Help with AMC amps

I have been reading through many A/V boards and have seen a lot of talk about many of the amps spoken about on this board. But there is one amp I see no one talking about. Its the AMC amps. Why is this??? I'v been to their web page and it looks like a good quality amp. Can any one give me any feed back on this amp???

frenchmon

Forum Regular
    Sorry no personal feedback, but have you read the reviews on this site yet? I glanced at a couple and it appears to be an amp manufacture people are happy with. Perhaps you could message a few owners directly, or expand your search to Google if members don't chime in.

Good luck!

terraform

Forum Regular
    Hello, I am running my Proton prepro with 2 AMC amps. The AMC Amps are rated at 150W X 3 and I know it's very conservatively rated. This will be my 4th year with both those amps and I do not regret my purchase one bit. I was almost going to buy the NAD amps until I read the reviews and took the plunge. They are beautiful sounding amps with plenty of power to spare.
    Wooch, Sir TT, etal are a part of a Northern California Conspiracy!
    Smokey, admit you are using your receiver as a prepro!!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The AMC's are decent amps with lots of juice, but I think the fact they're not an established brand-name, and had some early quality control issues hurt them. Let's face it, brand-name is half the battle in this industry, even the more experienced, veteran audiophiles can't help but be a little suspicious against a start up company or a new product.

I've known a few people who've used these amps, never owned one myself. Looks like a good, inexpensive solution.
    You might also consider AudioSource....they're owned by Phoenix Gold, but they make great, inexpensive budget amps IMO, perfect for home theater separates, or modest hi-fi setups. I bought one for dirt cheap last year (free plus $12 to repair a switch) and I was amazed how well it sounded compared to my Rotel, Adcom, and NAD amps. I won't say it sounded better, but maybe equal. The price is right and definitely a step up on most budget/entry level receivers.

Forum Regular

My old 2100...

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I have been reading through many A/V boards and have seen a lot of talk about many of the amps spoken about on this board. But there is one amp I see no one talking about. Its the AMC amps. Why is this??? I'v been to their web page and it looks like a good quality amp. Can any one give me any feed back on this amp???

frenchmon
    ...blew a gasket after only a couple of years. AMC had some quality problems several years ago. I got the amp fixed and sold it. It did sound quite nice, though - a little soft but subtly so.

Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida
    Never owned their amps, but did have their CVT1030s tube preamp and CD8b CD player. Soundwise neither was bad at all, especially the preamp once I rolled a pair of NOS '83 JAN Philips 12AU7 and 12AX7 vacuum tubes (in place of their stock Sovteks).

Quality control was the issue, though...the rubbery plastic knobs on the preamp were loose and flimsy, and the CD tray wouldn't open or close on its own unless I left a disc in the tray (in this case a CD cleaner disc). I could've lived with these little nit-pics, but fit and finish just wasn't impressive after owning gear from McIntosh, Carver, and Nakamichi, et al. But they both did sound great and performed as expected (minus the sticking disc tray). Hopefully AMC has rectified their quality control issues by now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with AMC amps-p2141398_exa.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jt1stcav; 07-23-2006 at 07:39 PM.
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~

"Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

Thread Information