Demo model

Printable View

• 07-09-2011, 05:50 PM
    Dustin_Broke
    Demo model
    I did recently got a display model of the Sherwood RX-4109 receiver and I was wondering that since it was used to power the speakers for the store as background music but do you think it still like new? They didn't have the volume up loud so it was very low and they started to use it a year and a half agao. But I got $15 off because it was a demo and it was in use. I just wonder if the amp got any stress from being in use for a long time or should it be perfectly fine? I got this receiver at Radio Shack.

So far everything works and it powers up but just wanted to know that do you think it had any stress because it was on alot. At least it was never turned up since they can't have it too loud.
  • 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM
    JohnMichael
    I am sure it would be fine. If it was used for background music it was never stressed by playing loud music for long hours. The nice thing is they did the work of burning it in for you so it is sounding it's best right now. Enjoy, enjoy and do not worry. You should have the manufactures warranty. Plus you saved money on the deal.
  • 07-10-2011, 05:50 PM
    Dustin_Broke
    What do you mean by they did the work burning it for you so it sounds the best? Are you saying new receivers don't sound there best when they are just out of the box? Then a year later that sound the best? I heard about new speakers sounding tight and then later it will losen up and sound better but never heard about receivers needing to be used for a long time before it sounds the best.
  • 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke View Post
    What do you mean by they did the work burning it for you so it sounds the best? Are you saying new receivers don't sound there best when they are just out of the box? Then a year later that sound the best? I heard about new speakers sounding tight and then later it will losen up and sound better but never heard about receivers needing to be used for a long time before it sounds the best.

There are positions by some that electrical components will perform better after being used a bit.

Because of the large capacitors in my Stratos amp, it sounds better after being on for a week than is just turned on and they are uncharged.
  • 07-10-2011, 06:25 PM
    SlumpBuster
    Nice going JM, you inadvertently started a burn in debate in an SVI thread. :ciappa:

Btw, $15 off for a year and a half old receiver is not a good deal. And I'll guarantee that thing was used roughly in a Rat Shack. Probably wasn't even part of the inventory and the guy who sold it to you pocketed the money you paid. And for the benefit of everyone besides Spanky - I am being serious. In another thread Spanky said it was behind the counter where customers could not reach. That is not a demo. That is a store fixture. That was probably the "rock out" receiver after closing and during inventory and stuff like that.