AR Newbie Registered Member

Denon PMA 500AE Record out problem

Hi guys, been reading this forum for a while and have finally registered to get involved.

I was wondering if anyone can help.

I'm working on a setup where an input siginal is to be put into a denon pma 500ae which supplys 2 sets of speakers. i'm then wanting to run an output to a denon av reveiver which will then, if selected supply the sound to the 5.1 system.

at the moment i have the input receiving on the dvd/aux input. i have then tried connecting a rca lead from the tape rec to the av amp but no sound seems to pass through? i've tested the audio leads and prblem definately lies within the amp setup.

any help would be great

thanks

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    What does the owner's manual say about tape connections ? Which REC OUT are you using, Tape 1 or 2 ? Did you try both ?

the manual doesnt say alot to be honest - just describes that section as the tape loop. i've tried both rec out 1 & 2 with the amp selector set on every setting

Forum Regular
    Paolo,

Assuming that you have done everything right, ie, Tape out / Rec. of 1st Amp to Line In of your AV Amp, selector on AV Amp. also set correspondingly, have you tried using another Line In of your AV Amp, one that you know is working ? This is to confirm that your AV Amp is working well. If the same condition persists, and if you have basic electronic knowledge, you could open up your PMA500 and check the Input Module. If it utilises a rotary mechanical selector, you can try cleaning it with contact cleaner and hopefully, this should solve your problem. However, if it uses a solid state IC chip switch, send it out to a qualified technician if you are not confident. It could also be due to dry joints, in which case, you can try re-soldering if you are confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Paolo,

Assuming that you have done everything right, ie, Tape out / Rec. of 1st Amp to Line In of your AV Amp, selector on AV Amp. also set correspondingly, have you tried using another Line In of your AV Amp, one that you know is working ? This is to confirm that your AV Amp is working well. If the same condition persists, and if you have basic electronic knowledge, you could open up your PMA500 and check the Input Module. If it utilises a rotary mechanical selector, you can try cleaning it with contact cleaner and hopefully, this should solve your problem. However, if it uses a solid state IC chip switch, send it out to a qualified technician if you are not confident. It could also be due to dry joints, in which case, you can try re-soldering if you are confident.

Hi, thanks for your time. Have tested things at the AV end and all is ok. The Denon amp is brand new so rather than take it apart i think its time to take it back to the shop.
    Never had a faulty peice of Denon equiptment before - I suppose there can be a first for everything.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Thread Information