, thats why I said that he will need a preamp for the power amp so he can control the volume from the preamplifier.

Technically true, and if pigs had wings, they could fly, too.

I know mark, thats why I said that he will need a preamp for the power amp so he can control the volume from the preamplifier.
    ... do you really, really think that's a viable solution?

Remember, this is not a two channel system. Balancing the volume between the front R/L and the center and surround channel every time he change the listening level would be an incredible hassle, doncha think?

Chicago IL
    Yeah I know that but there is no other way he can use the amp!

No S**T, Sherlock.

Yeah I know that but there is no other way he can use the amp!
    Sometimes, you can't get there from here.

Do you post just to post, whether you've got anything logical to add, or what?

Chicago IL
    I am just saying the only option he has in order to use the amp is to do it the way we mentioned above. If he wants to do it like that it is his option, maybe he wants to go through that process of adjusting the sound. Give the guy the possible options and he will decide for himself!

yeah, yeah... whatever you say.

I am just saying the only option he has in order to use the amp is to do it the way we mentioned above. If he wants to do it like that it is his option, maybe he wants to go through that process of adjusting the sound. Give the guy the possible options and he will decide for himself!
    It's stoopid advice like yours that prompted me to post less and less here. Buy, I'll still stop by to point out stupidity and/or arrogance on occasion.

Try truly helping others with their problems, not strokng your own "ego".

BTW, Something else to consider; I strongly doubt that any digitally sourced signals are sent out of the tape monitor.
    Last edited by markw; 12-21-2010 at 12:40 PM.

These arguments are why people are starting not to post here. The real answer and logical answer to the question is that with this particular Yamaha receiver there are no preamp outputs in order to run the amp. The real solution hear would be if the OP wants a combination home theater and 2 channel music system utilizing his hafler amp then he would have to upgrade receivers to a model that does have preamp outputs for at least the front 2 channels and that would be the only logical way to do it. The tape loop output through a preamp can work but it would be a pain in the you know what to constantly change teh volume on the preamp to match the constantly changing volume on the receiver. One could do it but after a week or so I would bet he would want to through the whole idea out the window due to the constant volume matching needs of that set up. Unfortunately with the model of receiver that he has a outboard amp is just not a viable option. I would consider a receiver upgrade or if separates are really something you are looking into since there are plenty of better receivers out there that have the pre outs that can make this happen. Come on guys thats be helpful here and not just argue back and forth.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Now a real question is why are you wanting to connect the hafler, sound quality upgrade or are you like a lot of people running receivers and the amp runs out or drive before the speakers even get going which is what a lot of people run into. Remember the power ratings on your receiver are usually measured with 1 channel driven and with each channel feeding off the same power supply the output will dramatically decrease as channels are activated. A receiver that will put out 100 watts into 1 channel rms might only put out 20 or 30 watts rms into 5 channels. I have seen real power ratings back this up every time and I don't see why the receiver manufacturers can keep doing this without disclosing their 5 channel power ratings up front so you know what you are buying. If you look at the back of your amp you will see a wattage input max of 240 watts on the power supply on things which should tell you that there is know way that this amps 75 to 100 watt ratting could output through 5 channels of output. I think if you are going to want more power I would start with a processor or receiver that have the outputs needed for you hafler or any other power amp to run off of then go from there. If multichannel is of importance to you then a multichannel power amp might be your best bet since it will improve the sound and dynamics of every speaker in your system.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Chicago IL
    Thanks Harley, I was thinking exactly the same, I never had the attempt to argue with Mark or anything. I think of this place to share information and knowledge, to correct each other if wrong and not to insult and saying someone is stupid.

In fact I have had my Yamaha receiver for a few years and it has had and easy life since I have never used its front channel outputs at all. I have only used the center channel and rear outputs on it which put out plenty of power since the mains aren't draining the power supply dry of power for the other channels. In fact after the first of the year I am going with a preamp for two channel and only using my Yamaha for theater which is my secondary anyway.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    These arguments are why people are starting not to post here. The real answer and logical answer to the question is that with this particular Yamaha receiver there are no preamp outputs in order to run the amp.
    This was implied, if not explicitly stated by GM in post three. No further discussion was really needed. Had nothing else been said, this thread would have ended there.

The real solution hear would be if the OP wants a combination home theater and 2 channel music system utilizing his hafler amp then he would have to upgrade receivers to a model that does have preamp outputs for at least the front 2 channels and that would be the only logical way to do it.
    Agree.

The tape loop output through a preamp can work but it would be a pain in the you know what to constantly change teh volume on the preamp to match the constantly changing volume on the receiver. One could do it but after a week or so I would bet he would want to through the whole idea out the window due to the constant volume matching needs of that set up.
    Agree wholeheartedly with the PITA factor, but the tape monitor will not do what he wants. On all AVR recevers I've encountered, the D/A converters come after the tape outs. This means that the tape monitor is useless for digital sources. It only passes analog signals like a tuner, phono input, "AUX" inputs, or possibly an internal FM radio. No digitally sourced 5.1 channels though. So, for HT purposes, the front R/L speakers would be silent.

Unfortunately with the model of receiver that he has a outboard amp is just not a viable option. I would consider a receiver upgrade or if separates are really something you are looking into since there are plenty of better receivers out there that have the pre outs that can make this happen.
    Agree.

Come on guys thats be helpful here and not just argue back and forth.
    Confronting BS is being helpful. Allowing it to be spread without correcting it is not.
    Last edited by markw; 12-23-2010 at 06:15 AM.

not bad points and the fact that the tape monitor loop would not do digital is a good point and I probably should have brought that up and it woudl of been a worst case deal anyway. All in all a new receiver should be in the Op's future and then start the path of looking for a multichannel amp or look at a preamp processor instead of a receiver and get a multi channel amp for all channels which for anything other than 2 channel will benefit all speakers.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    In fact I have had my Yamaha receiver for a few years and it has had and easy life since I have never used its front channel outputs at all. I have only used the center channel and rear outputs on it which put out plenty of power since the mains aren't draining the power supply dry of power for the other channels. In fact after the first of the year I am going with a preamp for two channel and only using my Yamaha for theater which is my secondary anyway.
    This is the exact configuration that I use my Pioneer receiver in. I power both the fronts AND the center speaker with seperate amps. The Pioneer is only powering the four rear speakers. Two of them are Magnepan MC1's so there's a need to have a good deal of current available. Of course to do this you need a reciever that has pre-outs.

I also use a vintage Pioneer receiver for FM in my audio setup. It does NOT have pre-outs so I take the signal from the tape-out. This is by far the cleanest signal as it bypasses all of the receivers interal circiutry, but you do need an intergrated or preamp to control volume. Works like a charm with my tubed intergrated!

Let's try to keep is light, ok guys?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information