• 10-08-2004, 05:25 AM
    qqkltb
    Denon Avr 2803 Pre/outs Or Pre Amp
    I Have The Denon Avr 2803, Just Got The Outlaw 770 Amp 7.1 Amp. Will The Denon Avr 2803 Pre/outs Sound Just As Good As A Dedicated Pre/amp. This Is My First Venture Into Seperates And I Want To Get All I Can Get From This Amp. Are The Pre/outs On A Avr Just As Good As A Pre Amp? And Why Or Why Not?
  • 10-08-2004, 07:48 AM
    topspeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by qqkltb
    I Have The Denon Avr 2803, Just Got The Outlaw 770 Amp 7.1 Amp. Will The Denon Avr 2803 Pre/outs Sound Just As Good As A Dedicated Pre/amp. This Is My First Venture Into Seperates And I Want To Get All I Can Get From This Amp. Are The Pre/outs On A Avr Just As Good As A Pre Amp? And Why Or Why Not?

This is impossible to answer correctly because their are too many variable. If the pre/pro is garbage or merely mediocre, the Denon will be better. However, I sincerely doubt the 2803 would sound as clean as a Theta Casablanca and considering the $5K+ price tag, it shouldn't be expected to. There are good sounding inexpensive pre/pros and there are horrible sounding units priced in the stratosphere. The determining factor? You.

Talk to your dealer about getting a nice pre/pro on loan and compare the sound to your Denon. Yes, unplugging all the wires will be a pain in the a$$, however this is the only way you will be able to truly know. FWIW, I use my 3803 as a pre/pro connected to a PS Audio HCA2 for two channel listening.

Good luck