Forum Regular

Stereo amp for yamaha 1300 receiver

Was wondering what a good amp would be to add to my yamaha 1300 receiver for music? Have syudio 20's as mains, servo-15 sub.I also use this setup for movies so 50/50 music movies.Just think i could get the music to sound alittle better with a stand alone amp. Been looking at NAD,ROTOL, what are some other good amps? what kind of power should i be looking for? I have about $300 to $400 to spend is there any good ones out there for this?

Forum Regular

Ingrated amp for 2 channel listning

Quote Originally Posted by madmax1
    Was wondering what a good amp would be to add to my yamaha 1300 receiver for music? Have syudio 20's as mains, servo-15 sub.I also use this setup for movies so 50/50 music movies.Just think i could get the music to sound alittle better with a stand alone amp. Been looking at NAD,ROTOL, what are some other good amps? what kind of power should i be looking for? I have about $300 to $400 to spend is there any good ones out there for this?
    What im looking for is 2 channel amp for music to go along with my yamaha 1300 receiver for added music support.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Do you want an integrated or a power amp? How much are you looking to spend? Without knowing this, it's a bit hard to make suggestions.

Your Yamaha actually has a decent pre/front-end section, so the jump to an inexpensive integrated ($300-$400) likely isn't going to make much noticeable difference in sound quality.
    I use Adcom power amps to connect to my RX-V1400 because my room is quite large and I have 7 speakers connected. They do a good job, but again the difference isn't absolutely huge as far as sound quality goes, but it is noticeable at higher volumes, and the bass is a bit better defined.

You can get quality Adcom, Rotel, NAD, power amps on audiogon.com or ebay for $100 to $150 for 60 watts/channel or more. $100 is pretty cheap for a decent power amp. This is what I'd probably do in your position.

I have the Studio 20's as well (my surround rears)...to be honest, you could probably get by with a 20 Watt per channel integrated like the NAD C320Bee if you decide to go that route...excellent integrated with lots of reserve power. I have some 20 yr old 40 Watt/channel integrateds that don't even break a sweat with the Studios (NAD 3140 and 3020)...they go for around $100-125 on ebay too, and aren't bad buys at all.

If I were you I'd try to get my hands on some similar equipment from friends in your area to test out in your system, to see if the improvement is enough to justify the $$$...or go the used/ebay route, because you can always turn around and re-sell and only be out $20 shipping or so...which is probably as much as you'd spend on gas driving around town shopping anyway.

Thread Information