Thread: Kenwood C-1

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Kenwood C-1

Picked up one of these at the local SA today for $35. Not sure if it is worth it and can't seem to find a lot of info on it. Anyone here familiar with it?

Suspended
    Kid you finally did it. The C1 was in the Basic series which was Kenwoods higher end stuff from the normal mass merchant line. You might try Googling "Basic C1" to see what comes up. The matching power amp is the M1 and they also had a step up M2 which was a 220x2 with a built in fan. There was a C2 preamp as well. The Basic line was sold in the 80's and I think finally ended at the beginning of the 90's. I couldn't really tell you anymore what it might compare to but I'm sure it's as good, or maybe better, than any mid-fi stuff today like average Rotel or Adcom. It should be a keeper and a reference for you as you hall in future stuff. And, if you can find a M1 or2 at a good price, you should jump on it.

I don't recommend any of Kenwood's speakers or any separates that have "KM" in the model. The speakers just didn't sound all that great but were priced to sell. The "KM" stuff were separates that came in rack systems when those were big in the 90's. Kenwood made some of the finest tuners going without going ultra high end but you have to find the ones that were sold as separates, not the rack system stuff.

Good job!

Mr.P

Thanks for the info it looks like a struck gold today.
    I do not have any pre-amps so I am not sure which one of my set-ups to use it on.
    My four main recievers are a Pioneer VSX-815, Pioneer VSX-517, Kenwood VR-307 and Kenwood KR-3600.

I picked the C-1 up among a pile of other Kenwood gear so may be there was a M-1 or M-2 lurking there that I missed. Unfortunately the SA is closed tomorrow so it will have to wait till Monday.

There was a KA-88 and KA-895 there in the $30-$40 range. Worth picking up???????

Suspended
    I don't think those integrated amps are amongst Kenwood's better stuff. In order to use the C1 properly you will need a power amp of some kind. It will not work with a receiver. If all is alright with the preamp it was definitely a good find/deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I don't think those integrated amps are amongst Kenwood's better stuff. In order to use the C1 properly you will need a power amp of some kind. It will not work with a receiver. If all is alright with the preamp it was definitely a good find/deal.
    Thanks again.
    I will start looking for a power amp as you suggest.
    I am thinking there may be one there at the SA.
    It's killing me that I have to wait till Monday to find out.

Just a quick update.
    The local Craigslist in my area is showing a Sony TA-N330ES for $125.
    Is this worth it and would it work with the Kenwood C-1?

Suspended
    That would work with the C1. I didn't find much info on the 330 but for $125.00 I wouldn't think it a bad deal. You may be able to offer less. Another amp that is a good bang for the buck used is the Adcom 545 which sells around $200.00 on Audiogon. That may be out of your price range, I know you are a bargain hunter and nothing wrong with that. But the C1 and that Sony would make a nice set up, much better than a receiver.

the sony you're looking at is basically the same amp as the sony TA-N55ES, in fact, I believe it's the same amp, just a different name.

For $125, GRAB IT!
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    I had heard that too. The 55es is 110x2 and was able to be bridged. If you get this one and some day find another you could have a powerful set up. Well, that is iff the 330 is also bridgeable. I heard a Sony ES (not sure the model) drive some of those Jamo speakers with the concrete baffle and bullet looking thing through the mid and I thought it sounded pretty good. Better than I expected for a Sony.

I had heard that too. The 55es is 110x2 and was able to be bridged. If you get this one and some day find another you could have a powerful set up. Well, that is iff the 330 is also bridgeable. I heard a Sony ES (not sure the model) drive some of those Jamo speakers with the concrete baffle and bullet looking thing through the mid and I thought it sounded pretty good. Better than I expected for a Sony.
    Thanks to all for responding.
    The seller actually is selling 2 of these at $125 a pop and mentions that these are bridgeable units. It sounds like from you all are saying I might try to negoatiate to buy both units.

Suspended
    Definitely, if you have the money get them both. You'd have one for each channel. That would be a nice set up.

Suspended
    So kid did you do anything yet? Fill us in.

So kid did you do anything yet? Fill us in.
    Well I am on the waiting list for the Sony's.
    I made the mistake of trying to negotiate a little off the asking price for both units and apparently someone came in willing to pay the full asking price. The owner said if the deal falls through their mine so I hope to find something out in the next day or so. Live and learn I guess. This was my first experience with Craigslist and I was not sure the original asking price was in line but in retrospect I should have just grabbed them when I could.

I am still going to go back to the SA where I got the pre-amp hoping that the matching power amp shows up. I talked to one of the guys there and he said they had a lot of stuff that they got after X-mas that has not been put out on the floor yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed its there.

I promise to keep you updated on my searrch for a power amp. Send a little positive energy my way that the Sony's will end up on my rack.......

Suspended
    Good luck! The Sony's bridged would have made a killer system with the C-1. Some one on another post mentioned Yamaha has a P series power of power amps now and they have large power for cheap. If everything else fails you might want to take a look at those. I also have an Adcom I might be willing to part with.

Just a quick update.
    I just scored a Kenwood KT-7500 off of e-bay.
    This should work with the C-1 once I get a power amp correct?

Suspended
    I'm not familiar with that tuner right off but it will work with the C-1. If the C-1 has a headphone jack you can hook the KT up and play a little.

Suspended
    Kid, www.spearitsound.com has a Bryston 3B used for $349.00. If you can swing it this would be a great amp at a great price. Bryston puts a 20 year warranty on their amps so even an old model it will still rock. This amp is a whole new level of electronics than what you are used to getting and paired with the C1 you'd have quite a nice system.

Kid, www.spearitsound.com has a Bryston 3B used for $349.00. If you can swing it this would be a great amp at a great price. Bryston puts a 20 year warranty on their amps so even an old model it will still rock. This amp is a whole new level of electronics than what you are used to getting and paired with the C1 you'd have quite a nice system.
    Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I still have a line on a couple of other power amps and should know something shortly. If not maybe I can convince my wife that some of the tax return can go towards the Bryston.......

The KT-7500 is not an exactly high end unit from what I have been able to see so far but if you go on E-bay you can see a picture of what I got. This one is in a real nice walnut cabinet with a silver face that would go well with my Dual 1019. The C-1 being all black will look a little out of place but it will still be nice.

Suspended
    When I saw that I thought something was wrong, today they came back and corrected the pricing. They, were, showing a MSRP of $900.00, I didn't think you could ever get a Bryston that cheap. The used price is now $899.00 and I forgot the MSRP. They do have a 200 wpc soundstream for $349.00. I didn't know Soundstream made home amps but if they are half as good as the car amps it would be worth $349.00.

Thread Information