Creek Destiny has a tubelike sound with power ??

Hello,

At the moment i have an Audio Innovations 700 amp and Epos ES-11 speakers. I very much like the sound of this combination.
    But I would like to have a bit more dynamics and stiffer bass.
    Would the Creek Destiny, recommended to sound good wtith Epos, give me tube-like (ambiance, deep soundstage) sound with power ?
    To further better stronger bass-sound i could buy Monitor Audio's RX-6 ? In Stereophile they recommend this combination.

Alternatively i could enhance my tube-amp with a Border Patrol power supply which is expensive but being told about it gives a big difference in sound.

I listen to iMac, Lossless and 256kb AAC files (iTunes) with analog output which sounds good to me

Anyone who can help ?
    iMac with Airtunes (analog)
    Audio Innovations Classic 25
    Epos es11
    Van den Hul D 102 mk 2
    MIT Terminator 3

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    The Destiny is a fine piece of kit, so in short, yes it would probably help your issue with dynamics. Will it be on par with your tube amp? While I have no experience to answer that, I would assume the answer is no. Your EL34s "should" deliver a much more 3D stage with greater depth.

I really like your choice of gear, have you tried or at least considered a subwoofer? Combined with the Epos it will allow for really deep delivery, and also assist in localisation, furthering your stage.

Personally I like the options that Hsu Research have. Perhaps there is a European equivelant so that you can avoid overseas shipping.

Don't give up on your amp yet, with the assistance of a sub, you CAN have it all!

BTW, what kind of tubes are you using?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I looked at the specs for that amp and noticed the damping factor was fairly low. A higher damping factor will better control the woofers. I am using a Krell S300-i and I am surprised over the grip and control it has over the woofers of my Monitor Audio RS6's. The Creek Destiny which uses Mos-Fet output transistors will give a more tubelike sound and has a high damping factor to control your woofers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I have used a subwoofer but was not satisfied. I just wanted a bit more bass and especially stronger because of the tube-amp has weaker bass. The Epos (3 dB at 60 Hz) in room will go a bit deeper i guess. It does not really need a sub i think. Doinig without a sub also keeps friends withe the neighbours.

The Creek tested in Stereophile has a very even "character". I think that is waht i am missing sometimes with my amp. The midrange of my amp ("Classic 25" is kitversion of the "700") is very, very open as with almost all tubes-amps. The bass is there, but weak.

The tubes i use are Sovtek 5881 instead of the EL 34's which sound very good to me. Also i use Blackgates (elco's) in the amp. Maybe the power supply is not so bad idea then after all ? It was told to me to be the best modification by the co-designer of the amp.
    Last edited by pether; 01-09-2011 at 07:02 AM.
    Epos es11
    Van den Hul D 102 mk 2
    MIT Terminator 3

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I would keep the Audio Innovations amp and look for a more bass strong and easier to drive loudspeaker. Depending on budget the Audio Note J or E speakers would be happy with the amplifier as would certain Harbeth and Tannoy loudspeakers (though check the impedance as some are not so easy). Acoustic Zen is easy to drive and offers some bass depth.

I think it is less about the bass and more about moving away from some of the "polite" and reserved sounding speakers that I feel Epos tends to sound like. They're good in their way but tend to sound a bit reserved. A dynamic speaker even with the same bass or even a little less can sound more "alive" and that goes a long way. Even some horn speakers might be nice with the the Audio Innovations amp.

And buying a SS amp because it sounds like a tube amp isn't generally something I would bother doing. If you want a tube amp buy a tube amp and don't go by the reviews because you don't always know which the guy is specifically comparing it to. Tube amps using the exact same tube and a very similar design sound nothing alike. Look at the Antique Sound Labs AQ1003DT versus the Joilda 302B - could not sound more different - use the same tubes.

http://www.divertech.com/asl1003dt.html and http://www.jolida.com/index.php?p=pr...ory=2&model=15

Being in Europe I would suggest visiting the forums there as what is available here may be different and differently priced. I personally prefer a speaker with higher sensitivity and efficiency and a little more boogie factor than the typical British monitors.

Well RGA there are some wright words in your story but:

I like the sound of British speakers very much. The Epos sound not so reserved i think. They are very musical but a little bass-shy. I consider buying Monitor Audio RX-6.

This review in stereophile lets them combine with the Cayin a 50t (tubes) and the Creek Destiny (MOSFET) very well. It could well be that a MOSFET is the wright "middle of the road" way. I will audition both soon.

Of course systems sound different but our ears are also much different!

Thanks for your post!
    Epos es11
    Van den Hul D 102 mk 2
    MIT Terminator 3

Thread Information