Forum Regular

Smile Dayton DTA-100 (50wpc) brief impressions

I ordered this tiny wonder from Parts Express the first day it was offered . It came yesterday and today I tried it with some difficult to drive Aerial Acoustic Model 5's ( 84.5 db sensitivity ). I reasoned that if it didn't work out it, it would be an easy return to PE.

Since it's much smaller than my Topping T21 and knowing how exaggerated the power claims are on T amps, I half expected it to run out of gas with the Aerials. WRONG! This 3X5 inch dynamo makes real power. At 12:00 on the volume/on-off control I'm seeing 80+dbs on my sound meter ( spinning a relatively tame Norah Jones CD ) in a fairly large bedroom with tray ceilings.

I had considered selling the watt pig Aerials as I don't have room for a big ugly bedroom amp. Well, now this flea amp on steroids makes me want to keep them. The sound is comparable to the well received Topping but with much stronger bass. At less than $2.00 per quality watt I doubt there's much out there that can compete with the dinky Dayton.

I'll post more impressions after pairing it with some main system Tang Band OBs and Full Range Tektons.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm looking at the PE catalog now and all I see is the DTA-1 15wpc T-amp, which is actually made by Sonic Impact (I have the SI Super-T, which PE dropped in '08).

Have you read about the Trends Audio T-amp, the TA-10.2? or its tube pre-amp brother, the PA-10?

I posted some links to the Trrends Audio on the D amp thread.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

3LB
    OK, so I called PE and they said that they're a new item, and they sold out in a week!

They list them on the website. The rated power @ .04 THD is 30wpc into 8ohms, so its still decent, but it does not list a 4ohm rating. Is this amp limited to 8ohms? How is it with headphones?

Come on dude, you can't just drop a teaser like that and walk away for days on end!

The next delivery date is in May.

Forum Regular
    The DTA-100 works very well with my hard to drive 4 ohm Aerials and I never go above 12:00 on the volume pot for room filling sound. It has much better bass than the DTA-1 (SI) and the Topping. It's very small, probably half the size of the Topping and Trends. I haven't been able to pry it away from Aerials yet but I plan to try it with a tube pre in the TB and Tekton set ups. While it sounds very good I don't expect it to be as resolving as my modded MiniWatt.

The very bright blue light is annoying but the on/off click is hardly noticeable. I also noticed no hum from the speakers which has been a problem with some of the higher power T amps. I doubt there's much out there that offers this much power and sound quality for $99.

Forum Regular
    I hooked the DTA-100 up to the efficient OB Tang Band Monstro's (93db and 8 ohm) today for a listen. One thing I can verify is the DTA-100 makes more power with 4 ohm speakers than with 8 ohm speakers. The PE ad doesn't say what the power rating is for 4 ohm but it's definitely more.

As much as I like the DTA-100 it does not have quite the air and detail of the MiniWatt. I tried it with an Aric 3.8 tube preamp and it sounded very good but not as good as the MW does with that nice gain from the Aric.

For a high end combo at low end money folks couldn't go wrong with the Tang Bands on sale now for $168 each paired with the $99 DTA-100.

3LB
    How does it drive headphones?

I called the PE tech number and talked them at length...the headphone output is a seperate discrete chip (as is the case with most preamps).

I axed them if the chipset was limited to 8ohms, since no 4ohm rating was given. They sez yes, as far they know, the amp should only be used with 8ohm speakers. The gentleman then stated that they were going to test one for that very issue themselves, but the units flew out the door so fast they didn't have a chance to grab it (the amp), so they'll have to wait until next shipment.

So now you must pay attention to how hot or not your unit (the amp) is getting. Lets us know - we're all counting on you.

Forum Regular
    The DTA-100 runs cool with my 4 ohm speakers. PE tech folks aren't always up on their own products. When I first called about the DTA they couldn't tell me if it had binding posts or spring clips. ( for the record it has banana plug binding posts ) Its cheap little brother that costs $39 also runs cool with 4 ohm loads.

If I had some good headphones I'd give them a listen with the DTA-100 but my cheap Sonys are too crappy. I threw out my ancient Pro4a's when the liquid evaporated from the ear cushions.

Thread Information