Thread: Do I go for it?

OWNED BY A GREYHOUND PAOGORMAN2001's Avatar

Do I go for it?

Ok
    I am runnig NAD C162 pre C272 power combo with B&W 805S speakers. Boston Acoustics powered sub. Front end is a Rega Pollo CDP
    I have a chance to upgrade to the NAD M3 integrated.

1 ) In your opinion is it worth it and why or why not

2) Am I going to hear a big difference in your opinion?

I don't have the luxury of a A,B test so I have to go with what I read and word of mouth. So I guess I'm asking your opinions on this model upgrade only .Other brands are not being considered. I either do the M3 or I don't do it

Thanks
    Pogo
    Last edited by PAOGORMAN2001; 04-01-2009 at 03:31 PM.
    NAD M3 INTEGRATED

REGA APOLLO CDP

B&W 805S SPEAKERS

BOSTON ACOUSTICS PV700 200 WATT POWERERD SUB

Simple advise

Quote Originally Posted by PAOGORMAN2001
    Ok
    I am runnig NAD C162 pre C272 power combo with B&W 805S speakers. Boston Acoustics powered sub. Front end is a Rega Pollo CDP
    I have a chance to upgrade to the NAD M3 integrated.

1 ) In your opinion is it worth it and why or why not

2) Am I going to hear a big difference in your opinion?

I don't have the luxury of a A,B test so I have to go with what I read and word of mouth. So I guess I'm asking your opinions on this model upgrade only .Other brands are not being considered. I either do the M3 or I don't do it

Thanks
    Pogo
    Pogo,

It's always very desirable to listen to the new equipment in your own system, preferably doing A/B's with your current equipment. Well OK, this isn't always possible, so what then? You can buy sound unheard and be happy provided you listen to a range of reviewers.

Don't take any one person's opinion as definitive; seek out a number of reviews and/or opinions of owners and look for a consensus of impressions. Read between the lines and look for commonalities that suggest the validity of the comments you're reading or hearing, and also the character of sound you are looking for.

As for the M3, I've never heard it. I have owned a NAD C270 and based soley on that, I'd describe the NAD sound as quite warm especially in the mid and upper base, with good but not amazing transparency and slightly subdued highs. From the few M3 reviews I've read, the sound of this unit follows the "house" but with a little more refinement, transparency, and control. Based on what I've read, if you really like the 162/272 sound, you'll love the M3 sound; that is, you'll find it more of the same only better.

But like I said, I'm only one commentator and I'm reporting second hand at that.

Suspended
    I have some doubts as to whether you'd hear a big difference and before spending money I'd have to be sure. I have not A/B so don't know one way or the other. One suggestion I have is to email Jack over at www.spearitsound.com they carry NAD and Jack has always been a straight shooter with me. Ask his opinion on whether the upgrade would be worth it. An email link is on the "used/demo/close out" page.

Thread Information