Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Different receiver

I found the Yamaha RX-397. Is this receiver more natural sounding than the Onkyo TX8222?

Here's the specs on the Yamaha
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...0&CTID=5000600

Here's Onkyo
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...class=Receiver
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Forum Regular
    First natural sounding is a subjective term.Different for everybody.Your best bet is to take your favorite music,listen to them both and compare.

bill

I like receiver that can play direct as possible meaning straight from the CD player or source to the speakers as possible without enhancements or distortion. From what I see it looks like the Yamaha says it's like that but I just needed to make sure if you guys think that the Yamaha is better for that.
    Dallas's Forums

Quote Originally Posted by FeisalK
    and here are two Pantone codes for blue #656, #652
    without going to the Pantone color page to see the colors, which blue is more natural? And, assuming both blues are "natural", which blue do you like better?

point, is none of us can tell from specs - Panasonic XR55 has pretty iffy specs, the way they publish it (100W into 6Ohms at 1KHz) but it sounds really fantastic and has a lot of fans. You'll have to wait for someone who has had both pieces of equipment to post here

there are some factors to consider though: what are your speakers - how much sensitivity and what impedance are they? how large is your room? how loud do you want to listen to (in real SPL terms*) and is the amp able to produce the amount of power required? there's a calculator to estimate how much power you need given these factors, here

* in real SPL terms how loud is 100db?
    I would listen around 80db or 85db at most when I really want to enjoy the music but mostly around 65db.

I am currently using the JBL HLS410 speakers and a Pioneer VSX-405 receiver. Here's some of the specs. I am using these speakers in a med sized bedroom. My room is a rectangle 15 feet long and 12 feet wide and from ground to celling is 8 feet.

HLS410:

General
    Sensitivity: (2.83V @ 1m) 86
    Impedance: 8
    Bass Driver: 4"
    High-Frequency Driver: 10mm mounted in Constant Directivity Horn
    Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 15 - 100 watts
    Dimensions: (H x W x D) 10 x 5 1/2 x 6 1/8"
    Frequency Response: (±3dB) 75 - 20kHz
    Dallas's Forums

Both of these are decent 2 channel receivers. Don't think you'll hear much difference between them. Both should last for many years. I'd pick the one I could get the best deal on from a reputable source.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Oh no, it's creeping down the page! Lock down Rave Recordings ("which NKOTB cd should I buy?") and warn the characters at Favorite Films ("Should I buy the vhs or the dvd of My Friend Flicka?").

Seriously, Dallas, if you're actually looking for input and not trolling, I own both Onkyo and Yamaha receivers. While neither is one of the models in question, my observation is that the Onkyo tends to be more user-friendly and has a remote that is more intuitively simple for me. OTOH, the Onkyo tends to get hotter so your enclosure might be an issue.

Neither sounds "more natural".

What have I started...?

Ok well I will try to find the lowest prices out of the two receivers.
    Dallas's Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Oh no, it's creeping down the page! Lock down Rave Recordings ("which NKOTB cd should I buy?") and warn the characters at Favorite Films ("Should I buy the vhs or the dvd of My Friend Flicka?").

Seriously, Dallas, if you're actually looking for input and not trolling, I own both Onkyo and Yamaha receivers. While neither is one of the models in question, my observation is that the Onkyo tends to be more user-friendly and has a remote that is more intuitively simple for me. OTOH, the Onkyo tends to get hotter so your enclosure might be an issue.

Neither sounds "more natural".

What have I started...?
    What do you mean that the Onkyo tends to get hotter so your enclosure might be an issue? Are you saying that I should still get the Onkyo one since it's easier to use or get the Yamaha? Since it sounds like you are saying that the Onkyo one gets heat problems.
    Dallas's Forums

But I was woundering about this too but do you think that both the Onkyo and the Yamaha will sound more clear and better than my Pioneer VSX-405 receiver? My Pioneer receiver is a 5.1 and it's 200 watts and has Dolby Pro Logic and SFC which I never use since I only have a pair of speakers. I remember that 4 years agao it costed $320.
    Dallas's Forums

the only new Receiver you need is the one that sits ontop of your neck!
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Do you actually have your hot little mits on the Pioneer? I mean, you have it, right? This isn't going to evolve into some drama about your mom taking your stuff?

If you have the Pioneer in your possession, keep it. Upgrading receivers at this level will give you no audible betterment of sound. I would advise upgrading your soundcard or source. Or a subwoofer. Either of those options will provide a greater improvement in sq than plugging up a new receiver.

Actaully, I advise upgrading your speakers but since you won't do that stick with the above.

Hey!! You know who's help you need? You need to talk to "Forever Autumn". She has probably more experience than anyone except Flo. She, above all others, can help you set up the best bang-for-the-buck system. She usually lurks around the "Rave Recordings" forum. Just go to RR and start a thread entitled "Hey FA!!" and you'll get her attention. She's always happy to answer questions.

Cheers

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I guess opinions differ depending on who you are talking to. It's in your hands. You are the most reliable person who could say which is best for you. Listen to them both then hear yourself.

Thread Information