AR Newbie Registered Member

Decent Basic Pre-amp?

Hi all, my first post here!

I am looking for some advice on a basic pre-amp. Nothing fancy in mind, just need a simple used pre-amp to partner a Parasound 75Watt 2-channel power amp I have in my study.

I am seeing a lot of pre-amps at $300 and up. I'd rather not spend a lot - my days of splurging on hi-fi are on pause, bu I dont want garbage sound either.

Any recommendations on something that I can pick up used for a reasonanly low price? Thanks

If budget is a big concern ...

Quote Originally Posted by Osamede

I am looking for some advice on a basic pre-amp. Nothing fancy in mind, just need a simple used pre-amp to partner a Parasound 75Watt 2-channel power amp I have in my study.

I am seeing a lot of pre-amps at $300 and up. I'd rather not spend a lot - my days of splurging on hi-fi are on pause, bu I dont want garbage sound either.

Any recommendations on something that I can pick up used for a reasonanly low price? Thanks
    A variety of Adcom models, including a number with remote control and some tuner-preamps, are available on eBay, (for example), for under $300. They are good value if not the ultimate in refinement.

You might want to look at the Parasound Z- Pre. It's around 300 new.

Linear Guy

Budget City

If you are trying to put together a perfectly respectable mid-fi, I would suggest the Audio Source Pre-One. It can be had from several sources new for around 160.00, I think. I had one a while back and I recall there was nothing cheap about the sound.

Forum Regular
    Check out the reviews of the Parasound PHP-850. Seen a real nice one locally go for well under 200 used.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by 2chAlex
    Check out the reviews of the Parasound PHP-850. Seen a real nice one locally go for well under 200 used.
    Yeah - been looking out for that but can never seem to get one.

Need a tuner, remote?

Quote Originally Posted by Osamede

I wouldn't be without a remote control; also, I listen to FM radio quite a bit. Here are a couple of options with those ...

nightflier
    If you're willing to try something a little off the beaten track, here are some lesser known brands that may fall into your price range just because they are not as well known, but they still make very good products and have decent followings online: Placette Audio, Acurus, Audiolab, Thule, Jolida, Bel Canto, Electrocompaniet, Kavent, Vincent Audio, Apt-Holman, Luxman, Marsh, Meitner/Museatex, Proton, Perreaux, and I'm sure there are many more that I can't think of right now.

I'm partial to older PS Audio gear, myself, mostly because of the build-quality and I know a tech who likes them as much as I do. Problem with PS Audio is that the company isn't very good about supporting their older products (like trying to get specs, docs, and manuals), because of some changes in the company in the last 30 years. Anyhow, there are plenty of enthusiasts websites and forums to help. And that's only when the gear isn't working properly, which has only happened to me a couple of times and I've owned at least 10-15 of their components at one time or another. Anyhow, PS Audio is a good recommendation, warts and all.

Another option is to look for a preamplifier that has recently been upgraded by someone who knows what they are doing. This is a bit risky, of course, but you could try some of the many online shops that specialize in upgrades. These units then typically fall out of warranty with the company, so they tend to be a bit less expensive in general, despite the upgrades. Maybe on of these online shops has a few models that people never picked up or that someone didn't want to pay for. If you chat them up, they may make you a good deal in the hopes of making you a long-term customer over time. Anyhow, it's always good to befriend a few highly-skilled techs, especially when buying a lot of used gear.

Nighfiler, thanks for the comments/

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Emmm, I think you missed the part of my post where I said I dont even want to pay $300 for a pre-amp. Doubling that price isnt likely to be a recommendation that I would act on. :-)

Thread Information