• 11-25-2009, 01:47 PM
    Audioman00
    Denon AVR-4306 owners please speak up
    I am currently running this 4306 in plain stereo mode, i just want to know where to set the various levels for the best 2 channel playback possible on this unit, I have the front L and R set to large and cranked up to +12 db, and the other channels turned OFF. I also have an option for input level calibration + and - 12db, as well. What settings would best emulate a normal 2ch receiver? I am trying to judge what -22db vol would be on this unit say opposed to a pma-777 at -22db. (which is about 11 o'clock)make sense? thanks

:5:
  • 11-25-2009, 03:12 PM
    Audioman00
    bump...
  • 11-25-2009, 04:07 PM
    audio amateur
    Give it some time it hasn't been 2 hours...

Personally I'm not sure what you are asking. In 2 channel mode I don't believe that you're supposed to be able to adjust volume levels independently. But then I have no experience with with the 4306. I'm sure someone will be able to help out.
  • 11-25-2009, 05:43 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Audioman00
    I am currently running this 4306 in plain stereo mode, i just want to know where to set the various levels for the best 2 channel playback possible on this unit, I have the front L and R set to large and cranked up to +12 db, and the other channels turned OFF. I also have an option for input level calibration + and - 12db, as well. What settings would best emulate a normal 2ch receiver? I am trying to judge what -22db vol would be on this unit say opposed to a pma-777 at -22db. (which is about 11 o'clock)make sense? thanks

If you are only using it for two channel playback, then any level is sufficient as long as both channels are alike. I would go for +0 myself.

You cannot compare two different units approximate volume without a SPL meter, and in the grand scheme of things it is really not all that important. My advice is to set it to +0 on both channels, and not worry about anything else.
  • 11-25-2009, 07:25 PM
    topspeed
    The best way to listen to any Denon for 2 channel is Pure Direct mode. You don't have to shut anything else off as it will do it for you (except the sub). This will also disable all video modes and any dsp which, in theory, limits any degradation of sound through cross talk. Just push the button and away you go.

Your speakers should be set to large if they are full range. If you are using monitors, the advantage of setting them to small is it will raise the internal crossover level and allow the sub to go a little higher up the frequency range. This can be good or bad depending on your sub, your room, and how well everything is calibrated. Ultimately, the most important thing is that is sounds good to you. Play with it, that's half the fun :)

Hope this helps.
  • 11-25-2009, 10:31 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Topper, haven't seen you around in a while, good to have you back. That's what I was wondering if it had that direct mode. As it's near top of line I would have thought it did.
  • 11-26-2009, 06:08 AM
    frahengeo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed
    The best way to listen to any Denon for 2 channel is Pure Direct mode. You don't have to shut anything else off as it will do it for you (except the sub). This will also disable all video modes and any dsp which, in theory, limits any degradation of sound through cross talk. Just push the button and away you go.

Your speakers should be set to large if they are full range. If you are using monitors, the advantage of setting them to small is it will raise the internal crossover level and allow the sub to go a little higher up the frequency range. This can be good or bad depending on your sub, your room, and how well everything is calibrated. Ultimately, the most important thing is that is sounds good to you. Play with it, that's half the fun :)

Hope this helps.

I agree with using Pure Direct mode as the best option.
  • 11-28-2009, 02:57 PM
    Audioman00
    thanks for the input, I will try pure direct, but I like having the screen on though, and that mode disables the display. thanks
  • 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM
    manlystanley
    Quote:

Just a thought. If your using that thing in 2 channel mode, it's both waisting the capability of the device (surround sound, etc) and the two channel IMHO is not as good as a dedicated unit. Why don't you get a dedicated preamp/power amp or an integrated amp?

I use my Denon just when I watch movies to power the surround sound. Then I focus on making my two channel really good.

Best Regards,
    Stan
  • 11-30-2009, 10:23 AM
    Audioman00
    well... I'm sure you won't believe me but, this unit beat the pants off my PMA-777 integrated, and that intg is one of the best in history.... so... I like it better and I like using it more than the old unit. my ears have made the decision on what amp to use with my spkrs. now I need to make sure the avr is set to perform at it best in 2ch mode.
  • 11-30-2009, 05:29 PM
    rob_a
    Quote:

thanks for the input, I will try pure direct, but I like having the screen on though, and that mode disables the display. thanks

Denon has a clean natural sound already, I personal would run it through the EQ, it just takes a little bit of time to set the levels to your liking. :21:
  • 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM
    Audioman00
    yeah, thanks for the suggestions. I have a cheap Eq that I used for a bit, it sounded better, but lost some of the dynamics, I guess going through a few more loops the signal degraded.
    I just think the pure direct and direct modes are too neutral, so maybe a higher end eq would be the remedy here? thanks
  • 12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
    Mr Peabody
    If you mentioned what CD player you use I missed it. You might try a warmer player to see if that helps. I would not add a cheezy EQ to a receiver like you have. It is usually difficult to add an EQ to a surround receiver.
  • 12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
    Audioman00
    The only source I have right now is my computer. I use Winamp and wma lossless format for my music, and use winamp as a music manager and player. The soundcard is an Audigy 2 by Creative Labs. 109db s/n ratio..etc. I did an A/B comparison to my friend's Pioneer Elite cd player and neither of us could tell the difference. I will heed your advice about the EQ, the receiver is fairly high end and weighs a ton... it sounds pretty decent by itself, but sometimes I use the software eq that comes with winamp to compensate for extra highs and lows, and reduction of midrange (around 1khz) at higher listening levels. thanks!