Thread: Crown Xti-1000

Forum Regular

Crown Xti-1000

Hi, I'm new to this form and had my old Phase Linear 400 series 2 power amp die last week. I was using it in my home stereo hooked up to my faithful Crown ic-150 Pre-amp. I was wondering if a Crown XTI1000 would be a good amp to replace my Phase with? I noticed it does not have RCA jacks in the back, where do I get adapters to hook my ic-150 pre-amp up which has RCA outs. Is this a high fidelity amp, and would it compare to my 200 watts per channel Phase. I would like to buy Crown based on the reliability of my Crown pre-amp.

A couple of thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by tony3d
    Hi, I'm new to this form and had my old Phase Linear 400 series 2 power amp die last week. I was using it in my home stereo hooked up to my faithful Crown ic-150 Pre-amp. I was wondering if a Crown XTI1000 would be a good amp to replace my Phase with? I noticed it does not have RCA jacks in the back, where do I get adapters to hook my ic-150 pre-amp up which has RCA outs. Is this a high fidelity amp, and would it compare to my 200 watts per channel Phase. I would like to buy Crown based on the reliability of my Crown pre-amp.
    I used a Phase Linear 400, (1st series), for many years. It was a faithfull friend and never did quit, but believe me, there are better sounding amps out there today.

The XTi series Crown amps are likely a nice amp, though I have not personal experience with them. I notice that they have DSP (digital signal process), and unless you have a particular need for that, I would suggest avoiding it. Personally I would look at the XLS 202 or 402; but much better still -- for more money -- a K1.

Be aware that the units have fans with the exception of the K series; this means some noise that you might not be used to. The XLR connectors should be no problme: get some "hybid" RCA to XLR male interconnects at Markertech ...
    http://www.markertek.com/index.asp

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I used a Phase Linear 400, (1st series), for many years. It was a faithfull friend and never did quit, but believe me, there are better sounding amps out there today.

The XTi series Crown amps are likely a nice amp, though I have not personal experience with them. I notice that they have DSP (digital signal process), and unless you have a particular need for that, I would suggest avoiding it. Personally I would look at the XLS 202 or 402; but much better still -- for more money -- a K1.

Be aware that the units have fans with the exception of the K series; this means some noise that you might not be used to. The XLR connectors should be no problme: get some "hybid" RCA to XLR male interconnects at Markertech ...
    http://www.markertek.com/index.asp
    Is this the right cable to go from my Crown IC-150 (RCA) to the Crown XTI-1000 (XLR)? RCA Male to XLR Male.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crown Xti-1000-xlm-p-34.jpg.jpg  

that'll do, brother. What speakers are playing?

JRA

Forum Regular

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    that'll do, brother. What speakers are playing?

JRA
    I'd tell you, but I really don't want to start a rant here. I'm running a Pair of Bose 901 series 6's. I know, I know, I've heard it all before, but honestly I like there sound set up in my room with a 16 foot cathedral ceiling. extremely nice low end. Actually today I went to look at the Xti-1000, and think I have settled on the Xti-2000. For about $180.00 more it pumps out 475 watts per channel. Perfect for the 901's. My friend had a Phase linear 500D which was 500 watts per channel, and the 901's just sang with it. I really feel for $180.00 more I'd be silly not to get the Xti-2000. Excluding the speakers ( unless there is something constructive to say about them ) how do you feel about that amp?

I cannot comment on that amp. 901 do pump out alot of bass. Sounds like 901s are bringing smiles to your face. I'll say you are enjoying music more than alot of contributing members here(quite possible more than me). Congratulation and best wishes,

JRA

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I cannot comment on that amp. 901 do pump out alot of bass. Sounds like 901s are bringing smiles to your face. I'll say you are enjoying music more than alot of contributing members here(quite possible more than me). Congratulation and best wishes,

JRA
    Well that was easy. Yes set up properly, and given enough clean watts the 901's can and do sound very good. I noticed that you have a turntable. I just bought a Musichall MMF5 and mounted my Shure V15 type 3 with a brand new hyper-elliptical tip. Sound excellent!

Forum Regular
    Well I've settled on the Xti-2000. Lots of clean power.

Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by tony3d
    Well I've settled on the Xti-2000. Lots of clean power.
    I'm sure you will be very well served by them. For sure, lot's of power: 475 w/c 8 ohms!!

If I were you, I would by pass the DSP operation to get the pure analog sound from the preamp.

Forum Regular
    Yes, I have no intention of using the DSP.

Thread Information