AR Newbie Registered Member

Denon 3803 VS HK 3490 For Music

Help Please Just for Music How would these 2 stack against one another 3803 110WPC Burr Brown vs HK 120WPC #803 is 375 refurbed the HK about the same price new so what do you'll think ?

Is there a way that you could hear both of them yourself through like equipment? I have heard many people compare HK to Denon with different opinions in either dirrection. I sold Denon and HK in the 90's and they were both good for their price class and the sound quality had its differences from each other but were good in different situations. I always thought that HK receivers and amps had a little warmer sound that Denon and while both brands delivered on their rated power easily the HK seemed to be the more underrated as far as realistic output compared to the ratings. But this was 15 years ago or so and companies can change quite a bit in a short amount of time. The fact that two of the three receive brands that I carried back then are now sold at best buy's normal store(Yamaha and HK) and Best Buy's magnolia store (Denon) tells me that something is different because you would have never seen these brands at a department store in my day of working with these brands but all the publications seems to say that Denon,Onkyo,Marantz, and others still are good units. I don't hear much about HK any more and the last unit I looked at was a unit I looked at in passing at Best Buy and it did not look as well built as the units I remembered from the 90's but that does not mean that I am totally against them. I would try to listen to them if possible before buying.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Both are very good units. I like that fact that the HK is a dedicated 2ch unit and has dual sub out, preamp outs, bass management and a phono preamp. It also has a nice warm sound which is a bonus.

The Denon 3000 serives avr's are very good units and will excel at 2ch music as well. That fact that it has digital inputs and built in DAC makes it useful if you want to hook up other digital equipment like the digital sound from your digital cable tv or a digital tuner.

My vote is for the HK for strictly 2ch because of its warmer sound and features.

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereore.../fr/HK3490.htm
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    The HK is way more musical.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Both are very good units. I like that fact that the HK is a dedicated 2ch unit and has dual sub out, preamp outs, bass management and a phono preamp. It also has a nice warm sound which is a bonus.

The Denon 3000 serives avr's are very good units and will excel at 2ch music as well. That fact that it has digital inputs and built in DAC makes it useful if you want to hook up other digital equipment like the digital sound from your digital cable tv or a digital tuner.

My vote is for the HK for strictly 2ch because of its warmer sound and features.

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereore.../fr/HK3490.htm
    The HK 3490 also has a built in DAC.... It has a very impressive list of features for a $500 2 channel component...

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks

Thread Information