Forum Regular

Cool 'lil toy - the PrimaLuna...

...ProLogue 2. She just arrived a couple of days ago, nicely packed and triple boxed. U.P.S. couldn't even f this one up... well, probably not. Even comes with a pair of white gloves so one doesn't get his/her grubby paws all over the finish. Cute.

I was using Rotel separates, the amp was (is) 200 Watts per. Going from that to a tubed integrated, I was worried about bass extension, as well as slam, would be compromised. Not so. The PL actually sounds fuller in the bass... it doesn't have the ultimate control over the woofers that the Rotel does, but who cares - the Prima sounds better. Dynamics are very good as well. I was just listening to Jack Johnson's "Brushfire Fairytales", the opening track. I was on the couch, Missy (my cat) was on her back, lying in the sun. As soon as the snair drum started, we both jumped a bit... her more than me. The volume was only at about 9:30 - plenty of power for me and my room.

My other concern is how noisy this thing was going to be. Again, not a problem. As a matter of fact it is quieter than the Rotel stuff. I have a bit of e-noise from the SS, only really noticable when the volume knob is pretty high - you wouldn't hear any of this while music was playing. The PL is almost dead silent, no matter how far rotated the knob is. Weird. Not only is it quieter in that sense, the music comes from a blacker background... all instruments/vocals are better deliniated.

I was also playing Chuck Mangione's "Feels so Good" (LP) and while I can't really describe it, the music seemed to flow out of the speakers at it's own pace, while the Rotel was PUSHING the music... if you kinda get what I mean. A fun audible sensation.

I have less than 20 hours on it, but these attributes are almost immediately noticible. I'm not sure if she's going to "break-in" any, but I'm happy now.

Oh, this amp should be good in the winter... throws off some heat!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Congrats on the new toy--he who dies with the most wins, remember? Good taste in tunes as well...

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular

Oh, I was spinning some Miles as well...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Congrats on the new toy--he who dies with the most wins, remember? Good taste in tunes as well...

Cheers
    ...most of the music I have from him is on LP. "Water Babies" and "Tutu" was on the menu today. I'll try some live performances tommorow.

Wynton Marsalis didn't suck either :*)

I have a lot of listening to do... again.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Sounds very similar to my experience going from a Parasound preamp/Acurus amp combo to a Jolida integrated. Had the same reservations as you - enough power? Too noisy? Had the same results - penty o' power, less noise than my SS seperates. I didn't start tinkering with tube rolling until 4 mos. into ownership. Haven't looked back!

Congrats.

BTW - post pics if you got'em.

Forum Regular

Tube rolling...

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Sounds very similar to my experience going from a Parasound preamp/Acurus amp combo to a Jolida integrated. Had the same reservations as you - enough power? Too noisy? Had the same results - penty o' power, less noise than my SS seperates. I didn't start tinkering with tube rolling until 4 mos. into ownership. Haven't looked back!

Congrats.

BTW - post pics if you got'em.
    ...yeah, that should be fun. I'll probably call Kevin at Upscale to see which work well with the PrimaLuna.

Sorry, no pix. I don't even have a digicam yet. I might get a cheap one because I want to eBay a lot of things... including the nice Nikon I bought my bride. You know, the camera she never uses...lol.

KT88s and vinyl... wow. I don't think I'm looking back either B^)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    Did you get the built-in phono stage option or are you using a separate phono stage? If you're using an outboard phono preamp, what is it?

I'm using a Bellari VP129 tubed phono preamp. I bought it at the same time I got my Jolida and while it was still $199. Now that I've built my toy fund back up I'm considering something a little higher up the performance ladder.

Forum Regular

We have the same...

Did you get the built-in phono stage option or are you using a separate phono stage? If you're using an outboard phono preamp, what is it?

I'm using a Bellari VP129 tubed phono preamp. I bought it at the same time I got my Jolida and while it was still $199. Now that I've built my toy fund back up I'm considering something a little higher up the performance ladder.
    ...phono stage. I feel the Bellari is a bit better than the built-in from my Rotel I was using, but not miles ahead. Actually, I could tube roll that thing too... maybe I'll call Kevin tonight.

A local dealer said he would lend me the Audio Research PH5. He also said be prepared to buy it once I hear it. In other words, don't take it home 'tll I'm ready.

Iv'e heard the PH3, and that pre was amazing. The new one is supposed to be considerably better.

Am I ready to spend another $2K? Aarrgh...

Actually, I could tube roll that thing too... maybe I'll call Kevin tonight.
    I have an RCA 7025 in the Bellari now. I'm torn because it was one of a pair that I was using in my Jolida. I'll go through the tubes I've tried in the Bellari when I get home and maybe post a list w/a brief description of each. Some are new production and some are old. Trying to pinpoint characteristics gets a little fuzzy because I've been rolling 12AX7 pairs in the Jolida at the same time. I've noticed my tube preference for the Bellari varies depending on what I'm using in the Jolida. For example, I have an Ei gold pin that I like in the Bellari when I'm running a "darker" or more neutral pair of 12AX7s in the Jolida, but when I'm running a pair of brighter tubes in the Jolida, the Ei has too much treble emphasis. I need to quit my job so I can spend more time coming up with the perfect tube compliment, but if I quit my job I can't get more tubes...

Couldn't agree more J.

Congrats on the new amp. It's a fine little beastie.
    Wishing you lots of musical fun.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Forum Regular

Where the Hell...

I have an RCA 7025 in the Bellari now. I'm torn because it was one of a pair that I was using in my Jolida. I'll go through the tubes I've tried in the Bellari when I get home and maybe post a list w/a brief description of each. Some are new production and some are old. Trying to pinpoint characteristics gets a little fuzzy because I've been rolling 12AX7 pairs in the Jolida at the same time. I've noticed my tube preference for the Bellari varies depending on what I'm using in the Jolida. For example, I have an Ei gold pin that I like in the Bellari when I'm running a "darker" or more neutral pair of 12AX7s in the Jolida, but when I'm running a pair of brighter tubes in the Jolida, the Ei has too much treble emphasis. I need to quit my job so I can spend more time coming up with the perfect tube compliment, but if I quit my job I can't get more tubes...
    ...are your priorities? Of COURSE you should quit your job. Just kindly ask your superiors if they can keep the paychecks rolling in - I don't foresee any problems.

Sure... any impressions regarding different tubes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx...

Forum Regular

This amp continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Couldn't agree more J.

Congrats on the new amp. It's a fine little beastie.
    Wishing you lots of musical fun.

Peace

Bernd
    ...to amaze me, everytime I cue up a new rekkid. Don't get me wrong, CDs sound better as well, it's just that there is something tactile, involving, and simply "alive" about the tube/LP combo.

Very addictive...

Thread Information